cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

long term non-use/storage

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have health issues and have not used my Class B Xplorer230XL since last August. I filled the gas tank and added stabil. I winterized the water system and removed the house batteries. I just found out the starter battery is dead and not recoverable. I keep it in my driveway.

I may not be able to use it until mid 2021. Is there anything else I should do? I'm guessing I should remove the bad starter battery and either replace it or just leave it empty.
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
FWIW, in 30 years of professional and shade tree engine mechanics, it โ€œseemsโ€ Ethanol gas is good for a few months un treated, maybe a year treated. Non E gas 6 mo plus untreated year plus treated.
AV or race gas 2 years, no treatment.
EFI engines will handle questionable fuel better (not from a performance or detonation standpoint ) because itโ€™s harder to gun up a sealed higher pressure system.
For carb engines theyโ€™re more susceptible.
Having a bunch of seasonal use engines around the household. Iโ€™ve started running AV gas in the small 2 cycle stuff and things that may sit indefinitely like the backup generator. No need to treat/winterize then. I can turn the chain saw off in February and fire it back up a year later, 2 pulls, no gummed up carb. For example.
The that with untreated 87 pump gas and Thereโ€™s a great chance that youโ€™ll be pulling the carb apart.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
steveh27 wrote:
UPDATE:
I got the starter battery replaced and started it. The engine just purrs. I let it idle for 15-20 minutes.

Thatโ€™s great to hear!
I read your health situation. Hope that goes well and youโ€™re back on your feet soon!
Donโ€™t mind some of the folks here. Pretty self righteous, some of them.

Iโ€™d add, if you can drive it yet this year, run the old gas out of it. Shouldnโ€™t take too many little trips to burn up the gas. BTW you could insure it for a month or so if thatโ€™s concerning to you.
I wouldnโ€™t let the old gas sit another year. If canโ€™t run the gas out, Iโ€™d figure out how to siphon or pump it out. And use it in non critical equipment or give it to a neighbor or something.
I would NOT fill the tank. Yes itโ€™s recccomended by many, but unless you use it before it goes bad (lots to consider with this definition of bad and how itโ€™s used), a full tank of bad gas is can be more problem than itโ€™s worth.
I let every seasonal vehicle/toy sit very low on good treated fuel. No condensation issues. And if there was, a full tank of gas with ethanol and maybe a bottle of Heet, worst case will eat up the water.
If you must or plan to let it sit more than a year, IMO, run it as empty as possible. Add 5 gal or so of. AV gas. Run a little av gas thru the fuel system and park it. AV gas will store ok for up to 2 years. Then dilute/fill with regular gas when ready to run it again.

Take care
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you have it mothballed pretty good. If nothing else start it up every month or so. I am not a fan of letting the engine getting up to running temp. Hot oil falls right back down into the oil pan faster than cooler oil. If you can't drive it at least put it in & out of gear to get the tranny oil sloshing around.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
8ntw8tn wrote:
A little different situation, but you may find some nuggets you can use: When we head for Texas each fall I put Stabil in our Durango and run it for awhile to get the treated fuel throughout the system. Then I connect a battery maintaner to the battery and leave it for 6-7 months. Now, it is garaged, and it's for a shorter term than you're intending, but I believe the packaging on Stabil indicates it's good for a year. Iowa allows me to remove the insurance with no penalty and I remove all but comprehensive coverage. At least then it's covered if a tree falls on the garage. I've been doing this with the same vehicle for the past 9 winters and it's always fired right up when we return in the spring. Hope this helps.

That sounds exactly like what I've been doing for 20 years. This time it'll be a little longer.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
A little different situation, but you may find some nuggets you can use: When we head for Texas each fall I put Stabil in our Durango and run it for awhile to get the treated fuel throughout the system. Then I connect a battery maintaner to the battery and leave it for 6-7 months. Now, it is garaged, and it's for a shorter term than you're intending, but I believe the packaging on Stabil indicates it's good for a year. Iowa allows me to remove the insurance with no penalty and I remove all but comprehensive coverage. At least then it's covered if a tree falls on the garage. I've been doing this with the same vehicle for the past 9 winters and it's always fired right up when we return in the spring. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:
I got the starter battery replaced and started it. The engine just purrs. I let it idle for 15-20 minutes.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan has the highest insurance cost in the country. They made some changes which would affect me in August, but still costly.

Bumpy, I would only be driving around 1 residential circle block. Yes there is a risk, but not much driving by only about 40 houses. Otherwise I would just run it in the drive way.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:

I may get a company to deliver and install the starter battery. Then I could start it in the driveway and maybe circle the block carefully without insurance. That would not be legal, but it should be safe.

so you are not spending $1000 for insurance (or less) and opening yourself to a law suit where you lose everything?
bumpy

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I could insure it for over $1,000 a year, wasted. When I get out of the hospital in 2-3 weeks I will not be allowed to leave my house for 3 months, and then with separation as I will have no immune system for over a year.

I may get a company to deliver and install the starter battery. Then I could start it in the driveway and maybe circle the block carefully without insurance. That would not be legal, but it should be safe. I know that would not get the rpms up very high, but it would be better than nothing.

Yes I'm in the rust belt, but I've stored it iin my drive during every winter for 20 years. I do not drive it in the snow and salt. And it's in excellent condition.

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s a class B, if you can drive, insure it and drive it for your running around once or twice a month. You can fit a lot of groceries in it . Sitting that long the brakes will rust up and brake and fuel lines will rust through. You do live in the rust belt.
Bob
Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't be too much to have someone drive it around a bit, run the gen, shake the fluids and tires. I'm sure there's some folks around happy to check in and help while you recover- don't be shy, this is the time. Take it easy on both of you, and here's to many more trips soon
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

You are in boat country. Barrow a battery to start it and then find someone (they are all over around here (down river) that knows how to "fog" an engine for storage. We do this all the time around here. Worst that happens with a vehicle is that the O2 sensor (~20$) will die because they don't have much sense of humor when it comes to oil.
Block it up to get the weight of the tires and if it is over soil, spread a poly sheet under it so the condensation doesn't rot the frame.
For one year, start with the tank full and stabilizer in it. If it gets on to three years, you will want to dump that fuel. No lead lasts better than the old fuel did because the TEL doesn't age out and the alcohol absorbs the moisture.
Do that, and she will wait for you.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ONLY thing bad about a sitting gas vehicle is the gas. Siphon it out....Give it away to some guy with a gas guzzler. Cars sit on ships for months, then on lots for months. Then we buy them. The lot boy adds fresh fuel. Nothing else is done to them.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would agree with the suggestion to drive it monthly. Get the insurance back in force.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad