cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kijiji score - 32 gallon tote tank

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes we camp for a week or two in the same spot and we've been considering the purchase of a wheeled waste tote as an alternative to moving the whole trailer to the dump station.

We've been watching Kijiji for several months and last night I picked up our find - a 32 gallon Tote-N-Stor with all the accessories (tow hook, drain hose and cleaning hose) at about a third of the local dealer price. Our black and grey water tanks are 26 gallons each, so I can dump one full tank and a portion of the other.

[img width=281 height=500]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/652/21292094485_eb981c87fb_z.jpg[/img]

I gave it a good cleaning last night and it's ready for service.

As it happens I was up early this morning and added a page on waste management to our website. Opening sentence: Ew, ew, ew.

http://www.restcure.ca/tech_waste.html
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca
14 REPLIES 14

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 32 gallon tote. We only got rid of it because we hardly used it. Mainly camped at places with full hook ups. The few times we camped at a state park without sewer, we used it with the TT. When we got the MH, we never used it. Even with our tanks half the size of the TT, we learned how to go longer without having to dump. We figured it would be much easier to just crank up the motorhome and go dump, than it would of been with the TT.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at a nice site at a small campground for 3 months each year with water and electric but no sewer hookups. I put the 42 gallon Barker tote in the bed of the truck and use a Flojet macerator pump to fill it. Dump the grey every 5 days or so and the black every 12 or so and it works great. Paid for itself not to have the honey wagon come by for $40 a dump. Moving the camper to the dump station every 5 days was never seriously considered.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 42 gal and it works very nicely or us. I know there are tons of people who will say it's too heavy but even my wife can pull it around and does. We've had good experiences with it. For us it's so much easier than hooking back up and going to the dump station. To us that would be a major PITA.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
allen8106 wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I've had a Barker 32 gallon blue tote for about 15 years now (same one). We take it with us every time we are at at a campsite that does not have full hook-ups, even if it's just a week-end trip. I've towed that tote several hundred miles now between campsite and dump station, and it has been worth every penny we paid for it. About 4 years ago I replaced the wheels as the rubber literally disintegrated on me from so much use. I put original stock wheels back on and it's been in service ever since, going strong. We used it just last Saturday again.

Everyone does their own style of camping. But this is one trailer owner that does not like to break camp once settled in. For us, the tote is priceless!

I also use it at home to flush my tanks out when needed. I have the ability to either dump on the ground or into my septic tank (depending upon which tank I'm cleaning out).

Storing is no problem. It has it's place in the garage when not in use. When in use, it rides in the pick-up truck bed. Gravel, sand, dirt has never been a problem with the tote. A simple trick I have found is to always have a length of rope around to help pull it out of a soft spot near the camper. Once on the road, it tows with no problem.

Our tanks (3 of them) are 25 gallon also. So there's never a problem with over spilling. So, this is one happy camper that has been extremely satisfied with his tote and use it all the time.

I never leave home without it! You just never now what might happen.

For the OP, I think you'll be glad you have one too. After a couple times of use, you'll be glad you have it, for the simple reason you do NOT have to break camp. When holding tanks are smaller, moving the camper every day or every couple days is a real pain.

Good luck! Enjoy your new toy! .... even with the "Ewww!"

Same here except we have the 42 gallon model.

I also use a 42 gallon tote when required. I sold my 32 on Craigslist and purchased 42.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put about 25,000 miles on one, riding in my front storage compartment. Used it one time in several years. Put it on Craig's and the person that bought it was thrilled. I guess it depends on where you camp..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I've had a Barker 32 gallon blue tote for about 15 years now (same one). We take it with us every time we are at at a campsite that does not have full hook-ups, even if it's just a week-end trip. I've towed that tote several hundred miles now between campsite and dump station, and it has been worth every penny we paid for it. About 4 years ago I replaced the wheels as the rubber literally disintegrated on me from so much use. I put original stock wheels back on and it's been in service ever since, going strong. We used it just last Saturday again.

Everyone does their own style of camping. But this is one trailer owner that does not like to break camp once settled in. For us, the tote is priceless!

I also use it at home to flush my tanks out when needed. I have the ability to either dump on the ground or into my septic tank (depending upon which tank I'm cleaning out).

Storing is no problem. It has it's place in the garage when not in use. When in use, it rides in the pick-up truck bed. Gravel, sand, dirt has never been a problem with the tote. A simple trick I have found is to always have a length of rope around to help pull it out of a soft spot near the camper. Once on the road, it tows with no problem.

Our tanks (3 of them) are 25 gallon also. So there's never a problem with over spilling. So, this is one happy camper that has been extremely satisfied with his tote and use it all the time.

For the OP, I think you'll be glad you have one too. After a couple times of use, you'll be glad you have it, for the simple reason you do NOT have to break camp. When holding tanks are smaller, moving the camper every day or every couple days is a real pain.

Same here except we have the 42 gallon model.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Beastlet wrote:
Sometimes we camp for a week or two in the same spot and we've been considering the purchase of a wheeled waste tote as an alternative to moving the whole trailer to the dump station.

John:

Since you already own a Poop Cannon I'm surprised you'd want to fool around with a heavy tote tank. :h There's usually a method to your well organized madness so I have to ask - for longer stays when you might want to off load the contents of your BW tank wouldn't it be simpler to just macerate & pump it into smaller containers already sitting in the back of your truck, just as I do? You can also pump GW if you prefer but I usually just let gravity do the job, even if it does take longer the worst I have to do is lift a full Aquatainer up to the back of the truck ... sure beats dragging around a heavy tote tank! :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a similar tote.
I used it once, when I brought our Southwind home, to clean out the tanks.
Then it sat in the shop for several years, under the work bench.
Why did it just sit there all those year?
I'm glad you asked! I discovered that the Forest Service campgrounds we use when we are not in an RV park with full hookups DO NOT HAVE any dump stations! Dumping the tote in the vault toilets is against the rules. Therefore, carrying it with us would be useless.
Somehow, I just couldn't see it lasting very long if I towed it anywhere from 10 to 40 miles, one way, to dump it.
But, hey, if you found just what you wanted at a good price, and it will work for you, I'm happy for you!
I dusted it off and sold it in a garage sale for $15.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same tote and love it. There is no way I would be hauling the trailer up to the dump station every two days to empty gray water. I've never used it for black water.

I had to look up what Kijiji is. Apparently it never caught on in the U.S. and never came close to challenging Craigslist.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Let's see; 32 gallons x 8 lbs. per gallon is _______

It's 8.3 lbs/gal - that's about 265 lbs. I'm not going to be lifting it - just tilting and rolling.

DutchmenSport wrote:

Thanks for the positive feedback. As for the rope, we always have some with us - straps too. It would be easy to rig a harness to pull the tote from the trailer drain to the truck if necessary.
restcure.ca

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see; 32 gallons x 8 lbs. per gallon is _______
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Used mime 3x times.......more of a PITA then worth the hassle of stowing/packing/hauling.

Really tough to drag thru sand, around trees, soft dirt etc. along side of trailer out to front of trailer when full.

Found it was easier to just 'go dump'

Hope you have more useful experience. In the 'right' kind of camping site could be a nice tool. Good luck!

Thanks - we'll certainly give it a try. Judging by how fast the sell, I don't think we'll have trouble unloading it if need be.
restcure.ca

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Used mime 3x times.......more of a PITA then worth the hassle of stowing/packing/hauling.

Really tough to drag thru sand, around trees, soft dirt etc. along side of trailer out to front of trailer when full.

Found it was easier to just 'go dump'

Hope you have more useful experience. In the 'right' kind of camping site could be a nice tool. Good luck!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31