cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Ice Maker recommendations?

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where to post this......For those that have them, Pros and Cons on brand?

Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
We have one and wouldn't be without it.
They appear to all be made by the same company in China and private labeled for a lot of companies that retail them.

Note that they do not refrigerate the ice. They are pretty well insulated though and do a pretty good job of holding the ice.
We put the ice in a bin in the freezer. That means the ice is about 5 degrees and it lasts longer in drinks.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have two of them. All metal construction. Inserts that divide the space into 12 equal squares and levers to release them. But I don't use them much. Ice cubes won't fit in the top of a beer can. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Jim_Dow
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a small ice maker from Camping World on sale for about $50. We simply love it. It makes ice in about 10 minutes. Holds about 3 larger bottles of bottled water, makes ice continuously, and shuts itself down (still holding ice) when the bin gets full.

Now we do not run out of ice for two people; and we don't have to go buy ice and watch it melt in a cooler.

Getting a SMALL ice maker is a good idea.

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
How much ice can I expect a unit to make? We just got in from a water only CG and kept a cooler outside for drinks. 2 bags (10 lbs each) of that crappy hollow ice cost $9.50 Having our own ice maker would be awesome.

So how much ice can I expect? How much water does it hold and how much ice does it hold before needing to be emptied?

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Got ours from Target. Emerson I think as well. Caught it on sale for around a hundred or so. Works great. Makes ice in about 10 minutes and just keeps on going. Love it.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

skipole
Explorer
Explorer
One thing not mentioned here yet. Before you buy, whichever one you choose, check the measurements and figure out where you plan to place it. Make sure there is enough room to open the lid to get water in and ice out. And will you have to store it someplace else when vehicle is moving. They are all relatively large and aren't light weights.

I also agree on buying the cheapest one. We got ours on sale for $90 from Wally World two years ago. If you can get it on sale buy the three year replacement warrantee when you do as the unit will probably fail within that time period. Based on past experience. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23T

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO buy whatever size/feature set meets your needs and budget. We love ours, saves a bundle on buying ice and saves trip time. Virtually all the icemakers are made by Heier (sp?) and one other mfg. and then labeled for the various other brands so they are basically all the same/similar mechanicals.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ordered the Majic Chef from Walley World over a year ago and it works great. I think it was around $120.

I keep it in the basement storage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We have been wondering about this also. Would be nice to have.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
Got one about 5 years ago from WalMart On-Line to Store, and it has been used regularly and without fail. I go along with get the cheapest - they are all about the same, except when you move to the real high end models. Safe travels.

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the cheapest. The most expensive are no better nor last longer.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
They're almost all the same except for the name on the front. Look at the design, the oval crest on the front with the "name" on it. There is no difference but the price. Buy the cheapest one. They work good...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I also bought one from Target with Emerson name on it but they are all about the same product with other names. Ours works great. We never take RV with out the ice maker
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Bought one at Target 6 years ago. Still going strong. I think was around 110 dollars.