cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive Industries EMS

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
I was surprised to see the portable units are not UL listed. Wondering the reason. Am I missing something?

Brian
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX
28 REPLIES 28

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Useful enough? :R

MDKMDK wrote:
Actually, the info that yours haven't failed is useful. The rest is just reading from the manual. Thanks.

SoundGuy wrote:
Sorry, "the rest" wasn't just reading from the manual but is based on my own personal experience owning & using a Progressive EMS for several years now. Next time I won't bother. :R

MDKMDK wrote:
Your call. Fine by me.

So happily we agree ... PERFECT. :B

:R
Nice reward for trying to be helpful.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
prd2hnt wrote:
FYI. I got a response from Progressive. "Exploring the idea of UL Listing. The process is very expensive and takes several years."

Before retirement my job was to have my company's products tested and approved by UL. To lower cost and save time I had our own test lab certified so we could do testing on site. I have had similar safety devices tested and it entails certification of required electrical spacings and 6000 cycles of error free operation. If done at the UL Lab in Northbrook, IL it would cost several thousand dollars and take no longer than one year. One law suit could gobble up that amount of money in just attorneys fees. I'm always suspect of companies that go on the cheap The first sign of trouble they declare bankruptcy and let everyone else hanging.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:
Actually, the info that yours haven't failed is useful. The rest is just reading from the manual. Thanks.

SoundGuy wrote:
Sorry, "the rest" wasn't just reading from the manual but is based on my own personal experience owning & using a Progressive EMS for several years now. Next time I won't bother. :R

MDKMDK wrote:
Your call. Fine by me.

So happily we agree ... PERFECT. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
FYI. I got a response from Progressive. "Exploring the idea of UL Listing. The process is very expensive and takes several years."
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
My PI-EMS-30X has served me well. It has only saved my bacon once.
One time the PI found an open ground. So I just added my 50 amp to 30 amp dogleg to the 50 amp socket added the PI EMS-30X and was good to go.

It's best if you let the CG know if there is something amiss with the pedestal.

MDKMDK wrote:

Thanks for the responses, but I was looking more for a review from someone who actually owns one, on the unit's actual performance. How easy they are to read and diagnose issues, how they reacted when faced with a problem, or didn't, when called into action. That sort of thing.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
... the two I've owned have never "failed to react" ...

2112 wrote:
If there were a condition it should have reacted to and didn't, how would you know? You can't make this statement unless you have a secondary monitor/logging system in place to verify. You didn't sense it so it didn't happen?

OK, so how 'bout "AFAIK the two I've owned have never "failed to react"? What I do know is that before starting to use an EMS I lost the microwave oven in our K-Z Spree and had to replace it, since then I've lost nothing. If you want to question whether Progressive is selling you a reliable product that actually does what the manufacturer claims, that's up to you. :R As for me I wouldn't ever plug in again without the benefit of an EMS ... my choice. :B

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Your call. Fine by me.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Explorer II
Explorer II
*snip* the two I've owned have never "failed to react" *snip*
If there were a condition it should have reacted to and didn't, how would you know? You can't make this statement unless you have a secondary monitor/logging system in place to verify. You didn't sense it so it didn't happen?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

We been using Progressive EMS for years. Our first was a Hardwire 50amp and saved use on a number of occasions. We purchased a portable 50amp when we got our new 5er. After four years of use the back came off the portable unit. I contacted Progressive filled online to be replaced via lifetime warranty sent pictures of the unit, and proof of purchase just received my new and improved unit in the mail this week.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Good product warranty support. That's positive.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We been using Progressive EMS for years. Our first was a Hardwire 50amp and saved use on a number of occasions. We purchased a portable 50amp when we got our new 5er. After four years of use the back came off the portable unit. I contacted Progressive filled online to be replaced via lifetime warranty sent pictures of the unit, and proof of purchase just received my new and improved unit in the mail this week.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
As far as the power restoration delay time, I'm good with 136 seconds. More time to diagnose the problem and react. 15 seconds is a bit short.

