cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

powerhouse generator

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone familiar with Powerhouse generators? They have a 2000 that runs at 1600 and a 2100 that runs at 2000. Small like the Hondas and
Yamahas and supposed to be similarly quiet. Way cheaper. Anyone have one of these and any problems?
19 REPLIES 19

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
I have a 500W Powerhouse I use to run battery chargers and such. It is quite small and light but it is not that quiet in spite of the numbers they claim. It doesn't have the ability to charge RV batteries via a PD 45 amp converter when it's in bulk charge mode....too much load.

I just the little Powerhouse this weekend up against a Honda EU1000. It is massively louder than the Honda.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 500W Powerhouse I use to run battery chargers and such. It is quite small and light but it is not that quiet in spite of the numbers they claim. It doesn't have the ability to charge RV batteries via a PD 45 amp converter when it's in bulk charge mode....too much load.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Sure is a black looking thing... You might trip over this one in the dark...
Roy Ken
That is a good thing - no strangers will see it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

JKQ
Explorer
Explorer
My generator is a Dometic 3000. After purchasing it I found out that it was made in China where they make them for a variety of companies, just add a different label. As it looks identical to the Powerhouse I will presume its the same generator. If I had to do over again I would spent the extra dollars and purchase a Honda. What I have now is a piece of junk. Most of the time it won't start and repair parts are almost impossible to get. Stick with the Honda!
2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
Since I had a review on Amazon and somebody asked me this question, the PH2100PRi WILL run the 13,500 BTU air conditioner on my popup. I have to turn the economy switch off to keep it from stalling though, and it gets a bit loud while the compressor is running.

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm told the 2000wi is real quiet.

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
Tommy,

Last time I used it when camping was about 18 months ago. DW decided it was too loud, especially when loads greater than 1000 watts were applied. I'll probably sell it this next spring.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
EPenny--Do you like it? Are you glad you got it? Does it do the job? Youu've had it a couple years now. Any issues?

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
Tommy,

In December 2010, I purchased the PowerHouse PH2100PRi generator. The following is an edited version of a report on the genset I posted on 12/26/10. I hope it helps with your decision:

First impressions are the fit & finish of the plastic case is good. There are easily removable access panels for oil fill and spark plug. While I had the panels off, I noticed an absence of sound absorbing material on the removable access panels, and that the material is not at all locations on the interior of the case where it could have been installed. Lifting & moving the 70# genset is easy to do, the handle is placed for good balance when lifting. I had left the fuel cock on last night, so that I could test the remote start function today, to see if it would start with the remote without having to pump the fuel primer bulb. It would not start, despite several attempts. After pumping the primer bulb, it started right up using the remote. Additionally, there is a toggle switch that has to be in the "ON" position in order for the remote start to function. I plugged in a 25 watt incandesent light to the genset, and used the remote to start the generator. Power was supplied to the light approximatley 3 seconds after the generator started, so there must be a delay built in so that it can be started with a load plugged in, which is not what is recommended in the owners manual. Leaving the light plugged, I then turned the genset off using the remote, and the light slowly faded away as the genset rpms decreased. This could be a problem if a large load was present when the genset is turned off. As of now, I can see no real value to having a remote start, since it would be best to have the genset running when applying or removing loads. Sound levels were measured with my iPhone4 app, and please keep in mind this was in no way done with a high degree of sophistication: I placed the genset out in the open, away from the house. With the genset running in eco mode, no load, I measured 60.7 dB at 20' on the panel side, and 62 dB at the exhaust side. Running with eco off, no load, panel side was 66.4 dB, and exhaust side was 70.2 dB. I did no sound measurements with loads applied.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Roy--The 2100 is from 56-68 decibels I believe. I also read the reviews on Amazon.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine got the 3100 the same time I got the 2100. They both have a choke and a primer and they both start easy.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
PH posts in Tech
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Recent rv magazine test of the 3100 put it as a direct contender for Honda EU3000 with same db at full load and considerable cost savings. They used a sound meter to test.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked up the 2100 PowerHouse model at AMAZON with reviews.
Sure is a black looking thing... You might trip over this one in the dark...
Lots of info at the AMAZON Site. I always like to go Amazon to read their reviews on products...

I dont think I got to see anything on how loud these were... That might be a red flag... One review said they didnt have a choke and was hard to start... Alot of other great reviews...
Powerhouse PH2100PRi 2100WATT

sample photo from google images

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS