cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Most Satisfactory Roadside Assistancw

jonlin
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have Good Sam Roadside Assistance and are thinking of switching to FMCA Roadside Assistance. Does anyone have any experience with FMCA assistance and how would you rate and compare it to Good Sam's assistance plan?
17 REPLIES 17

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new Coach Net is not the old Coach Net. The name is all they kept.
Refused to help my wife in April. 249.00 I think, we paid old Coach Net be 69.00.
New Coach Net will only tow to nearest facility that "can handle the problem" or 200 miles. A few years ago campground on a lake in middle of Arkansas. dead battery in Saturn still connected to coach, no one around to help us and no cables, at that time to reach from coach batteries, the old Coach Net sent someone from Rogers Arkansas to help us in the middle of the night, over half way across the state.
What good is a 200 mile limit in middle nowhere Texas or Az or Wyoming or Montana and many other places like that part of Arkansas.
There use to be a sign near mt Juliet Ar that said next services 200 +miles, in Missouri?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
After reading mgirardo's post, it seems that the money saved is more important and equates to being the best, rather than the service level rendered.

You must have missed this: "...they (CoachNet) won't tow you where you want to go, unless where you want to go is the nearest repair shop."

That was the deal breaker for us. If I am going to a campground and my TV breaks down 95 miles from the campground, AAA Plus with RV will tow me to the campground I want to go to. CoachNet will only tow to the nearest campground, most likely that is not where I want to go. If there is a mechanic closer to where I broke down, but I want to go to a different mechanic a little further away, CoachNet won't tow me to the mechanic I want to go to.

-Michael

This is a much better explanation. Thanks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
After reading mgirardo's post, it seems that the money saved is more important and equates to being the best, rather than the service level rendered.

You must have missed this: "...they (CoachNet) won't tow you where you want to go, unless where you want to go is the nearest repair shop."

That was the deal breaker for us. If I am going to a campground and my TV breaks down 95 miles from the campground, AAA Plus with RV will tow me to the campground I want to go to. CoachNet will only tow to the nearest campground, most likely that is not where I want to go. If there is a mechanic closer to where I broke down, but I want to go to a different mechanic a little further away, CoachNet won't tow me to the mechanic I want to go to.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
It should be remembered that NONE of these services own their own tow trucks or employ their own drivers. They all have independent tow operators who have signed up to provide services. In some places they may have many trucks available, in others only a few, or even none. So your experience may vary depending on where you are.

And the independent operators you mention are under agreement with multiple providers. Billy Bob Jim who changes your tire is probably under contract to Good Sam, AAA, FMCA, Coachnet, Progressive, Erie, Liberty Mutual, and 2 dozen others.

Billy Bob Jim is going to head to the call that pays the most about 100% of the time, good luck finding out who that is.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
FMCA and Escapees both contract with Saferide Motor Club for their ERS plans. GS contracts with Allstate Motor Club for their ERS plan. On the other hand, Coach-Net IS an ERS company that companies like Ford and others contract with for their ERS coverage.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have FMCA, but we have had CoachNet and currently have AAA. Make sure they service they offer is the service that you need. For example, CoachNet was very helpful and had good customer service, however, they won't tow you where you want to go, unless where you want to go is the nearest repair shop.

The fuel pump failed on our TV, about 80 miles from our destination. Called AAA, they would tow TV and TT no problem, but since there were 4 of us that needed to drive with the tow truck, it would be a few hours before they could get someone to us. Called CoachNet. They could tow us, but not to our destination - only to the nearest campground and mechanic. I even offered to pay the extra to go to our destination. They couldn't do that. That was a deal breaker for us.

We have been with AAA for almost 20 years and have been very satisfied. The discounts at Restaurants, Hotels, Campgrounds, Shops, etc. pays for the service almost every year.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Have had excellent service from coach net for about 4 times over 16 years or so. A tow once to a shop that could โ€œfix my problemโ€ per the stand by duty mechanic on a Saturday night. Was towed their shop Saturday night only to be told by the shop Forman Monday morning that they could not fix. Coach net came and towed me again to another shop on Monday morning . Next time was for a punctured tire. Tire shop delivered a new tire to me and mounted it. The third time the coach net technician diagnosed my problem, dispatched a mechanic with and appropriate part who did the repair along the highway and I continued on. Last time coach net was sending a tire guy to an RV park to change my leaking near flat tire. Not emergencywhile in the park but on Sunday Iโ€™d have to pay his Minium fee of near $400. Found another tire service who would respond on Sunday and he did work for no more than coach net paid him. Saved me $400. I love coach net.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I had bad experience with Good Sam club. They did not seem to have a sense of urgency when I called them as I was broke down at a traffic light. After an hour and a half, the police easily called a tow service.

Good Sam took their time reimbursing me. Any service is better than Good Sam. (In my opinion)

I have had a great experience with Coach Net since 2011. They have a sense of urgency when an issue occurs.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
It should be remembered that NONE of these services own their own tow trucks or employ their own drivers. They all have independent tow operators who have signed up to provide services. In some places they may have many trucks available, in others only a few, or even none. So your experience may vary depending on where you are.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Or there is just a ton more people with good Sam service

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep nobody better than coach net, do you read all the complaints on here about GS ,they all can,t be wrong.

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
I got CoachNet in 2005 when I got my motorhome and have kept it up every year since then. I've had three occasions to need their services (broken hydraulic line, seized brake caliper, tire needing changing). The first two calls required tows while the tire just needed a guy with a jack (it was on my car).

In all three cases, Coachnet gave me excellent service. I was able to rapidly speak with an RV Technician who asked clarifying questions and could have offered suggestions if there was anything I could do. When it was decided that I needed towing, they arranged for a huge tow truck to disconnect my driveshaft and tow us to an authorized facility - both tows were about 50 - 100 miles. They also contacted the facility so they knew we were coming. They also followed up in 2 hrs to see if all was resolved.

Coach Net has worked out very well for me since 2005.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Given all the complaints on this forum about GS refusing service, I wouldn't even think of using them.