SoundGuy wrote:
React to what? If the EMS sees something it doesn't like it simply won't pass power on to the rig regardless of whether delay is 15" to 136" ... you have all the time in the world to decide what to do about it, based on the what the error code is telling you. I mostly leave mine on the shorter 15" setting because we don't often use A/C and therefore don't have frequent need to protect it's compressor and I find the shorter 15" delay much more convenient, especially when I'm working on the trailer and am repeatedly applying and disconnecting power to it. A shorter delay is also more convenient when camping, for obvious reasons.

MDKMDK wrote:
Thanks for the responses, but I was looking more for a review from someone who actually owns one, on the unit's actual performance. How easy they are to read and diagnose issues, how they reacted when faced with a problem, or didn't, when called into action. That sort of thing.

SoundGuy wrote:
I do own a Progressive 30 amp EMS, a hard wire EMS-HW30C which as I mentioned operates exactly the same as the portable version, other than the portable's delay is fixed at 136" because it's a sealed unit. There's really no "diagnosis" per se as the displayed error code will tell you what the error may be and it's previous error code function will tell you what error may have occurred, say while you were away from your camper. What other than that do you want to know?

MDKMDK wrote:
React to what? React to what caused the surge protector to interrupt the power in the first place. Unless you like to sit in your trailer and watch the lights go off and on while your power gets cut and restored every 15 seconds.
I'd like to know what the root cause was, based on the codes passed or stored in the unit. I'd like to know if the power problem that caused the original (and any successive) fault(s) is something in my wiring, at the post, or in the general area of the campground, the likelihood that it was a one time event, or if it's going to persist.
The surge protector tells you what it saw, and what it did about it, not where the problem actually lies, whether it will persist, and what's being done about it.
Or as I suggested, do you just sit in your trailer in the dark waiting for the power to come back on?
I'd also like to know if your PI surge protectors have ever failed to react, and were they ever damaged by a fault event.
You know, useful info.

Obviously no EMS can tell you if a fault causing it to disconnect was caused by at the campsite post or whether it's a campground wide problem or may a regional problem affecting areas beyond the campground, nor obviously can it tell you "what's being done about it". :S Any error code displayed does tell you what the problem was with the incoming source power it saw and therefore why it either refused to connect in the first place or why it later disconnected. Third, no EMS has any control over whatever may happen after it such as "something in my wiring" ... obviously if you want it to monitor your incoming source cable then that cable needs to be in front of the EMS, not after it as normally would be the case in a portable application. Fourth, no the two I've owned have never "failed to react" nor have they ever failed. A significant surge, such as a nearby lighting strike, will most likely destroy the MOVs but they're replaceable, though the portable sealed version must be returned to Progressive for repair, with the hard wire they'll just mail you the parts since it's a field repairable device.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Thanks Sound guy, the restriction on using with an inverter is good to know. I was not aware of that limit.

Progressive has one other use limitation, this disclaimer warning to not use any of their EMS products with a Yamaha EF2000iS genset ... can't say whether this disclaimer still applies to the new V2 of this genset.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Best Converter has the EMS-PT30X for $233.50. Probably plus shipping. I'm thinking of getting one.
Anyone have any experience pro/con with them?

Not much to think about, other than whether you'd prefer a portable version like the EMS-PT30X or the hard wire EMS-HW30C. Electrically they both serve the same purpose, 'though because the hard wire is considered "field serviceable" you can change delay from the factory preset of 15" to 136", with the portable it's fixed @ 136". If you're in Canada as your profile suggests then ordering from Best Converter may not be your best choice as exchange rate, shipping, and possible import duties could drastically increase that price. :E

Regarding your other discussion about powering your rig with an inverter do note that Progressive warns against plugging any of their EMS units into an inverter. This may affect how you decide to integrate both an inverter and EMS into your unit.

Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X / 50X Installation Instructions

Thanks Sound guy, the restriction on using with an inverter is good to know. I was not aware of that limit.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide