cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Trip Considerations

dennydecuir
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings, Travelers!! The wife and I are planning our first LONG excursion, starting in SoCal, North to Seattle, then East to the Mississippi before heading home through Kansas City. The itinerary is still in flux, so that is not the issue of this post, but we're hoping the Community could share some ideas and recommendations to consider before heading out on a long trip. Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer the Blue Highways to the interstates other than around larger cities. We will have a few major destinations in mind when we head out. On travel days, we will go 200-250 miles (4-5 hrs) or less. I use a mapping program to find the general area where we will likely land at the end of a travel day. Using the mapping program and internet sites like RV Park Reviews, RV Parky, Allstays, Passport America, and the Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project; I compile a short list of 2-4 potential stops. About noon, I will call to check on availability. I will usually not rely on just pulling into a campground. Once we arrive; I will ask staff what there is to see and do in the area, look at any brochures they might have and do an internet search for things to do. We have on a couple of occasions stopped for a night and ended up staying a week.

I also use these websites to find attractions and places of interest:
National Parks
National Wildlife Refuges
State Parks
Scenic Byways
Legends of America
Roadside America
Ghost Towns
Slot Canyons
Factory Tours
National Historic Trails
Civil War Trails
State Tourism Websites
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have taken a couple of 7000-8000 mile trips since retiring. I make a plan, look at it frequently, then end up where we end up. We don't sweat it if we end up short of our planned campsite. We try to find local stuff to look at along the way. We have locations that we really want to see, but if we miss them, the world will still be spinning in the morning.
I like the idea of breaking the trip down into mini-trips. I never thought of it, but, that is what we do. I am now planning my next trip that includes the following NP's:Theodore Roosevelt, Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons, Dinosaur, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Rocky Mtn, Devils Tower and the Black Hills area. We have no idea what the time frame will be.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think of your trip as a whole. Break it down into chunks of small trips. Replace all of your tires if you're close to the date of replacement timeframe. . or perhaps wait until you get to Oregon (no sales tax). Get the required maintenance done and you're good to go! Travel secondary roads for the best experience. You'll see more of this wonderful country. I agree with the above post of taking off from home via CA 395 - a beautiful drive all the way. Have a great trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
^^^Excellent advice! Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable knowledge.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
denny,

I posted this about a week ago. Maybe you can get some ideas for your trip.

Taking A Long(ish) Trip
Although I have read oodles of rv.net posts over the past years, I canโ€™t recall ever having read much about readying yourself for a long road trip. My husband, youngest daughter, and I have taken a few three week trips, but due to job/time constraints, I super planned these vacations. And, we always stuck to the plan.
And thenโ€ฆ.we retired. And, since our youngest daughter is still living at home and could thus, โ€œrun the showโ€ (fingers crossed), we decided to plan a trip. Out West. Thinking to be on the road for eight to twelve weeks. Go us!!!!!
Now that we are almost home, I thought it might be advantageous for some future travelers to post the lessons I learned, while both planning and traveling, thinking others could chime in and add their own โ€œtrip tips.โ€

Prelude : we left the East coast July 21, 2018. We headed out West. Traveling through, to name a few states-South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Ohio, and finally, back home. I had reservations for Custer State Park, Glacier, Olympic, Crater Lake, Redwoods, and Yosemite, as well as a few rv parks between Redwoods and Yosemite. Also, a few rental cars thrown in, since we donโ€™t tow. In addition, I spent quite a bit of pre-trip time creating a โ€œtrip planner.โ€ Okay, a fancy name for writing stuff down in a notebook. In the planner I broke the trip into segments, such as #1-home to Custer, #2-Custer to Glacier. Within each section I estimated how long we would travel in one day, and the names, addresses, costs, and phone numbers of two or three possible campgrounds we could stay at each evening. We did not have a specific budget.

We were ready.

Lesson one : traveling is not cheap. The cost of gas is a killer. Prices are all over the places. What we discovered-Costco and Safeway (a grocery store that, in many states, sold gas) had the best prices for gas. You need a Costco membership to pump Costco gas, but anyone can use Safeway. I also downloaded Gas Buddy, an app that was a bit of a help locating cheaper gas prices.

Lesson two : get a vpn (virtual protection network that encrypts your computer info so no one can hack into your computer). About a month before our trip, I researched vpns and bought protection for three years (cheapest way to go, for about $3.50 a month). The stay-at- home, hopefully responsible daughter, texted when a bill arrived, and I paid on-line. Easy peasy.

Lesson three: have a cell phone with a gps app, and two different maps (we had maps from AAA and a RandMcNally book of maps, and at times, one had info the other did not). We also had the book, Next Exit.

