cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

JEEP as TOAD

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
I have just bought a 2016 JEEP to pull behind a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire gas unit. I pull a Smart Car now and have NO PROBLEMS so hope the same for the JEEP. THE front bumper has two hooks on top of the bumper. I need to order a base plate, and get it put on with new wiring etc so can pull her. WHAT is the procedure for pulling, like hook up and THEN put Jeep in Park and Neutral in 4WD transfer case. DO you have to go through any procedures special except to make sure transfer case is in Neutral and Automatic tranny in Park which is what the book said but sounds weird to have it in Park. I have an older Blue Ox tow bar and really like it so keeping it for the Jeep.
ANy Caveats to pulling the Jeep Sport model 2D. How ABOUT GETTING A BATTERY CUT OFF SWITCH OR NOT NEEDED? WHEN USING A BRAKE Buddy, does that drain the battery? HOPE I made a good decision to sell the Smart Car and got the Jeep. Jeep was pretty bouncy and rocking a lot on back roads but see so many driving them must be ok.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
24 REPLIES 24

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
all speculation until the OP tells us which Jeep he has.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no steering wheel lock on a Wrangler of that year. IF it is a Wrangler, you have the right procedure to tow.
It might be a good idea to look closely at your possible intent to tow off the front bumper. DON'T use the bumper. There are baseplates that are relatively easy to install and your tow bar will hook easily with. That said, there are aftermarket bumpers that will work to tow off. My '13 Wrangler? I would not trust that bumper to pull anything. There is a hook under the bumper that is attached to the frame that might work if I get stuck. Spend a few more bucks and get a tested and proven base plate made for that Jeep.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
RVER wrote:
DO you have to go through any procedures special except to make sure transfer case is in Neutral and Automatic tranny in Park which is what the book said but sounds weird to have it in Park.

If that's is from the manual for your Jeep then yes that is correct.

The transfer case sits behind the transmission and the drive shafts are hooked to the transfer case. So with the transfer case in neutral it lets the drive shafts spin while towing but no spinning makes it to the transmission. Therefore it is correct that you can put the transmission in park and not damage anything.

Again this is all based on you looking in the actual manual and not just getting information from various forums around the internet.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
What model is the Jeep - a Cherokee will require a wiring harness - yes a brake buddy does drain the battery - need a charge line

and again...to the OP...which model of Jeep? not every model can be flat towed.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, I'm not a very smart guy, but I'd start by reading the owners manual. Especially since you didn't give us enough breadcrumbs to figure out what you own. But my detective skills based on your transfer case and tow hooks on top of bumper tell me it's a Wrangler.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
What model is the Jeep - a Cherokee will require a wiring harness - yes a brake buddy does drain the battery - need a charge line
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Jeep is a great toad. I swapped a Chevy Sonic for a 2015 Jeep and it is much more fun to drive, can goes places a Sonic could not, and in my case NO power needed when towing. The manual points out procedure to assure transfer case in neutral, and transmission in Park. I just hook the Jeep to the tow bar, put transfer in neutral etc. then get out and push the Jeep. If it rolls itโ€™s in neutral. Dump the Brake Buddy and get a Ready Brake. No more taking the Brake Buddy in and out. It attaches between your mh and existing tow bar. No power needed to Jeep, you can remove the key. Jeep removed the steering wheel lock around 2008 May a tear or so earlier.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my 2001 & 2002 Wrangler you have to turn the key on so the steering wheel doesnโ€™t lock. I donโ€™t use mine as a Toad, but Iโ€™ve got a tow bar I bought cheap to tow them if they break down.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œbut see so many driving them must be ok.โ€

Not a good way to make a decision on flat towing. Could get very expensive.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
which model jeep? not all models can be flat towed. check the "recreational towing" section in your owner's manual. you should find complete instructions there. let us know.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK