cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More RV Regulations

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting article concerning possible new regulations that could affect long-term RV'ers.

Considering I grew up in an era when I could skin my knees, bloody my nose and stub my toes I'm not in favor of anymore government control of much of anything.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
37 REPLIES 37

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:

Much ado about nothing, IMO. Please check paranoia at the door. The government is not coming after your RV.

just remember that paranoids can have real enemies.
bumpy

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
This article does and says only ONE thing, it brings into serious question Mr. Gerbers reading comprehension skills, which apparently are nil.

He has gotten the entire thing backwards. Not just wrong but backwards.

And it's a good thing many of you are not lawyers cause you wouldn't win any cases.

The seminal point in the EXEMPTION of RV's from the proposed regulations (which is what this so called "regulation" which is really just a rule making exercise up for comment, is; that RV's will remain classed as non housing.

THIS DOES NOT affect the way you can choose to use them. It merely takes them out of play in any dispute over the housing regulations.

The Bottom line...the take-away here is: There is nothing to worry about...except Mr. Gerbers education and why it appears to have been so deficient.

From what I have read of his prior to this he at least is consistent in his inability to read a document like this and get it true significance.

He failed to understand the proposed regulation and wrote about it. Now a bunch of members of this forum are further misunderstanding. This is how wild non-sensical rumors spread.

Much ado about nothing, IMO. Please check paranoia at the door. The government is not coming after your RV.

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel is built for full time or part time. It says in their paperwork..."We want our customers to enjoy our 5th wheels, part time and full time. Our 5th wheel is built very well and takes a big commercial vehicle to pull, it is extremely heavy. We have pulled it coast to coast and north to south.
Have heard from some people.....there are no RVs built to live in full time. I think they are misunderstanding the different kinds and manufactures of 5th wheels, trailers, motor homes. Some are built better than others...... People get what they pay for.
We full timed in this one for 8 years. Been RVing for several years before that and this is our 4th 5th wheel. So we have experienced a few different brands. All 5th wheels.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick A wrote:
This may also be of interest to those RV'ers who are also week-end stock car racers.

That is insanity.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
This article does and says only ONE thing, it brings into serious question Mr. Gerbers reading comprehension skills, which apparently are nil.

He has gotten the entire thing backwards. Not just wrong but backwards.

And it's a good thing many of you are not lawyers cause you wouldn't win any cases.

The seminal point in the EXEMPTION of RV's from the proposed regulations (which is what this so called "regulation" which is really just a rule making exercise up for comment, is; that RV's will remain classed as non housing.

THIS DOES NOT affect the way you can choose to use them. It merely takes them out of play in any dispute over the housing regulations.

The Bottom line...the take-away here is: There is nothing to worry about...except Mr. Gerbers education and why it appears to have been so deficient.

From what I have read of his prior to this he at least is consistent in his inability to read a document like this and get it true significance.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Yes sir, I have a permanent residence. It is the second bench on the left in the park. :R

... but on really rainy days I sometimes move to the space under the highway overpass. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
regulation will merely require a sign/plate/or whatever saying something that is widely known already,

Just because YOU know it doesn't mean that most other people do too.
In ALL of my shopping and purchasing and using an RV, I have NEVER heard this......not once.

So my experience makes me believe that it is NOT "widely" known.

any body who steps into a RV be it a A,B,C, park model, 5er or TT and can't tell that they are not stepping into a Pulte built McMansion probably wouldn't be able to read this new sign anyway.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If I recall correctly, Fed. Income Tax was to be a temporary thing. and every govt. agency that has been established historically grows and grows and grows.

bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
The proposed amendment is about "truth in labeling." The current method of distinguishing recreational vehicles (exempt from building codes and HUD standards) from manufactured housing (built to permanent housing standards) was size, and this has become broken by larger park model RVs and large fivers. In addition, park model RVs, particularly, are being sold into the permanent housing market in places where building codes allow this. Many people buying these are led to believe they are getting a mobile home rather than a RV.

The proposal is that RVs built to RV standards be labeled as such, for buyer awareness. It proposes no restrictions on what RVs can be manufactured (indeed, it allows for larger RVs by removing size as the criterion for the HUD standards exemption). It proposes no changes in building codes, which are local, and are the real determinant as to what is considered adequate housing where.

are you aware of the sale of "larger park models" that exceed the 399 sq ft limit. if so, they are not legal now. and since an additional govt. regulation will merely require a sign/plate/or whatever saying something that is widely known already, I just see it as more red tape that serves no useful purpose. will enable setting up a few thousand govt. employees with a job however.
bumpy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The proposed amendment is about "truth in labeling." The current method of distinguishing recreational vehicles (exempt from building codes and HUD standards) from manufactured housing (built to permanent housing standards) was size, and this has become broken by larger park model RVs and large fivers. In addition, park model RVs, particularly, are being sold into the permanent housing market in places where building codes allow this. Many people buying these are led to believe they are getting a mobile home rather than a RV.

The proposal is that RVs built to RV standards be labeled as such, for buyer awareness. It proposes no restrictions on what RVs can be manufactured (indeed, it allows for larger RVs by removing size as the criterion for the HUD standards exemption). It proposes no changes in building codes, which are local, and are the real determinant as to what is considered adequate housing where.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
this is just the first step. as per usual, it will grow like a cancer.
bumpy

I guess I don't understand the new possible proposed regs. This proposal continues the separation between towable RV's from coming under the manufactured and home regs as they have been for decades. It is a placard to that effect. How can this grow as the RV industry wants to keep the two standards different. Also, as price often increases we tend to think in terms of better or higher quality units. As RV's move to full time status, those that will be willing to pay that price and added weight, will not necessarily see better quality in the unit, only an adherance to a different standard.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Only motorized RV units? How about those $200,000 fifth wheels pulled by $150,000 medium duty Freighliner trucks?
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:

Why? How does a placard make or break anything? Why is this a big deal?

this is just the first step. as per usual, it will grow like a cancer.
bumpy

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
tsetsaf wrote:
I for one am against the proposed language and have already written HUD. HUD rules trickle down to ALL housing rules and this one is a big one.

Why? How does a placard make or break anything? Why is this a big deal?
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.