cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaf Spring Failure

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
We had a rear axle passanger side leaf spring fail a few days ago on our TT enroute. Fortunately, we had pulled over for lunch and noticed a lean to the TT. There was no other damage. The mobile tech assumed it failed when we stopped. A repair was made with used parts, as nothing could be sourced locally for a few days. After traveling an additional 400 miles to our destination, I noticed the repaired leaf "slipping" slightly to the inside, about 3/4 inch. I was able to tap it back in place with a hammer. We have an 800 mile ride home. I am slightly concerned with the leaf movement. Of course I will keep an eye on it. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Can an additional schackle bolt be adhered to minimize that movement?
My outreach to the mobile tech has received no response. At Myrtle Beach now, back to Buffalo on Sunday. Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
This update is a few months late, but still wanted to share: The clamps held and nothing slipped on our travels home. We upgraded to a heavier load swing on all 4, from 1750 lbs to 2400 lbs. We have towed quite a bit since then. Thanks for the feedback when we were down.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Yea I think the leaves will still slide under the clamp long enough to get home and replace.
Hopefully the OP gives a report.

Well, I don't think I will be pulling axle back in line if the thru bolt is/does shear. I don't think I will be buying tires or fixing other damage when they don't slide. I don't think I will be helping with the bill when trailer must loaded and hauled off the highway. I know I won't take the ride when snot gets loose, the rig starts pinballing off of other traffic.
This site will not let me use the proper name of the game I sometimes play with galloping dominos, but this gamble, IMHO, ain't much to pick up compared to what you lay down. Pay to fix at home, compared to pay to fix where it's at? You do you..,

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yea I think the leaves will still slide under the clamp long enough to get home and replace.
Hopefully the OP gives a report.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
phillyg wrote:
Understand your concern. If it were me, I'd get under there, move everything back into place, and tighten up the u-bolts. Double nut them if you can. Use the best hose clamps you can find, in fact, I'd use 2 or 3 at each end. Check it after 25 miles, and then every 50 miles till you get home and get a proper repair.

First, double nut will keep nuts from turning, but that will not keep U-bolts tight.
And for the people preaching "hose clamps". Have you ever looked at leaf spring? To flex, the leaves must slide lengthwise. If you look at the ends of used spring you can see the marks. And while you are looking notice how the clamp the factory uses works. Pretty rigged to keep the leaves from spinning on thru bolt, but no resistance to sliding end to end. If you clamp the leaves tight you are very likely to break the leaves.

Have to be a pretty good hose clamp to make that happenโ€ฆ
But in the land of rvnet, all kinds of things are โ€œpossibleโ€ that I was never aware of! Lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
phillyg wrote:
Understand your concern. If it were me, I'd get under there, move everything back into place, and tighten up the u-bolts. Double nut them if you can. Use the best hose clamps you can find, in fact, I'd use 2 or 3 at each end. Check it after 25 miles, and then every 50 miles till you get home and get a proper repair.

First, double nut will keep nuts from turning, but that will not keep U-bolts tight.
And for the people preaching "hose clamps". Have you ever looked at leaf spring? To flex, the leaves must slide lengthwise. If you look at the ends of used spring you can see the marks. And while you are looking notice how the clamp the factory uses works. Pretty rigged to keep the leaves from spinning on thru bolt, but no resistance to sliding end to end. If you clamp the leaves tight you are very likely to break the leaves.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Northern Tool online is a good source for US Made springs.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Myrtle Beach is not a remote area...are you sure you can't source new parts?

Yeah, it eats into your vacation to spend the day dealing with a repair and you might pay a premium jumping to the head of the line for repairs but better than hoping for the best and having a bigger failure at freeway speeds on the way home.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
EagleScout-USA wrote:
Yes, one leaf in the pack was slipping. A steel hose clamp is something easily accessible to me at the hardware store and about the extent of my mechanical abilities. I would not expect to be able to crank down on the bolts, as I know the guy mentioned using loctite on the connections. Not sure whether that is good or bad. We were stranded and he got us back on the road, so for the service, we are grateful!

First point; If a leaf is slipping, spinning around center, the bolts are loose. The hose clamp might stop that spin. But to work, the leaves must slide in relation to each other.
Locktite, IMHO, is not a good idea. The U-bolts do not get loose because of the nuts rotating, but because the bolts reshape as the spring starts to work. This is why reuse of U-bolts is not recommended. Retorque often solves the problem.
What you are against now is trying to save the loose bolts will let axle/spring work, stretching bolts. Soon or late, the axle will move far enough to cause issues. If lucky, just wear out tires fast, but just as likely you will wind up once again with a trailer that can't be towed.

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, one leaf in the pack was slipping. A steel hose clamp is something easily accessible to me at the hardware store and about the extent of my mechanical abilities. I would not expect to be able to crank down on the bolts, as I know the guy mentioned using loctite on the connections. Not sure whether that is good or bad. We were stranded and he got us back on the road, so for the service, we are grateful!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you mean one leaf in the pack was slipping out of position... I would wrap it with a steel hose clamp at each end.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anytime a leaf spring is installed the clamp or U bolts need to be retorqued after few miles, sometimes repeatedly until stop moving.
If spring moved in relation to axle, you have sheared the thru bolt.