cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My MorRyde step solution works!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose this would be a follow up to a previous thread I started some time ago. Click here.

The difference is, we are actually at a campsite now where I had to do this. The 5er is on a sloped campsite, sloping downward toward the back. It was a tough site getting into, because it really wasn't long enough for my camper. I had to back between a tree and the electric post without hitting anything, and there were trees and bushes across the road, preventing a wide turn back-in. But I managed to get the tires and 3 of 4 jacks and all 4 tires on the asphalt site.

I was able to get the trailer auto-leveled. I'm getting pretty good and working that Lippert 6 point leveling system, although it throw an error code, but somehow, was able to get it off and the auto level finally worked.

But after getting it level, I realized just how far off level, front to back, the site was. Yikes!

Well, the ground on the back steps on the back side of the camper was too far down, and the front door ground was too far up. That meant the steps on the back door on the opposite side of the camper was dangling in mid air, even with the feet extension all the way out.

The front door was just too high, not allowing the door to shut.

It was at this point, I was soooooo very happy I've done prior planning. I pulled out the MorRyde long extension and set them up. Of course, those steps are not usable because that last step is about 2 feet in the air. Yikes! But at least the steps are not dangling, damaging the camper suspended in space and yanking screws out.

Here's how it worked out.

And here's a photo of the back of trailer, show just how high the rear had to be raised. That step ladder is a 4 foot step ladder. I had to use the step ladder to reach the contents of that rear storage area.

So, it's quite obvious the back door won't be used this week-end, but at least it's not dangling in space.

By the way, even if we had the traditional folding steps, they would be dangling so high in the air, they'd be useless, unless you were a mountain goat and can pole-vault up those steps. And I doubt very much the GloSteps would reach the ground either. It's just slopped too much.

Meanwhile, the front door on the front of the camper had it's own problems. It was at this point I was glad I had to catti-corner the camper into the spot and it's not truly straight to the pad. The front steps are actually over dirt. So, I was able to simply dig the dirt out and then there was no problem. Actually, there was very little dirt, most of gravel. It was at this point, it made me VERY glad I still continue to carry a foldable metal camping shovel with us. I haven't used that thing in over 15 years. But I did yesterday!

If anyone is interested, we are at Brookville State Recreation near Brookville, Indiana (South of Richmond) site 62.

Once I got the camper back into THIS site ... moving was NOT an option any more. No way. I got in, I was staying put!

That's what makes camping interesting... no two places are EVER the same ... always be prepared for anything!.... especially if you camp in Indiana.
2 REPLIES 2

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of more reasons not to change over to the new style steps. I would have left the rear steps inside. I also wouldn't go back where ever that was.
Glad you could make it work.
Puma 30RKSS

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I see you used the high side step feet extensions on the low hanging step side. Yup, if you have MorRyde steps, a shovel is a must. At the last CG we stayed twice this year (both not so great experiences), first time had to dig out for the step feet, second time I just removed the feet and put a board under the bottom step. Just yesterday I cut several spacer blocks from 3/8" & 1/2" plywood to go along with my other bocking for proper support height on the steps.
While the low side steps are very high, your solution got them out of the way in the RV and can still be used as an emergency exit while preventing damage to the door frame and steps. Clever!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,