cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Metal Valve Stem Caps With Rubber "O" Ring

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Seems that the rubber "O" ring seal on the inside of metal valve stem caps are getting inside of my valve stems. They end up in the inside the stem wall and around the out side of the stem needle valve. This stops air from being filled in the tire. Took the rubber "O" rings out and everything works find. The "O" rings are there to keep out water and dust. Anybody else come across this? The rubber caps do not have this "O" ring which is not needed.
11 REPLIES 11

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Valve core seals valve stem and caps are just to keep valve core clean and to protect from damage

No other function for valve cap so use them with o-ring, w/o o-ring or just plain old plastic caps.

Agree, except that, the O-ring provides a resilient seat. Without it, you will be more likely to need a wrench or pliers to loosen the cap. Or, they may loosen themselves.

For that reason, I would either leave the O-ring, or go with plastic caps.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Valve core seals valve stem and caps are just to keep valve core clean and to protect from damage

No other function for valve cap so use them with o-ring, w/o o-ring or just plain old plastic caps.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

westend
Explorer
Explorer

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I've got them on my truck and trailer. Can't say I really like them much. If I get annoyed enough I might just replace them with plastic caps. Can buy just the caps around town.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Grumpy374 wrote:
Your probably over tightening them, causing the o-ring to deform.

There just supposed to be snugged down, just a bit, after the o-ring makes contact.

Have used that type of cap for many years and never had a problem like yours.
Grumpy

I have put them on hand tight and then they got loose, one even fell off. I don't like tightening them but they don't stay on for me. I would snug them on if they would not get loose.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Put THESE on,never remove them again,problem solved.

X2, got them on truck, trailer and car

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put THESE on,never remove them again,problem solved.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the o rings out and discard them. There is no need to seal a valve cap with an o ring unless you are driving continually through a mine.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I love those caps, never had a problem like you. Must be too tight.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
The o rings are also there to stop minor air seepage from around the valve core from escaping. I agree with grumpy that most likely they are over tight. Since the valve inside stops nearly all the air there is not any real pressure on the cap. A mild snug fit is all that is needed.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Your probably over tightening them, causing the o-ring to deform.

There just supposed to be snugged down, just a bit, after the o-ring makes contact.

Have used that type of cap for many years and never had a problem like yours.
Grumpy