cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Members who have had by-pass surgery.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was informed this week that I need a quadruple by pass.
I want to hear what I'm in for from those who have been there. How long before I can get back to camping and a normal life style.
I went thru a stroke and heart attack in 2016.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds
18 REPLIES 18

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I feel good about doing it and will find out Wednesday when it will be.
Thanks again.
Eddie
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
After years of watching my weakening aortic valve, I went ahead with open heart surgery in april 2011. Had a mechanical aortic valve installed along with 1 bypass and repair of the aorta. Not quite what you will have but the open heart part should be the same. I won't really try to spell out details but you already know there will be discomfort, etc. The worst part for me was lots of coughing(lungs) and some glitches which extended my hospital stay and required readmission; I think not terribly unusual. Once I was fit for rehab then improvement was good. We cancelled a planned seasonal job at Glacier NP because it would have been early for lifting. But we still visited the Park and hiked at 6000 ft. in mid-summer. Also have a pacemaker and everything works extremely well. I do anything I want including hiking, biking and walking. My 77 years is starting to slow me down now more than anything heart related.
Jayco-noslide

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Randall Rice wrote:
I had quadruple bypass surgery last November 1. I spent a week in the hospital and then was restricted for another five weeks to light activity, but could walk as much as my physical ability would let me. With my six-week checkup, I was released to do whatever I wanted. The doctor's words" if it hurts, stop doing it, but otherwise do whatever you want. Chest exercises are limited for a couple more months. I now do whatever I want at nine months. It returned my ability to be active and enjoy my life!

Sounds like my neighbor. He had to take it "slow and steady" for a while but now works hard at his farm.
Kevin

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sorry to hear the news. What is your EF, heart efficiency? That helps determine your options.

My Dad and my uncle both had 4 way bypasses when they were in their 60s. My Dad is 95 and still lives at home, walks without aids and is active in the stock market. He drives 3 sports cars.

My uncle was playing tennis at 90, but he passed away two weeks ago at age 93.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Had quadruple bypass in April of 2005 at age 62. Six weeks later I was on my way to a 6 week trip around the country in my motorhome. (not the one in my sig) Everyone has a different experience, but I was one of the fortunate ones. No damage to the heart itself and I worked hard during rehab to recover.

As a side note, that was the most stressful trip I had ever taken. Started with an engine replacement (1985 Winnebago) only 3 days into the trip in the middle of Missouri and chronic generator problems throughout the rest of the trip. I survived mainly because of attitude. A good attitude will go a long way to recovery. GOOD LUCK!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
each person is different, you could be back in 4month or never, no scare stuff here each is really different. you have no choice so suck it up, and you,ll do just fine. buddy had his in nov and in may he was fishing on lake erie jumping around like a kid.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
My friend Tom had a triple bypass last winter and went back to working as a firefighter about 8 weeks later. Passed the physical with no problem. Of course he was in his early 50's and in great physical shape when the heart attach hit.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
My father had a quad bypass in his mid-60s, and probably took about 7-9 months to fully recover. He was a good boy and followed doctor's orders about eating, smoking (he quit) and exercising, even walking every day a week or less after the operation, even though he said his leg hurt. (He had more pain in the leg where the vein had been taken from than he did in the chest, interestingly.) The surgery was probably the best thing he ever did, and he continued with an exercise regimen for years afterward.
He always thought he would die in his 60s, but he lived almost to 91, and the bypass never had to be repeated or "fixed." ๐Ÿ™‚
Best of luck to you - I hope your results are at least as good as his were!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Randall_Rice
Explorer
Explorer
I had quadruple bypass surgery last November 1. I spent a week in the hospital and then was restricted for another five weeks to light activity, but could walk as much as my physical ability would let me. With my six-week checkup, I was released to do whatever I wanted. The doctor's words" if it hurts, stop doing it, but otherwise do whatever you want. Chest exercises are limited for a couple more months. I now do whatever I want at nine months. It returned my ability to be active and enjoy my life!

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:

PS... I was told about needing the bypass a couple hours before it happened...didn't have time to think about it!

I heard that!! I had a stress test 4 months before the operation and passed with flying colors. After a trip to the Davis mountains, I called my cardiologist to report shortness of breath while walking. He scheduled an angiogram the next day(bad sign). Just before the procedure he said this will be quick; if we don't find anything you go home in about 2 hours. If we find anything, we will put in a stent and you go home in 5 hours. When I woke up, a doctor was standing next to me looking at a video on the monitor. He looked at me and said "Hello, I am your surgeon and we will be going to the operating room shortly. 100%, 95%, 85% 70% and two of those were in the "widow-maker" My doctor and surgeon were the best and I thank them for being proactive about the issue.
During my stay at home a very good friend of mine was visiting and when I told him this he sorta laughed and said "you know as an EMT, I have picked up patients that had heart attacks the day after passing a stress test. You were lucky." I agreed
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two weeks from tomorrow will be 5 years since my quadruple bypass. The widowmaker was 99% blocked. I was 60 years old, and active,but this came out of the blue. There was no heart attack,though I'm now branded with Heart Disease.
I was off work for 6 weeks and, really, I'd say it took a whole year to gradually get back to normal.
JK
PS... I was told about needing the bypass a couple hours before it happened...didn't have time to think about it!
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I became a member of the "zipper club" and had quadruple bypass in 2009. Doctor required 6 weeks of confinement at home. First week or so you did everything you could to not cough. A stuffed pillow was given to me to hold to my chest when I did cough, it helped. After 2 weeks I progressively got better and able to do more. I felt 99% back to normal by the end of the 6 weeks. The follow up to the at home time was 6 weeks rehab. Luckily for me since I had not had an attack previously I finished rehab early. Some of the other members of my rehab group had attacks before the surgery and took a little longer to bounce back. Everyone is different. Only continuing issue is prescription for plavix daily as a preventative. I did have a stent in 2017 in another artery. It was a piece of cake compared to the bypass.

Good Luck and prayers are with you.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDman wrote:
What does your surgeon say about a time frame?
He said 6 weeks before I can drive. This surgeon is new to me but its all he does at one of the best cardiac hospitals in Ga. He is in the same group as my cardiologist.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had heart surgery but I have had 4 clients go through that and according to them after about 6 weeks returned to normal activities with some limits. They were all doing well when last I spoke with them. As others say everyone is different. It has to be a scary process to go through but you need to have faith in your doctor. He/she will be in the best position to guide you on your limitations. I wish a similar result for you. Please keep us posted.

Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS