cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prestone rv antifreeze

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know about other areas of the country but in the Milwaukee area I’m unable to find my favorite propylene glycol based rv antifreeze for sale anywhere. Almost all that anyone carries is the cheapy alcohol based stuff that I don’t want to use. What’s more is that when you go online to see who might be selling the prestone brand they are asking outrageous prices per gallon (upwards of $40) for stuff I routinely paid around 4-5$. I just can’t figure out what’s going on??
41 REPLIES 41

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't find propylene glycol based antifreeze at the normal outlets, try boating stores if you live near a large body of water. Alternatively, you can order several varieties from Westmarine (www.westmarine.com).
Advanced RV Sprinter

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Forget that **** and blow out your system!

X2!
When we did winterize we only blew the lines. No flushing no after taste!

X3
I've been draining/blowing out the camper and boat for years without issue. Now yes there is the potential you could get some residual water somewhere, but typically if it's only a little in a low point and has room to expand down the pipe as it freezes it doesn't split the pipe.
I typically drain the FW tank, run the pump/faucets until empty then open 1 faucet at a time and run compressed air into the city water connection. It spits and sputters and blows the water out of the system. Make a couple rounds to each faucet/outlet.
Empty black and gray tanks. Dump a gal of windshield washer juice in each black and gray tank. Done.
Worked in AK sitting outside so it works.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Antifreeze flammability -
Old time distillers used to test their products by trying to light the vapors over the liquid. The lowest alcohol concentration where the vapors ignited was designated as 100 proof or 50% ethanol.
Advanced RV Sprinter

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mobeewan wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
:h One final comment and then i am gone. What is the flash point of RV antifreeze? We are not dealing with undiluted alky. Isn't it or has it not been the case where water is thrown onto alcohol fires at racing events.

If you had to worry about Flashpoint there would be a warning on the container. Same with Windex. Not enough alcohol to worry about.

You mean a warning like the large warning (bottom middle) on the front label of ethanol-based RV antifreeze?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
:h One final comment and then i am gone. What is the flash point of RV antifreeze? We are not dealing with undiluted alky. Isn't it or has it not been the case where water is thrown onto alcohol fires at racing events.

If you had to worry about Flashpoint there would be a warning on the container. Same with Windex. Not enough alcohol to worry about.

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not going to blow the antifreeze out with compressed air when I'm done. I'm just going to open all the lines and let it drain on its own. That way I figure there will be some left at faucets, valves, etc. to protect things for the winter.
Duane

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Duane4238 wrote:
I'm winterizing this Saturday. I've decided to blow out the lines, first. Then add PG antifreeze until it runs out each outlet. Then because I hate the smell and taste in the spring, I'm going to open up my drains and empty all the lines so they don't sit filled up with the PG in them all winter. The residue that's left will protect everything from freezing up. The one thing I really worry about is the toilet water valve. Years ago when I was new to this stuff, I had a toilet valve freeze and crack. In the spring I ended up with water all over the floor when I filled my tank. Not doing that, again.
Duane

I've thought about doing this exact thing as well with the exception of blowing the antifreeze out after pumping it through.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
I'm winterizing this Saturday. I've decided to blow out the lines, first. Then add PG antifreeze until it runs out each outlet. Then because I hate the smell and taste in the spring, I'm going to open up my drains and empty all the lines so they don't sit filled up with the PG in them all winter. The residue that's left will protect everything from freezing up. The one thing I really worry about is the toilet water valve. Years ago when I was new to this stuff, I had a toilet valve freeze and crack. In the spring I ended up with water all over the floor when I filled my tank. Not doing that, again.
Duane

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't use the water lines for drinking anyway, so any kind of flavor or aftertaste is a non-issue. It usually takes about a gallon and a half to do our water lines. Put the pump line in a bottle of antifreeze and turn on the pump, run the water at the different outlets until you see antifreeze, pour a little in the black/gray tanks and you're done.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

X2!

I would do this as well but I worry about any low points that could still have water in them. Because of this I think a few bucks spent on antifreeze is a good investment. I find the propylene glycol antifreeze has much less odor and after taste than the cheaper alcohol type.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

X2!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Many years back a professor who was widely know for being a ‘wee bit’ too concerned with safety decided to drive home the point when he caught a couple of our classmates laughing about it and putting out a lit propane torch in a container of a Jet A fuel.

He heated a fairly small container of fuel in a pot of boiling water and then asked if any of the doubters wanted to try again.

When one guy took him up on it the fireball shooting up out of the small container was very impressive when the torch got near it ........

Quite a bit of difference in flammability between jet fuel and RV antifreeze, so I fail to see the point.

The point is that anything flammable has a flash point, below that flash point it’s a bit of a task to light it. Above that temperature it’s usually very easy.

The flash point of Ethylene Glycol is about 240 deg. F.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Many years back a professor who was widely know for being a ‘wee bit’ too concerned with safety decided to drive home the point when he caught a couple of our classmates laughing about it and putting out a lit propane torch in a container of a Jet A fuel.

He heated a fairly small container of fuel in a pot of boiling water and then asked if any of the doubters wanted to try again.

When one guy took him up on it the fireball shooting up out of the small container was very impressive when the torch got near it ........
Quite a bit of difference in flammability between jet fuel and RV antifreeze, so I fail to see the point.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"