cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee Stairs failure rate

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are these Kwikee stairs prone to failure or am I just really unlucky? Our motorhome is 2 1/2 years old and I have had them repaired 4 times. The first time, the dealer was able to get them working without replacing any parts. The next 3 times I've had to replace the control module, the motor, and the gear. They have been working fine for the last 6 months or so but I opened the door on the motor home this weekend and they didn't come out. They stayed in the stored position. I opened and closed the door several times and they didn't work.

Next day I opened the door and the stairs worked fine. I am guessing they will fail again soon. The next time they fail, I think I am going to replace them with manual stairs.

Is this typical of the Kwikee stairs or am I just unlucky?

We keep our motorhome stored indoors in a garage and the stairs are lubricated. It's just really frustrating to keep having to repair these stairs.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
18 REPLIES 18

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our Kwikee steps are original to the 15 yr old motorhome.
Only problems we had were lubing the parts at the motor and step joints with a grease. It gathered a lot of dirt and froze things up. Since then nothing but silicone spry. They still get stuck from road dirt when it rains hard sometimes. I think there is a shield missing to keep road spray from hitting as you go down the road. I had to squirt the step swing points or joints the other day with silicone. We have kept them extended and it rained and snowed.
On the way out here at a RV park in Ark I opened the door to exit and get us in close and putting jacks dwwn position for utilities and the step hit a railroad tie around their plantings and broke the pot metal arm that operates the steps from the motor.
RV Park Mgr came to the rescue with a part.
There is another manufacture that produces a set of steps that look almost just, like the Kwikee but has sealed bearings and joints I don't remember the brand but it is something like Seakins.
Then there are the new extend only type steps, which are a step up in design, that are made t fit the same openings but about1400.00 but can be had for much less.
If you can mange to get under the step area, use some diaelectric compound on the plug or electrical splices.The plastic like kind is much better than the older petroleum based diaeltric grease.
One electric is secure wash the steps off with lots of water pressure before lubing with silicone. Heat shrinks on wire joints if need be should keep all moisture out. Wires to the switches may need looking at. And...did someone turn off the step in the closed position by accident. Our control panel is right in the entry way.You can turn them off with steps extended and that is okay as the safety interlock when you put in in gear will retract the steps but better still have the switch in the on position.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Std problems with older units are low battery and corroded ground ... but your rig seems to new for those to be the issue ... but they are easy to check and you should do so anyway. You have had more issues with your steps than 20 RV's combined - I would call the mfg and see what they have to say.
Kevin

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Mine went 15 years before they failed and that was due to my own stupidity.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Doubt whether it is a step issue. More apt to be installation.
Find n indipendant repair man. It is likely something to do with the wiring between the step and devices, such as magnetic switch, ground connection or power supply.
It is hard to find intermittant problems. Just takes some patience and time. Many dealers lack both.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker