cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power outage, moving into TT - tractor to charge 12v?

EstorilM
Explorer
Explorer
Power is probably going to be out for a few days. Generator is at my parents a few hundred miles away (yeah, not convenient) so I'm on my own with 12v.

I have a second marine deep cycle, but that's only going to get me so far with the propane furnace blower, etc.

Two questions - one, I have an 800w inverter but I'm not sure how to hook this up in this case. I would just plug the RV into it and keep my power usage down, but I would need some way of bypassing and disconnecting the power supply/battery charger.

I'm guessing the most efficient way to do this would be to run large gauge 12v wires inside the TT and run the inverter off of batt directly/separately, then only plug in the few 120v things I need (ie not use any of the TT's 120v systems).

As far as keeping the battery charged, I have a diesel tractor - do you think the alternator generates enough current at idle to charge up the batteries? I'm thinking I'd just run the two deep cycles in parallel then run the tractor every now and then to charge them back up. I should be fine at night as it's just the furnace blower that would be running.

I could always use the LR3 as it has a 160A alternator and a huge battery, but nowhere near as efficient. I could run the diesel deere on a couple gallons forever (and it's obviously made for idling anyways).
2016 Springdale Summerland 2570RL Arctic
2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 HSE | OE tow pkg & air suspension
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Plug in the Rover, hook up the tractor , or both.
Keep it simple. Use less fuel than goingto get your generator.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m guessing you were in path of the norโ€™easter. Forecasters got the high wind predictions correct; 70mph gusts. Did you loose power? How long? We were out from Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon. Tree took out top of power pole on the state land we lease. Power co had to bring in tracked rig to access and replace downed pole.

100,000s on east coast are still without power
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/second-storm-forecast-northeast-already-struggling-power-outages-n853581

Did you use tractor to charge battery?

Used our TT some; warmer than house (low 50s). Used our generator to power trailer and barn. Needed heat lamp for one set of new born lambs. Fortunately didnโ€™t need to pull lambs during power outage since we didnโ€™t have clean running water to wash up after going into ewe to get lambs.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Is the TT sitting by itself, or do you have your tow vehicle? If so, then just hook it up and run your tow vehicle to charge your TT battery. If not, then I'd try the tractor first. Check your battery voltage with a multimeter and verify that the voltage increases when hooked up to the tractor (running). It may not be fast, but would probably be sufficient. No need to buy another generator.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are very few things in my TT that require 120 volt power at all. The microwave and the TV are about it. A very small power inverter runs my TV and I just don't use the microwave.

You could probably use the tractor for a little while to charge the batteries. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T RUN THE ENGINE INSIDE A SHED or anything like that.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The HF 2 stroke generators have a long break in cycle that should be followed ! They have a very short life even if you do follow the break in exactly, so buy the extended warranty. Last buy a couple of spare spark plugs. The original one is junk and is almost guaranteed to give you a problem right after the break in completed.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel used by either genny or tractor is fuel used. Use the tractor if you believe this is a rare occurance. No point in having a second genny even if you could find one during this outage. We have recharged with our truck with jumper cables even left the truck idling all night when boondocking in extreme cold. Didnt use any more fuel than a cheap genny would have.
Tractors do not have high output alternators, but your Deere should put out plenty for basic needs at a little above idle.
If you have a clampmeter to measure DC amperage, its easy to balance supply with load.
I would stay away from using an inverter unless you know the batteries are full, will have time to recharge.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:

You're not going to burn enough diesel to equate the cost of a cheap generator.

But.....when you burn the fuel, that money is GONE.

If you get a generator, after the power outage is over you still HAVE a generator that theoretically is still worth about what you paid for it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I WOULD use the tractor. You already own it vs making another purchase. I did this very thing one time during a loss of power at a campground during the winter. I hooked a vw bug to the trailer via jumper cables and idled the car all night.

While the alternator on the tractor is typically a lower output, I would imagine it to be more than adequate for battery maintaining. Personally; I'd run the tractor speed up a little bit, maybe 1500rpm or block part/all the radiator to get done heat on the engine to reduce cylinder washdown.

You're not going to burn enough diesel to equate the cost of a cheap generator.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch up that RV and tow it somewhere that has power?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with others that don't think using the tractor for charging is the best way to go. You should probably get another generator. You can always sell it after the season ends.

For only $110 it might be worth making a trip to your closest Harbor Freight...

700 Watt generator
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would guess that the tractor alternator is quite small, basically only sufficient to keep its starting battery up. Depending on the size of the tractor, it could be in the 15-30A range. (It also has little need of working very well at idle speed since a tractor is generally operated at full rated RPM.)

I second the suggestion of getting an inexpensive generator. Even one of the little two stroke 900W units would probably serve you okay for this situation; they should be able to power the converter to charge up your 12V batteries, though you might have to force the fridge to run on propane during that time.

If you're feeling rich, there are nice PTO-mounted and powered generators available for tractors that would do a fine job here, too, and might prove useful in other circumstances.

WVJayco
Explorer
Explorer
You can pick up one of the Champion 3500 watt generators for around $300. I have one that I have used frequently for the past 4 years and it has held up great, no complaints. And it will run everything. Might be something you would want to look into.

As far as running the propane furnace over night, you battery will most likely need a recharge every morning.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

2017 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Might be the time to buy a small and cheap generator.

MUCH preferred to his other ideas.....which all are pretty much BAD.

P.S. How is it that you know ahead of time that this is going to happen ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Might be the time to buy a small and cheap generator.