cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pack rat

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
We've got one. I hope it's only one. Not sure how it got in, but it either couldn't find its way back out or decided to stay. It seems to be living somewhere behind the dashboard or under the engine cover. It has sprung traps and taken poisoned bait, but its still here. Has anyone ever had one of these and gotten rid of it?
15 REPLIES 15

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Found what we think it was. Ground squirrel. Dead. It ate the poison bait but not the peanut butter. Ground squirrels never occurred to us. Not sure if they chew wires, etc. We'll have to look.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I don't believe in poison. Even after it is dead you may accidentally kill a pet that chews on the dead rat.

Or any wild animal that will pick at a carcass, including hawks, eagles, foxes, etc. The "Second Generation" poisons are particularly lethal - my dog gnawed on a bait that hadn't been anchored down (mouse must have dragged it out) and it was 6 weeks of vet visits and daily Vit K to save his life.....

On a lighter note - I have a Pack Rat, too.....his name is Ed ๐Ÿ˜ž

Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't believe in poison. Even after it is dead you may accidentally kill a pet that chews on the dead rat.

Pack Rats ?? !!! Yet another reason you have all scared me to the point I will never leave the upper central Midwest.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Chupacabra, maybe?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:

In Florida we get rats and squirrels trying to set up nests in the trailers year round....

Boy you got that right!
I just bought a house down here in Florida and a raccoon (at least we hope that is the animal doing it) has chewed a "2 foot hole" in my roof!!!

We blocked him out and the dang blankety, blankety, blank raccoon went around the whole house pulling up all the edge shingles and pulled back flashing.:R

Starting to wonder about the decision to move to Florida. Just yesterday the showed a panther in someones' attic.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
"Bar Bait" (brand name) intended for Norwegian Rats.

I use it and it works. I keep a block under the hood and wired down so they cannot remove it. This site lists several good baits. Poison site

Make sure the pack rat and/or bait are not going to wind up where a domestic dog or cat will get to it.

It makes the critter thirsty so if you have a bowl of water nearby they will go there to die.

I put a water dish under an upside down planter with a piece of PVC pipe that is big enough for the rat but to small for a cat.

I cut a hole for the pipe and put a weight on the top of the planter.

Check the planter every day for dead or dying critters. A big pack rat looked dead to me one day, but was still alive. I went to get a shovel and came back to find he had started to crawl away, so keep a shovel handy to bury the dead and dispatch the dying.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ah .... everyone needs a pet! At least it won't be barking when you leave the camper! :B

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
A farm and feed store may be able to provide "Bar Bait" (brand name) intended for Norwegian Rats. Very dependable and it causes dehydration of the dear departed which MAY (or may not) prevent the dead rat odor.

Some help available from Amazon:
In Florida we get rats and squirrels trying to set up nests in the trailers year round. Several of us have found that Pest-A-Cater brand electronic repellers seem to work. Cheap enough; plug it in to 120V shore power (in the basement of a fiver) and forget it; can't hurt.

If you do get a dead animal somewhere you cannot find, "Rat-Sorb" is the best we have ever found for removing the smell from confined spaces.

Good Luck!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Borrow somebody's pet ferret for an hour. tell them not to feed it first. ๐Ÿ™‚

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
With a good flash light check the engine compartment first, what you are looking for is the gnawing of all the wires in the compartment,, any shiny wires, need to be fixed immediately.

Under the dash you will see the poop and there will be small pieces of the wire insulation on the floor, to look for the wires, you will again need a flash light and a small mirror, shine the light on the mirror and point the mirror in the direction of the area that you want to see, the light will fall on the same area, again any shiny wires need attention.

Good luck

navegator

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend using snap traps with a wider trigger. Check Amazon for "JAWZ" traps, and place these along paths the vermin run along. Even without bait, those have been instrumental at removing critters.

Sticky pads work as well... but I wouldn't even think of using them if I had dogs or cats.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Use a piece of aluminum foil under the trigger. Pack rats are attracted to shiny objects. I've used a piece of apple along with peanut butter, not too big, but pack rats are very difficult to trap plus they get trap shy if you don't catch them on the first attempt.

Decon or other "bait" has been a waste of time for us, and I find a pile of bait in their nest, along with other misc. items.

Good luck, they can be very difficult to trap.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Jean S wrote:
Thanks Jim, I will try that. First, I have to get a bigger trap. DH refuses to admit that we have a rat. He wants to believe that it's a mouse. He is horrified at the idea of a rat. But I've seen mouse droppings and I've seen rat droppings. We've got a rat.

It seems to be living somewhere behind the dashboard or under the engine cover...

Whatever you do get rid of it ASAP!
They WILL eat the wires in the engine compartment AND wires leading to dash.

Been there done that and it was not cheap to fix either.:(

BTW: DNR agent told me to use fish heads to use in trap.

When nothing else worked trapping an animal I found this really DOES work. It's the only thing I use now. Just go to grocery store and buy a cheap fresh fish and whack off it's head for the trap.

I'll make bet you catch it that same day. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jim, I will try that. First, I have to get a bigger trap. DH refuses to admit that we have a rat. He wants to believe that it's a mouse. He is horrified at the idea of a rat. But I've seen mouse droppings and I've seen rat droppings. We've got a rat.