cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Class C Owner Confused about Electricity

liquidspaceman
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you guys can help a total dummy out with this question about electrical hookups.

I just bought a newer 2004 RV which I pick up in a few days. Basically, I wanted to hook a few TV's up throughout the motorhome that would be able to play while traveling for my occupants.

Now comes the really really dumb question. This RV has two batteries, one for the back of the home and one in the engine bay at least from what I can see. I know that while driving the alternator supplies power to the front area of the vehicle but does it also supply power to the back or does the back area run off the generator (while in motion)?

Here's the reason for my question. Do I hook the tv's up to be supplied power by the front of the car while in motion or do I just plug them into the regular AC/DC jack in the back of the home? But then wouldn't I need to have the generator running?

Sorry if I'm so confused and my question sounds really dumb. This is my first RV with true power to the back of the unit and a generator. I'm thinking maybe that the RV being started and running supplies power to the second battery as well as the back of the home while in motion?

Edited to add: The unit I bought is a 2004 Class C Thor Chateau Sport 28A.
4 REPLIES 4

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
You most likely have only a 400w or smaller inverter in the front just for the tv, prob located near the tv. This gives you the 120v for that tv. For others you can use a cigarette-type socket to get your 12v, then plug in a small inverter (maybe 200w) to give you the power for another tv. While driving the engine will put out enough to charge the batteries. You may not have a 12v outlet in the back but most do so people can add a rear 12v tv, might even have an antenna outlet back there.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I believe my rig is basically the same as yours. If that is true, the engine alternator keeps both the engine and house batteries charged. You do not have an inverter.

If you have an LED TV you do not need much power to run it. A small inverter, 100-200watts would run it, depending on the size of the TV. Some of the smaller TVs are 12v and have an adapter to run the TV using 120v ac. Mine does. An LCD TV uses a little more power.

Some good reading to acquaint you with RV 12v power is The 12 volt side of life.
Enjoy your new RV, and lifestyle.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
The engine should keep both batteries charged while the engine is running. The rear battery (the house battery) may supply 120 volt power thru an inverter/converter. To see if you have an inverter/converter, plug in a 120 volt TV while you are not connected to shore power (a power post) and see if it works. If it does, you can have the TV on while driving down the road (as long as it is not in the field of view of the driver since that is illegal.) If the TV doesn't work, then you would need to have the generator working to use the TV. As donn0128 pointed out, using the inverter/converter to supply 120 volt power while the engine is not working can run down your battery very, very fast.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum.
Yes you have two batteries. They are generally designated as engine and house batteries.
The house battery supplies 12VDC for lights and refer control board.
To run a television you need to get 120VAC. This can be done vial a generator or inverter. If you have a built in then all ypu have to do is start the generator. If you dont have one, then an inverter might be the way to to. Wiring an inverter to supply power just to the TV is pretty easy. But unless your driving down the road an inverter could kill your house battery pretty fast.