cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Trailer Tires... Goodyear v. others?

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a heavy trailer and get nervous about the trailer tires. They're G-load. Goodyear. Got them after one blew up in rush-hour traffic in L.A. four years ago. Now that I'm looking again I'm learning that the Goodyear are twice the price of the others I've had quotes for (Solid Track from Big 'O' and Vision Load Boss). Your thoughts? With a heavy trailer will these other two do the job? Would they just not last as long? What is Goodyear giving me for twice the price?

Also, half the people who look at them say they have wear left. I hate the guessing game. They're 4 1/2 years old. Not a lot of miles on them and covered for most of that time, no cracks or anything but it still makes me nervous. ? I'd almost rather sell the old ones used on CL and get all new tires for myself just for peace of mind.

Just looked at the photo I took of the one that blew up in L.A. It was on the trailer when I bought it. It was a Good Year also. Do they have different load ratings? Is a G a G? Or are there different kinds of G's...steel wall, not steel wall...

Also, I have 265 75/16s on my truck right now and just realized that the plate on the door says it should have 235 85/16s. ? Les Schwab put those on for me 4 years ago and didn't mention the difference in size. Is that a problem? Should I go back to the 235 85/16? Is one or the other better for towing?

You know.....I just checked the tread. What's freaking me out mostly is that these tires are 4.5 years old. But they don't have much in the way of miles on them. Only about 6K really. The sidewalls look great -- like nw -- and I still have 1/4" of tread. And like I say they've been covered for almost all of that 4.5 years. And 18 months ago I painted on that solar screen stuff. Think I'm ok? I'm heading to Santa Barbara for the summer, then back to Mesa AZ next fall.

The tires were in heat for about 2 months. The rest of the time was MT (one winter there)...2 years in San Diego, a few months on the Oregon coast.
20 REPLIES 20

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not hesitate to run the GY G's 6 years and possibly more! They are a great RV tire also with the GY H's.

4 sets of GY US Made tires from e's to H's and never even a flat all with many thousands of miles. Even towed with each set 75+ in HOT weather.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Do wider tires offer more support/strength for towing? The 265/75/16's look fine on my truck. Is this a common thing to go with that size tire on a Ford Superduty? Even though the specs show it should have a 235/85/16?

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like best option is the Goodyear G614. 2nd best: Sailun S637 But the latter is only speed rated for 75 mph. v. the Goodyear's 106.

Not sure I want to chance any of the Chinese tires. Can't find a single review on line for the Solid Trac or the Vision Load Boss. Does anyone have any experience with these last two? The Solid Trac has a higher speed rating than the Sailun, more on par with the Goodyear.

In 8 years I've had only Goodyears and the only blow-out was when I knew one tire was too low (back before I knew they had small compressors that could handle the 110psi). I was looking for a truck stop when it blew.

Any other low mile/aging anecdotes on the Goodyears?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Tires--
Have always used Good Years "G" rated tires with good luck. At 5 yrs. I replace my trailer tires regardless how many miles are on them. While there may be some individual cases where people have used tires that are over 5 yrs. old, I think that most tire Mfgs. agree that after 5 yrs. you are a tire problem waiting to happen.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Joe,

I thought with H-load you had to switch to 17.5" wheels. No?

Zeppe807
Explorer
Explorer
After 2 tires on one trip - and the tires were only 2.5 years old, I went with the 225/75/16 Uniroyal Laredo HD/H Tires on 16" wheels, and I couldn't be happier.

http://www.uniroyaltires.com/tire-selector/name/laredo-hd-h-tires

Hope that helps,
Joe Zeppe
In Pursuit Of Happiness and lost in wonder - Wife, Daughter, 2 Sons, dog
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel Auto Quad Cab Short Bed, some mods
1999 Kit Sun Chaser 29ft Bunkhouse, LT tires & some (unique?) mods
Used, Beaten Hensley Arrow member 0001556 = old