cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mice?

Nads
Explorer
Explorer
I know all the experts claiming alligators and cockroaches will survive a nuclear holocaust but Iโ€™d like to add mice to that list. I had our trailer in storage for two years because of some medical issues in the family. I pulled it out recently and despite leaving mouse poison in it, the mice got in. The good news is they didnโ€™t eat any bedding or cushions, I can vouch for the fact they love paper towels and toilet paper. The bad news is they nested in the storage area under the bed. The smell of mice feces and especially urine is somewhat overpowering. Weโ€™ve tried baking soda, resolve carpet cleaner and fabreeze, all to no avail. Iโ€™m just looking for suggestions before I bite the bullet and take the bed out and replace the whole carpet.
* '01 Chevy Suburban 4 x 4
* 5.3 L / 3.53 / 4 spd HD Auto
* 2003 Trail-lite 8304S
* Reese WD Hitch & Dual Cam Anti-sway
* Prodigy 90185 Brake Control
* 3 daughters, two dogs, one cats, twin grandsons, and God knows what next ?
11 REPLIES 11

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to seal the space around the power cord. I did the foam thing and still had mice. I made a metal shield to fit around the power cord. No mice since. I have since seen power cord seals on line but can't remember where.

Another thought. The mice used the fiber glass insulation from the oven to build a nest. I had to replace some of the insulation. If you see fiber glass in their nest you might want to check your oven.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed that ANY drawers that had fabric dryer shetts in it had no mouse/mice droppings. Guess they really don't like those sheets!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

DallasOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my gosh, THANK YOU! We picked up our MH Friday, and I found a mouse in the basement yesterday! I must stop this!
Having a cabover lasted less than a year. Now "moving" into a 2003 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 28 foot.

jffkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Try charcoal. I help with work on house flipping and cat smell was a bit bad at one place. A couple bags of charcoal was purchased and set in shallow boxes around including at the return air spot. within a few weeks and of course after cleaning, the odor had dissipated and upon completion of all the work before the sale, you would never know the odor was there. I also used it to get rid of the musty smell in the truck after the floor got wet, put a pop case with charcoal in it under the seat for a couple weeks and odor was absorbed. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
After removing the carpeting and bed I'd decide to retain the vinyl flooring based on smell and the amt. of urine stains. Based on your description I suspect it's going to need removal as well. GL

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
the_vfox wrote:
To keep them out in the future, buy a can of expanding foam, fill the areas anywhere in the floor that has openings (IE water hoses and pipes). We had the same problem a few years ago, never had it again after using the expanding foam.

I would agree, with this addendum, I pushed brass wool (steel wool will rust) into the holes, if possible and then use the expanding foam. Also take care to use minimal expanding foam. The highly expanding kind may distort some components and lead to other issues. hth
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
Nads wrote:
It looks like they sheet vinyled the whole floor and then glued carpet over it in the queen bed end of the camper. I assume if I pull the carpet up and clean the vinyl with bleach before putting down new carpet things should be ok?

y
the_vfox wrote:
I would just bite the bullet and replace the carpet.

To keep them out in the future, buy a can of expanding foam, fill the areas anywhere in the floor that has openings (IE water hoses and pipes). We had the same problem a few years ago, never had it again after using the expanding foam.

That is a standard building model for most rigs. They run that through the entire rig and build/cover over it in places. If you scrub it good it should not retain any smells. Something to consider for your carpet replacement would be heavy duty carpet tiles under the bed.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚

Nads
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like they sheet vinyled the whole floor and then glued carpet over it in the queen bed end of the camper. I assume if I pull the carpet up and clean the vinyl with bleach before putting down new carpet things should be ok?

y
the_vfox wrote:

* '01 Chevy Suburban 4 x 4
* 5.3 L / 3.53 / 4 spd HD Auto
* 2003 Trail-lite 8304S
* Reese WD Hitch & Dual Cam Anti-sway
* Prodigy 90185 Brake Control
* 3 daughters, two dogs, one cats, twin grandsons, and God knows what next ?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
the_vfox wrote:

x2. Do it right the first time. If you don't, you will always smell it every now and then..

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you got it right. pull the stuff out and replace, also the plywood under the carpet, sure cure.

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer

Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