Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max tire psi vs door panel max load psi

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a tire pressure question. I have a 2006 dodge mega cab 1500, 5.9 hemi. I have a 26 foot starcraft ar-one wide body weighing about 5000 lbs. My tires say max tire pressure is 44 psi. My door panel says max load pressure is 70 psi. Normally I know to never exceed max tire pressure on a tire. Is there something different about towing that allows you to go above a tires max psi? When I put 44psi in all my tires they still look a little low. And when I put the trailer on the hitch it looks really low. Is it bad to put over the max tires psi when towing? Any anwers are appreciated. Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
"WARNING!!!

You need to replace those tires IMMEDIATELY. You've got the wrong kind of tires and they are going to fail due to overloading.

DON"T WAIT!! DO IT NOW!!"

A bit of Chicken-Little here IMO. I just finished a 4700 mile 3-week cruise from eastern Iowa to northern California with both interstates and VERY twisty mountain roads and 8% grades. My '08 Tundra with "dangerous" P-rated tires @ 40 lbs. handled it all confidently and comfortably towing my 7,000 loaded Outback 25 footer.

syndrome85...as others have noted, the original tire size/design/rating is different than what you have on it now. Use the existing pressure on the tire.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
syndrome85 wrote:
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a tire pressure question. I have a 2006 dodge mega cab 1500, 5.9 hemi. I have a 26 foot starcraft ar-one wide body weighing about 5000 lbs. My tires say max tire pressure is 44 psi. My door panel says max load pressure is 70 psi. Normally I know to never exceed max tire pressure on a tire. Is there something different about towing that allows you to go above a tires max psi? When I put 44psi in all my tires they still look a little low. And when I put the trailer on the hitch it looks really low. Is it bad to put over the max tires psi when towing? Any anwers are appreciated. Thanks.

WARNING!!!

You need to replace those tires IMMEDIATELY. You've got the wrong kind of tires and they are going to fail due to overloading.

DON"T WAIT!! DO IT NOW!!

Go to a tire dealer and have them look at the situation.

NEW TIRES are required!
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
syndrome85 wrote:
Hello all,

WARNING!!!

DON"T WAIT!! DO IT NOW!!

Go to a tire dealer and have them look at the situation.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

rcmiller32
Explorer
Explorer
Being the truck is a 2006 the tires were most likely replaced at least once. Sounds like the truck had LT tires when new and they were replaced with P series tires. Look at that door sticker closely and then compare it to the tires. The LT tires ride a little harder but are worth it when towing or you are loaded.
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
Member FROG, FMCA, Life Member Good Sam Club, Member Coachmen Owners Association

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the wrong tires. Those tires are P rated. Looks like your door panel is saying that you're suppose to have LT (Light Truck) tires.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using car tires? (P rated). You should be using LT rated tires. I would NOT exceed tire manufactures rating.

Only advantage of using "P" rated tires is smoother ride - made or grocery-getters.