cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New coffee maker

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Weve been using an old style percolator on the stove top for years in the camper. I was afraid my drip unit would be too hard on the batteries. But I've slowed down my former 2 pot habit to what the pot says is about 6 cups a morning. My old drip unit used 120 VAC at 1100 watts when brewing and stayed high on the power draw for much of the 2 hours it was on before auto shutoff. I just bought a little Mr Coffee 5 cup unit and have tried it for this mornings coffee with the kill-O-watt meter on.
Brewing a 5 cup pot, and then running the warmer for the one hour period the timer gives it used .1 kwhr. So apparently I should be able to use this off an inverter in the camper for only about 1.1 Amp hr off the batteries.
The max draw when brewing is about 660 watts, and after about a 4 minute brewing cycle it cuts out and starts cycling about 5 minutes off and 5 seconds on for an hour.

It will be great to not run the stove every morning in the summer adding more heat to the camper.
43 REPLIES 43

emawlaker999
Explorer
Explorer
Try ***Link Removed***.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Itโ€™s a press.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Tried em all! Even gave our friends our $150 Keurig. This is simple, owned for 2-3 years now.

Is that a percolator or press? or something else?

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, I also use the basic $12 on sale 4 or 5 cup (same unit but have different markings) Mr Coffee drip maker. In the big scheme of things, it brews 4 cups pretty fast, uses a low amount of electricity, uses a standard paper filter available everywhere, can pick between 1 cup or all the cups with no need for the overpriced single serve pods and I can buy whatever coffee I like. Not sure what else is necessary just to make a cup of coffee.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
We've been very please with the effective and KISS design of this electric unit. I do recommend PSW inverter, if not on Shore Power. Great coffee, of course with fresh ground coffee:)!

We also have a stainless steel copper clad bottom Revele(SP?), it came from a set given to my parents on their wedding day back in the early 40's. We use it out around the campfire, while waiting to watch sunrises. And, it doubles as a last ditch emergency source of good coffee, in case of major coach problems:)!

May the perk be with you,
Smitty

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/technivorm-moccamaster-manual-coffee-maker-thermal-carafe/?catalogId=21&sku=2345833&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=&cm_ite=2345833&gclid=Cj0KCQiArozwBRDOARIsAHo2s7sLC6VlMIafNGzEFpcLzbvinadtguFpAzxbgK0YrV4pCXFwZ-kRdYkaAiQ9EALw_wcB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tried em all! Even gave our friends our $150 Keurig. This is simple, owned for 2-3 years now.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate the mess of a French press. I also do not like the grounds that make it into the coffee past the press. On top of that I like more than one cup in the morning. Any extra coffee leftover in the press is too cold to drink so that means cleaning the press and making an additional cup, probably 3x in the morning. I will stick with the mellita and make a full thermos of coffee at once, then dump the filter paper and grounds.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once I regain consciousness I'll do that. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"French press is great, makes exceptionally flavorful coffee, but I always considered it a bit of a hassle to clean up."

To elevate the "HASSLE" simply tell Peggy she has a new job! Let me know how that goes.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tvov wrote:
I am surprised so few people are recommending a French Press coffee maker. Simple, uses no electricity, makes great coffee.

We use a big stainless steel percolator when we will be having a lot of coffee. When we know it is just going to be a few coffee mugs, then we use the french press.
French press is great, makes exceptionally flavorful coffee, but I always considered it a bit of a hassle to clean up.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Much as I enjoy my 3 mug stovetop percolator, sometimes when off the grid I use the old broken electric drip that we replaced in the house years ago. I set the grinds in the basket as usual while heating a teapot of water on the stove and then pour it into the grinds. Takes about 2 minutes to pour over the grinds and flow into the decanter. I also disabled the โ€œsneak a cupโ€ spring valve on the bottom of the basket.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

jeremy_kirby
Explorer
Explorer
Since missus have problems with blood pressure she doesn't drink coffee anymore, and I switched to french press - but, well, to be honest I've never liked it as it never came out the same. The roast is the same, it's just me who couldn't master it.
So I swapped it for a single-serve coffeemaker (from Black+Decker, CM618) and it works well for me. It's not an option if you're going to make coffee for your guests (as it's just really small, one travel mug), still results are nice.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tvov wrote:
I am surprised so few people are recommending a French Press coffee maker. Simple, uses no electricity, makes great coffee. \

Well as I said I had a el-cheapo one before and did not like it.
The one I got this week.. Well I've used it twice so far and yes it made a great cup of coffee.. Full up it's 24 ounces Nice. Good flavor, not the least bit bitter (using the same coffee I use in the auto-drip) way better.. Bit messier but this one is not that bad.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Ealdun wrote:
Keurig Plus Single Serve K-Mini Coffee Maker For RV prides itself on being one of the most user-friendly options available in its market. It has numerous features that would be incredibly beneficial to any coffee-drinking RV owner.
But the feature I find myself loving is its using process. You see this model has seamless button control, which makes finding the perfect setting is as easy as possible. Itโ€™s also beneficial that the initial setup has been proven to be remarkably simple.

Coffeemakers review

That is a very odd review page.