cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Part Time Insurance?

TCJayne
Explorer
Explorer
As seniors, my husband and I are getting exhausted trying to keep up with increases in our costs. We have a 30' 1994 RV that we use just TWICE a year - getting back and forth from Michigan to FL with our dogs. The rest of the year, it just sits in our driveway going "cha-ching" because it is costing us $53/month all year long with Progressive and we have a sparkling driving history. Does anyone have any advice for where we might get seasonal insurance or suggest something else. We need to start making cuts and I don't want to join my dogs during their mealtime:)
10 REPLIES 10

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
State Farm also offers Comprehensive Only coverage when you are not using your motorhome. It save a huge amount of money. If you have a loan on it though, you need approval to do this with the lienholder. In Michigan they also give you a 50% discount on the motorhome rate if you also have at least 1 car insured. Then there is an additional discount on your car and house if you have those both there also. Combining all things at a company that will allow storage coverage on the motorhome will probably save you a bundle.

xtrmemtnmn
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
Welcome to the forums! Allstate will let me suspend the liability portion of my insurance and go down to comprehensive only during months when the RV is parked, which saves quite a bit. I actually stopped using that because I sometimes use the RV with short notice at any time of the year. But such a feature might save you some money. Check to see if Progressive has it or switch to another insurance like Allstate that does.

Miles

I have Allstate as well, I have mine suspended when it is not in use, it cuts the cost of the premium for the year in half for insurance. But all I have to do is call my agent on the phone and even on voicemail just tell him the day I will be using it. He then activates it when it is in use. Even on short notice. I can call him when I am pulling out of the driveway and tell him I am using it. I am then fully covered if anything happens.
1979 Eagle International coach 05
Ty Moore
Joshua and Whitney Moore

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
I guess trailer insurance is different between Canada and the U.S.
Up here there is a one time provincial registration to get a plate. The liability is covered by the towing vehicle. Small charge for comprehensive, we pay $80/year.
We also store the truck in the winter, so turn off liability, and back on in the spring.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to find an insurer who will cover you for a specific time period or on a monthly basis and allows you to cancel the policy when you want to. Might check out the one that's advertising that they sell insurance "by the pound". Surely they would have this option. Don't expect to save much money however since their liability would be roughly the SAME as your current carrier has only compressed into a short time frame. Probably would cost about the same amount.

Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

motorhomi
Explorer
Explorer
I see you live in Michigan. One way we save money when our MH is parked is to pay for registration for only one or two months at a time. We found this can save us up to $400.00 a year. We also drop our collision insurance when it is parked. This means a few extra trips to the SofS but we have more time than money.

flamingo139
Explorer
Explorer
Look into insurance through Good Sam underwritten by I think GMAC. You can have coverage only when using the RV.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is a separate policy then your autos see if you can add it to the auto policy. It may be cheaper bundling.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forums! Allstate will let me suspend the liability portion of my insurance and go down to comprehensive only during months when the RV is parked, which saves quite a bit. I actually stopped using that because I sometimes use the RV with short notice at any time of the year. But such a feature might save you some money. Check to see if Progressive has it or switch to another insurance like Allstate that does.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
First your posted in the wrong forum. I asked the moderator to move it for you.
Now about your question. Simply ask yourself how much of a loss can you accept if it burns to the ground or your in an accident. Start checking other insurance companies and compare rates is a far better idea.