Lesson four : rvpark reviews is your friend.

Lesson five : know the cancellation policies of the campground and car rental agencies you reserve. Two weeks into our trip we decided to cancel, due to the massive fires, our Yosemite reservations and shorten our reservation at Redwoods. This then led to a flurry of calls to cancel/reschedule campgrounds and car rentals. We were lucky. Most places didnโ€™t charge us a cancellation fee. And, although I reserved the state and national parks because they fill up quickly, donโ€™t overdue the reservations for run of the mill, overnight stops. Because plans can change. And, not saying we werenโ€™t a bit lucky, but we never had a problem getting a site for the night.

Lesson six : if you are like us, and one partner (in our case, my husband) does all of the driving, then know his/her daily limitations. And, keep in mind, you tend to travel more slowly in an rv than in a car. Consider that when looking at Mapquest. Plus, take a few days throughout the trip and relax. Sleep in, clean up, take a walk.

Lesson seven : plan on time for stopping at grocery stores. When you go into a grocery store, sign up for their rewards card (it takes all of sixty seconds), so that you can take advantage of their sales. If youโ€™re up to it, cook and freeze a few meals before you leave home.

Lesson eight : if the cost of the trip is at all in issue, estimate travel costs before you go. And, try to think about your lifestyle when considering campgrounds-do you want cable tv, wifi, do you feel okay staying at a Walmart parking lot for an overnight? What about a laundry for washing your clothes?

Lesson nine: if you are traveling with another person, make sure you like him/her enough to travel with. After a long day of driving, hiking, etc watch what you say and how you say it. Bring wine. Be kind.

Lesson ten : if you get bothered by constantly dirty windshields and a dirty rv front, bring a bucket, car wash soap, a rag and a towel, glass cleaner, a short ladder, and a long handle squeegee type thing to wash your rv.

Lesson eleven : before you go, make sure your rv is serviced and ready to go.

Our trip is wrapping up after five weeks on the road. The ten to twelve weeks didnโ€™t materialize. A few cancellations, a few shortening of trips thrown in, with a touch of โ€œstarting to miss home.โ€ No problem. We are retired and can always do more later.

We had a fabulous time.
Kathy

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We take a 5000 - 6000 mile trip every year. We still work so it's on a 3 week time frame. We run on the interstates, and usually drive 9-10 hrs a day. Which is fine with us. The captains chairs in the Ford E450 are very comfy, and we trade off for driving duties. Once it starts getting dark we find a rest stop or truck stop and have dinner and go to sleep. Our motto while on our vacation is " just go with it". A good way to find some cool things along your route is to stop at the state visitor centers. The drive and the sites along the way are usually just as interesting as the destinationa. A person once told me that there are only 2 essential things you must have on a vacation... A credit card and a sense of humor. :W
Proud father of a US Marine

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
We have probably taken 25 plus, 3K plus road trips. So these are our thoughts
1) Which will you enjoy more? Planning every night, or going where the wind blows you? Nothing wrong with either approach, folks are just different. We are where the wind blows us.
2) Anything you have every read about, like Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, is you and 50,000 of your best friends. All good stuff to see but they are crowded . Something we don't like.
3) Very often it is the small stuff, that turns out to be the best.
4) campsites are like motels, there is always one somewhere, it maybe 75 miles further than you wanted, but you will find one
5) We are a big fan of KOA's, not because their campgrounds, are all that great.
but because if you have the KOA app, you can decide where you want to go that day, make a res online and have a site without all the worry of "where are we going to stay tonight.
6) Our in-laws, plan every detail, that would drive us crazy. On the other hand our go where the wind blows would drive them crazy. So I think figuring out what makes you happy in that way is a good first step in your planning

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't fight the weather ! This will mean that arrival times, in hours and DAYS, need to be flexible.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Keep reminding yourselves that a long trip is just a series of shorter ones.

Is there a set timeframe, or just basically take as much time as needed?

I have mixed feeling about interstates. They're great time savers for getting to a destination, but no doubt little things along the way will get missed.

Generally I'm ok with missing the minutiae of a long drive, since my time is limited, I elect to spend it on my destination.

My recommendation is take some spare parts and do a thorough check on everything before heading out.

Worst part of a long trip I've had in years past was a broken spring and the repair shop pretending that there's no internet, taking four days to get a replacement in. Next trip I undertake that's more than 1000 miles, an extra spring and hangers will make the trip too, not that I expect to need them.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume your looking at next year or possibly farther out? Plan to stay off the interstate. Maybe head east and get on 395 north. Stattle? Why? Nothing there but more homeless and all the filth thst goes along with it. You could take 395 all the way to US2 east across the top of the country. Lots of wonderful things to see and do