Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Ram and chucking in the 5ver

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
My Father recently purchased a 2017 Ram cc. Lb. 2500 6.4 Hein
And a new 5ver denali 316 .
This new puck system people say they have no chucking but I drove it and it chucks quite a bit.
Any info on what he can do .
Thanks
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too
25 REPLIES 25

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Chucking is caused by the trailer, not the hitch. Various factors such as length, suspension design, and weight distribution will either minimize or maximize chucking. Don't give credit to a hitch mounted via a puck system if it is hooked up to a trailer with a tendency not to chuck. If your trailer has a tendency to chuck any solid joint hitch wether it be B&W, Andersen, Curt or Reese no matter how it is mounted will transfer the chucking energy directly to your truck.
Your choices to mitigate chucking are two fold. One, you can reduce chucking generated by the trailer via trailer suspension shocks or weight redistribution. Changing the length is not practical. Two, you can dissipate chucking energy at the hitch via air ride hitches or pin boxes or other devices such as MORryde and Demco pin boxes. All these methods will help keep chucking energy from your seat back. Some are better than others.

Don't get caught up with truck modifications such as shocks or air bags. Chucking forces are caused by the trailer and will be transmitted to your seat before they even reach the truck suspension pathway.

Durb, this is a great description of the cause of chucking. Most of the 'remedies' out there just don't seem to make a much difference. I know, I tried many of them short of modifying the trailer suspension. The shock absorbing pinboxes do not cure the chucking, it simply dampens it enough to make it acceptable. This is a common problem with FWs. Just look at how many aftermarket companies are making shock absorbing pinboxes and how many are sold. It's a good solution to a design problem that the manufacturers won't address. Jayco (and others) even offer the MORryde box as a factory option.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
I bought a new 5th wheel 5 months ago and have been fighting a chucking, jerking motion over bumps ever since. Leveled trailer, adjusted pin weight, put Bilsteins on my truck...nothing helped until I finally bought a MORryde rubber pinbox. It made a huge difference. I wouldn't own another 5th wheel without a MORryde or similar shocking absorbing pinbox.

Another good one is the Roto-flex pinbox, I have it and it eliminated 99% of the chucking I had though it wasn't really bad to begin with.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Chucking is caused by the trailer, not the hitch. Various factors such as length, suspension design, and weight distribution will either minimize or maximize chucking. Don't give credit to a hitch mounted via a puck system if it is hooked up to a trailer with a tendency not to chuck. If your trailer has a tendency to chuck any solid joint hitch wether it be B&W, Andersen, Curt or Reese no matter how it is mounted will transfer the chucking energy directly to your truck.

Your choices to mitigate chucking are two fold. One, you can reduce chucking generated by the trailer via trailer suspension shocks or weight redistribution. Changing the length is not practical. Two, you can dissipate chucking energy at the hitch via air ride hitches or pin boxes or other devices such as MORryde and Demco pin boxes. All these methods will help keep chucking energy from your seat back. Some are better than others.

Don't get caught up with truck modifications such as shocks or air bags. Chucking forces are caused by the trailer and will be transmitted to your seat before they even reach the truck suspension pathway.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try adding some pin weight along with leveling. I use a air ride pin box which helps a lot.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of his pin weight to be honest and couldn't even guess.know his trailer is 10600 empty.And master bedroom is in front with very little in front of the rv.
Just trying to help him figure it out.
I can lower the pin box only 1 hole.
I might try that and see.
Was seeing if anyone else had a issue like this
Thanks again
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Pin weight too low?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pin weight..

What is it??????

Light pin (less then 20% of actual trailer weight) will cause 'chucking'
Add in nose-high.....chuck.chuck.chuck
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
He is a bit nose high.He is using the B&W hitch puck .
I have a chevy 3500 with a hi rise hitch and a little nose high but his seem to chuck a little more.
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 5th wheel 5 months ago and have been fighting a chucking, jerking motion over bumps ever since. Leveled trailer, adjusted pin weight, put Bilsteins on my truck...nothing helped until I finally bought a MORryde rubber pinbox. It made a huge difference. I wouldn't own another 5th wheel without a MORryde or similar shocking absorbing pinbox.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
What hitch is he using?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
First thing, is he towing level? Some hitches and pin box types work better than others. I often find speeding up, or slowing down, depending on road conditions, can make quite a difference.

Jerry