cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Payload Ratings are a farce

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Spent months shopping for a new Superduty, ended up ordering one that fit our criteria- XLT, Powerstroke, 3.55 rear-end, Camper package, fifth wheel, etc. We were debating back and forth between a F250 SRW and F350 SRW, ended up with the F250.

The dealer, technical specs in the promo material and everything else from Ford states the payload is 3,450 lbs. I knew with options this number would come down, especially with the diesel. But I was pretty shocked when the sticker on the door said the actual payload is 2,130 lbs. A whole 1,300 lbs less!! Our XLT is pretty basic, but I get it that the diesel and 4x4 adds to this weight, but a 2,130 payload is pretty light for any serious towing. I looked at a F350 SRW on the lot and the door sticker said 2,500 lbs, still really light.

Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it, I've pulled over 100,000 miles on an old F250 with lower ratings with the same camper with no issues. It's just really misleading all the material that is out there touting one number, but in real life, it's much different. My old truck was before the payload numbers were put on the door jamb, so I've been overweight for 17 years and didn't really know it. I have always been within my "owners manual" payload number and combined gross weights, but I'm sure I was 500+ lbs over on payload if they would have measured/reported payload the same in 2001.

I have to say, despite the disappointing door sticker payload numbers, you would never know it...these new trucks are light years ahead of the old ones in handling, power and stopping.
33 REPLIES 33

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Ford specs have about a dozen different payload ratings each for the F250, F350 SRW, and the F350 DRW. Cab, bed, engine, even tire size, affect the payload rating. And the difference between the low and high of each is significant. Your salesman probably picked the F250 configuration with the highest rating and passed that off as the rating for all F250s.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
What is the RAWR/Rear Tire Max Load Ratings on that F250?

Those are numbers that REALLY count.

Depends on what your counting?
If you buying a truck to tow with get an F350, 3500 or full one ton.
Brochure ratings are based on strip model best case scenario vs. a real world actual truck that is not stripped and has options.
Every pound of options reduces the GVWR.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be more than disappointed. Hopping mad. Heck, my well equipped 2015 Tahoe has a payload of 1,595.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the RAWR/Rear Tire Max Load Ratings on that F250?

Those are numbers that REALLY count.

Stay at or under those load ratings and GO Camping!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31