Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Ram and chucking in the 5ver

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
My Father recently purchased a 2017 Ram cc. Lb. 2500 6.4 Hein
And a new 5ver denali 316 .
This new puck system people say they have no chucking but I drove it and it chucks quite a bit.
Any info on what he can do .
Thanks
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too
25 REPLIES 25

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I also put water in the fresh tank.Makes all the difference in ride. With it empty or less than half full,yeh ha,rodeo is on.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Durb wrote:
Chucking is caused by the trailer, not the hitch. Various factors such as length, suspension design, and weight distribution will either minimize or maximize chucking. Don't give credit to a hitch mounted via a puck system if it is hooked up to a trailer with a tendency not to chuck. If your trailer has a tendency to chuck any solid joint hitch wether it be B&W, Andersen, Curt or Reese no matter how it is mounted will transfer the chucking energy directly to your truck.
Your choices to mitigate chucking are two fold. One, you can reduce chucking generated by the trailer via trailer suspension shocks or weight redistribution. Changing the length is not practical. Two, you can dissipate chucking energy at the hitch via air ride hitches or pin boxes or other devices such as MORryde and Demco pin boxes. All these methods will help keep chucking energy from your seat back. Some are better than others.

Don't get caught up with truck modifications such as shocks or air bags. Chucking forces are caused by the trailer and will be transmitted to your seat before they even reach the truck suspension pathway.

Durb, this is a great description of the cause of chucking. Most of the 'remedies' out there just don't seem to make a much difference. I know, I tried many of them short of modifying the trailer suspension. The shock absorbing pinboxes do not cure the chucking, it simply dampens it enough to make it acceptable. This is a common problem with FWs. Just look at how many aftermarket companies are making shock absorbing pinboxes and how many are sold. It's a good solution to a design problem that the manufacturers won't address. Jayco (and others) even offer the MORryde box as a factory option.

That's one reason over the road trucks have air ride seats and they take a wild ride on some roads too.

TheCaptKen
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2017 316RES back in may and I've not had the first rattle or chuck out of my hitch. I have a Lil Rocker that I've used for years. Your hitch weight is 2030 empty.
2002 Powerstroke
2003 27RK Wildcat (Cathouse)
2017 Denali 316 RES

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ependydad wrote:
Durb wrote:
Don't get caught up with truck modifications such as shocks or air bags. Chucking forces are caused by the trailer and will be transmitted to your seat before they even reach the truck suspension pathway.

I can agree/attest to this. I swapped out shocks on my truck trying to fix the problem. It hasn't made any difference.

He has factory rear sir ride, no aftermarket shocks available. No need as they are quality US Made Nitrogen shocks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
carpetguy2 wrote:
He his still trying to figure out his truck as Well
I will tell him on the air bags.
Is there a switch .I only drove it once.
Thanks

Once the load is applied push the Alt Trailer button. Leave it alone and it will ride more level and make entry and exit easier. Right before lowering the landing gear go into settings then scroll to suspension and hit tire jack mode. This will keep the truck from trying to adjust it's height when lowering landing gear. Once RV is removed the trucks system will go back to norma. NO BUTTON TO PUSH.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We found that filling up our water tank helped a chucking issue we had on a bumpier interstate.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I had to give up some bed clearance, but lowering/leveling the trailer took care of my chucking problem. I was down to a little over four inches and had to watch it closely.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you who mount their 5th wheel hitch on top of the Ram OEM picture frame adapter (OP said his father had a "puck system") and experience some serious chucking---especially while braking/accelerating, be sure to check the Ram OEM PFA before assuming it's the hitch or the trailer. It's easy to check. Put some tape on the edge of the four long interlocking arms (with the safety pins) where it meets the main rails. If the tape distorts while towing, your Ram OEM PFA is sliding back and forth (fore and aft).

The four male interlocks on the Ram OEM PFA are held tight with 1 7/8" nuts. They have been known to come loose allowing the entire Ram OEM PFA, and 5th wheel hitch, to slide back and forth about 3/4 - 1 inch. Be forwarned, although the nut themselves are easy to tighten (with a closed-end wrench), it is very difficult to tighten them and have them stay in alignment with the truck's female interlock.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:

I can agree/attest to this. I swapped out shocks on my truck trying to fix the problem. It hasn't made any difference.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Pin weight..

What is it??????

Light pin (less then 20% of actual trailer weight) will cause 'chucking'
Add in nose-high.....chuck.chuck.chuck

Man, that describes my situation to a "T". 17% pin weight and running nose high until I can get to someone with tools to raise the pinbox.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
He his still trying to figure out his truck as Well
I will tell him on the air bags.
Is there a switch .I only drove it once.
Thanks
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
carpetguy2 wrote:
Ram came new with air bags .Wasn't that I was concerned about.I will have to try to lower the pin box and see about the hitch if I can lower that too
Thanks again

Does he run his Factory Rear Air bags in AltTrailer Ride Height? If not tell him to do so.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Chucking is caused by the trailer, not the hitch"

NOT always true. Look at the Curt system. The hitch head pivots several inches below the kingpin elevation. The B&W pivots at the king pin elevation. I will guarantee his RV is nose light causing this.

Lower the hitch as low as possible while maintaining 6" bed clearance. Also be sure the RV rides level. It's NOT the hitch.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Ram came new with air bags .Wasn't that I was concerned about.I will have to try to lower the pin box and see about the hitch if I can lower that too
Thanks again
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too