cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave replacement

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive me if this has been answered before, but did a search did not find much.
Question is this. Microwave bit the dust. It was a Samsung, and was attached to the trim piece, which was attached to the cabinet.

Cabinet is above the stove. About the only folks that seem to make one that ties in, is Dometic.

If one just buys a counter top model, it will be unattached, will the thing bounce around much. In other words is it essential to have it bolted down or no?
9 REPLIES 9

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a counter top microwave in a trailer and had to add venting. If they vent to the back there has to be a place for the hot air to go and cool air to get draw into the microwave.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
OkSixpack wrote:
I may be wrong, but I always heard the big problem was how they ventilate, not so much the bouncing around. Sorry, I know that's not an answer, just something else to think about.
Jim

I think this is true from my own research. Many companies that sell microwaves also sell what they call a "trim kit" that includes the front trim and necessary baffles to properly vent the unit to the front. A trim kit is required for a permanent installation in a cabinet. Many also come with the necessary mounting hardware for the permanent install.

Unfortunately, at least in my case, the microwaves that I've found which will fit my RV no longer have trim kits available.

MiPaJacks
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my Microwave with a different brand shopping in Amazon. Had to trim the front trim that holds it in the cabinet, but it wasn't hard. Had to move the holes that the trim bolts to in the back again wasn't hard, works great

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with a $30 unit form Walmart. It's a little smaller than the hole. I used sheet metal screws to attach it to the old mounting plate. There's a bit of a gap around the edge but I feel that's good as it allows for ventilation. I've been using like this for several years.
By the way, there was a recall on my Samsung microwave. I called them with the model number and after a lot of back and forth with a local repair tech who had to verify something Samsung sent me a check for $200. It might be worth you checking into.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Standard size microwave happened to be from Best Buy. Take your measurements and go shopping.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Oksix, Yeah I thought about that too

Donno where did you find that Samsung ? Was it 22 in width or bigger?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replaced my microwave last year with a Samsung. Besides changing the mount plate it was a drop in job.

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
I may be wrong, but I always heard the big problem was how they ventilate, not so much the bouncing around. Sorry, I know that's not an answer, just something else to think about.
Jim

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about a micro, but we have a portable ice maker that sits on the counter. It has 4 small rubber legs and doesn't move when we travel.