cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Cooktop

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for a portable LP cooktop which could be used outside the RV. I've heard bad things about several of the brands on the market. I came across the Atwood 56494 Drop-In 2-Burner and have read the reviews which, I think, have been favorable and has a fairly modest price. I would like to make some sort of a base which it could be mounted and placed on a picnic table or some other table. The question I have, has anyone done something like this? And, if so, what were your results? DW does not want me cooking many things in the RV...like boiled cabbage, sir fries, etc. And she probably has a point!

Thanks in advance....
15 REPLIES 15

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
The induction stove looks very interesting! I would assume you can use regular steel cookware on it...or do you have to buy special cookware for it? The price looks very attractive. Does it have a variety of temperature settings? How big a skillet can you use on it?

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
This past year we bought a single burner butane stove and really like it. It's convenient and compact. See: stove
F1BNorm

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
mgirardo wrote:
I have one of these:

We have similar, no need to reinvent the wheel when there are plenty of camp stoves available.

X10! :B

I've bought all the different types of BBQ's over the past few years and threw them all out.

I know only use the cook stoves. They work AND they fold flat for storage in the RV.

They are so compact I can carry 2 different ones. One for quick BBQ and the other for when I cook up big pot dinners.

Add one folding aluminum table from Walmart which folds up flat also and you are good to go RV'ing with plenty of extra room left over in the storage bays!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
I have one of these:

We have similar, no need to reinvent the wheel when there are plenty of camp stoves available.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
We use the portable Induction cooktop. We have 2. They work great indoors or out. We do it to save propane for heating. But we also have a gas bbq outside. Nothing like burgers or steak charbroiled.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I have this STOVE that we utilize under the awning of our RV. I have it set up beside a 5' table that I use for prep space and if we are camp-hosting in a spot for several months, I also have a small fridge that we put outside, too. Complete kitchen.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Chef has some good ones.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Food tastes better when cooked outside!

X2 Plus it is fun!!

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
I started out the same way. I shopped cooktops, then wanted to design a base/leg setup for it. Instead, I purchased a Partner camp stove with a folding leg set. I also set up an adapter, so I can attach it to the motorhome's gas supply.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
You can purchase 2 burner propane burners and they have legs that attach. We like to cook and wash dishes outside and this year bought a fish fillet table with sink so all food prep can be done outside as well. These units are ready made and no need to make anything, just insert legs and hook to propane tank

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Just open some windows/vents and freshen the air in the RV. That's a lot simpler than buying/hauling around a cooktop, and dragging all your cooking supplies outside. For the life of me I do not understand why people don't just use their RVs like a house.

We much prefer doing all the cooking outside. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. A Coleman 2 burner propane, a Regal electric skillet, and a Weber Q120. Food tastes better when cooked outside!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just open some windows/vents and freshen the air in the RV. That's a lot simpler than buying/hauling around a cooktop, and dragging all your cooking supplies outside. For the life of me I do not understand why people don't just use their RVs like a house.

But if you must cook outside, the Coleman 2-burner is a simple solution. The temperature control is not the best--it goes from OFF to LARGE FLAME with nothing in between. So you won't be able to simmer anything on it. It works OK for things like you mentioned.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these:

I've owned it for over 15 years and use it all the time when camping. Have even used it at home during power outages (have electric stove at home).

I have a propane tree with a 5 foot hose that allows me to hook it up to a 20lb propane tank.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the Coleman Road Trip and we can use the two burner propane grill that run from the 1lb canisters just about anywhere... Got it sitting inside my house in front of the fireplace as we speak just in case our upcoming storms takes out the power grid for a couple of days...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS