cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a quiet water pump?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been increasing the amount of boondock camping we are doing so I started carrying a 35 gallon water tank in the truck. Currently using a drill pump with intentions to buy a 12V transfer pump some time soon. But that got me thinking... The water pump in our trailer is the typical loud rattling pump. Not a big deal during the da, but a toilet flush in the middle of the night will wake me up (pump is in a compartment in main bedroom). I figured there must be a "high end" and obviously more expensive pump I could install in the camper and then repurpose the existing pump to become my transfer / backup. Is there such an animal? I'm happy to pay a premium for something smooth and relatively quiet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
I had a noisy pump in a 5th wheel I had. The pump mounted to the floor so I added a rubber pad under it and I added an accumulator tank. It really quieted things down and at night the stool could be flushed several times without the pump coming on.

Having three truck campers and later three 5th wheel rv trailers some pumps were very noisy depending on where and how they were mounted.
I had all types of rubber pads available at work that all had different durometers. From the trash bin I chose a 1/2" thick soft 40 durometer the size of the pumps mounting surface. This cut pump noise 300 percent to super quiet.
The accumulator water tank eliminated constant pump cycling.

Some of the pumps were mounted on a wall and weren't as noisy. My noisy ones were mounted on the plywood flooring.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for snots and grins, put your cell phone on vibrate, and lay it on a table. Grab your wife's phone, dial your number.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
The pump is not very noisy as made, but (as mentioned by others) the installation and the hard lines inside an RV amplify the minor pump sound!! Example: I am using one (same model as inside our trailer) to pump from a 200 gal tank to the trailer up on our property in NE WA. It is "plumbed" with 3/4" hose from tank and then to trailer. You can stand right next to it and all you hear is a hum from pump!! The trailer pump and lines have been modified and insulated from contact with cabinets and floor, and it is still not near as quiet as the outside pump!!! Better than when delivered, but the basic "rattle" is still there, but reduced to a more acceptable level!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome feedback everyone. After reading these replies about insulating the pipes and mounting on something rubber I googled it and found a bunch of videos saying the same thing. Never considered that. Figured the pump itself was just noisy, but insulation and rubber pad is a cheap and easy thing to try. I'll give that a shot first. Thanks all!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

If it's the middle of the night and I hear the pump cycling, I know there is a problem that needs to be sorted out. .....

When the temperature in the hot water tank drops, the pump will run to built up pressure. I turn both off at night.

Never had an issue with it.

Probably because we both get up and use the facilities during the night so that resets the pressure.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I'm not sure if there is a quiet pump. But as above there are a couple of ways to make it quieter.

Make sure the pump is mounted on a rubber or soft foam pad.

Cut the PEX tubing near the pump and add some hose clamps and flexible line.

Use some foam and follow the water lines out of the pump. Wedge a piece of foam between the hard lines and the walls and floor.

Add an accumulator tank into the system. An accumulator will allow a flush or two without turning on the pump making for a silent flush. The downside is once the accumulator pressure bleeds off the pump has to run longer to re-pressurize the system.
Exactly. Except you don't need to cut the tubing. You can buy flexible hose with the fittings at pretty much any hardware store. Your goal is to isolate the vibrating parts from the stationary parts, and use an accumulator to reduce how often the pump runs.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

If it's the middle of the night and I hear the pump cycling, I know there is a problem that needs to be sorted out. .....

When the temperature in the hot water tank drops, the pump will run to built up pressure. I turn both off at night.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I'm not sure if there is a quiet pump. But as above there are a couple of ways to make it quieter.

Make sure the pump is mounted on a rubber or soft foam pad.

Cut the PEX tubing near the pump and add some hose clamps and flexible line.

Use some foam and follow the water lines out of the pump. Wedge a piece of foam between the hard lines and the walls and floor.

Add an accumulator tank into the system. An accumulator will allow a flush or two without turning on the pump making for a silent flush. The downside is once the accumulator pressure bleeds off the pump has to run longer to re-pressurize the system.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
For now fillup a gallon jug or 2 for night flushes and turn off pump. As others have said, i want hear mine, for leaks. Most hardware stores have quality pumps, much better than rv dealers or online.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I prefer a little noise...

If it's the middle of the night and I hear the pump cycling, I know there is a problem that needs to be sorted out. If it was dead silent, I might not find it until it's flooded the trailer...or worse some hidden place where it soaks things every time we use it until the floor rots out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a noisy pump in a 5th wheel I had. The pump mounted to the floor so I added a rubber pad under it and I added an accumulator tank. It really quieted things down and at night the stool could be flushed several times without the pump coming on.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does your RV have a pressure tank in the system? IN my RV the pump comes on whenever I turn on any water. With a pressure tank installed, you could turn the pump off at night and be able to flush the toilet a couple of times and use the tank pressure to supply water.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

I had one once that sounded like a Harley at full throttle...

As mentioned above, the water lines can be a contributing factor. One of mine was loose and it banged against a wall with every surge of the pump. Some oversize plastic pipe clamps and some medium density sponge foam around the water line helped a lot. Also tucking that same foam between the water lines and floor / walls too.

In addition to that, my pump was mounted directly to the floor. I removed the screws, got a square of firm, but not rigid foam / rubber and used it as an insulator to the floor.

It helped a lot but the sound will always be there. You can't get away from the sound of the pump itself.

We leave our pump turned off at night, and don't flush until the morning. No big deal there, a little extra liquid in the bowl until morning.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
> Is there a quiet water pump?

When it's turned off. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Allegro 36LA