cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

major league parks

gsutton
Explorer
Explorer
not sure this is right place but have never seen a discussion of overnighting at major league baseball parks before or after watching game.i know a lot of the parks have pretty hefty auto parking fees and are not in the best part of town.is this even feasible to think about.
what a fun trip that would be to see a game in every major league park and go to the rv afterward.
any thoughts.
23 REPLIES 23

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
gsutton wrote:
not sure this is right place but have never seen a discussion of overnighting at major league baseball parks before or after watching game.i know a lot of the parks have pretty hefty auto parking fees and are not in the best part of town.is this even feasible to think about.
what a fun trip that would be to see a game in every major league park and go to the rv afterward.
any thoughts.

If you found *one* park that would allow over-nighting you would be doing really, really good.

As others have chimed in - find a campground close to transportation to/from the park.

In most cities - that campground (if there is one) will be really expensive - or a long commute to the park.

On edit: "The right place" (to post)?

You might try - "RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions" forum (here).

~

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
JohnES wrote:
The DW and I are both from the St. Louis area. When we are back for a visit which usually includes a Cardinal game, we go about 40 miles south down Missouri highway 21 and get a campsite at the Washington County State Park. It is about a 30 to 40 minute drive back to STL. The campground has electrical hookups.

There are two different RV parks within 2 miles of Busch Stadium. It would take less time to walk to the stadium than to drive from 40 miles away. And you don't have to find parking.

Plus, they're both bare-bones, so it's like staying in the parking lot of a stadium, only with full hookups.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
goreds2 wrote:
Minor League baseball parks may be a more realistic chance of doing this.

One of the most interesting aspects of minor league baseball is where the stadiums are physically located. Unlike the major leagues where every team is located within close proximity to a major city, minor league teams operate in various geographical locations, from large, medium, and small towns to suburbs of major cities. The benefit of this reality is two fold. First, you get local culture; every ball park has its own unique story with interesting locals. Second, it's easier to locate an RV park close to a ball park in a town, as opposed to a major metropolitan city. Also, some minor league ball parks even allow RVers to dry camp (boondock) in their parking lots.

For information on team schedules and locations visit the official website of Minor League Baseball.

Minor League Park RV Trip
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Minor League baseball parks may be a more realistic chance of doing this.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
I cannot imagine where you could park a larger RV around Fenway Park. Heck, I wouldn't even consider driving one in Boston proper!

Having been to Baltimore and Yankee Stadium, I don't see much opportunity there either. Find a CG and take public transportation in, would be my advice.

As for Fenway yeah nothing I can think of in the way of RV opportunities in the city proper but you do have Harold Parker State Forest about an hour away from the home of the Red Sox. Not sure about any commuter lines in that direction but you can drive in towards the city and maybe leave your vehicle at a commuter parking lot at a lower cost than whatever hellish cost it would be to park it by the stadium.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
For Yankee Stadium, the closest, nicest and easiest to reach place to RV in is Westchester county, IMO. This park is about 30 to 45 minutes away from the stadium via a commuter train, the Metro North Croton-Harmon station of the Hudson Line. Oh and you'll have a gorgeous view of the Hudson River should you opt to leave your vehicle at the campsite.

Here's the info for the park and they have a limited amt of year round RV sites:

Croton Point Park

There is also the well known Liberty RV Park across the river in NJ but it really isn't as convenient for any of the ball parks.

Not sure about connections to the place I know as Shea Stadium but in all probability with additional use of public transportation options (the subway) you can get there from Croton Point.

HTH

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot imagine where you could park a larger RV around Fenway Park. Heck, I wouldn't even consider driving one in Boston proper!

Having been to Baltimore and Yankee Stadium, I don't see much opportunity there either. Find a CG and take public transportation in, would be my advice.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I think there was a time when a few teams allowed RV parking - folks would come in for a series and stay at the stadium. IIRC, Kansas City might have been one of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the policy had changed. Teams are probably leery of having folks on the premises that they might be held "responsible" for.

I did take in a series when my favorite team played the Tampa Bay Rays, combining baseball & the beach by staying at Fort DeSoto. However, I'm in a Class B; might be trickier for larger units, but isn't that what you have a toad for?
2013 RT 190-Popular

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The Twin's Target Field would also be a non-stay situation. Most of the parking is in ramps or Downtown lots. The good news is that the trains go right to the field so getting a camp ground spot outside of the Cities and taking the Rail would be the best solution.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JohnES
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I are both from the St. Louis area. When we are back for a visit which usually includes a Cardinal game, we go about 40 miles south down Missouri highway 21 and get a campsite at the Washington County State Park. It is about a 30 to 40 minute drive back to STL. The campground has electrical hookups.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty positive that overnight parking is not going to happen at Chase Field in Phoenix either.

With the surrounding area, I don't think you would want to, even if they allowed it.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
gsutton wrote:
i think campfire time and jac1982 have got it right.having to travel to the ballpark would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Well, I gave it best shot regarding Anaheim stadium. The one mile away RV park is my go to for RVing combined with baseball. Angels website posted policy specifically prohibits overnight RVing or parking. You may want to check websites, team policies for all the teams, seeing this is a long term goal. Possibly write to their fan liaison and maybe some would offer you a solution. But I think you'll have to be flexible as most of these parks are in urban environments and are not likely to have overnight RV parking. Thus the suggestions posted above..alternatives to get you both RVing and into the games.

Also Orangeland is close to train depot for trips into downtown LA, or south to beach cities.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
Coors Field in Denver would be a no go. They don't even allow tailgating, and the lots are very very tight. I also know it would be a hot mess to take any kind of RV to Wrigley Field, let alone find somewhere to park it.

we took a bunch of friends and family in our 26' class A to Wrigley back in the late 80's. parked it at the convent parking lot a few blocks to the north. traffic was a bear on the way out but we made it.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

gsutton
Explorer
Explorer
i think campfire time and jac1982 have got it right.having to travel to the ballpark would take a lot of the fun out of it.