cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank level monitor

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use a tank monitor? What do you recommend?
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)
11 REPLIES 11

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Manchester tank manufactures DOT cylinders in 20/30/40 lb sizes both horizontal and vertical with internal float gauges that should be reasonably accurate but the tanks run in excess of $200 each vs less than $100 for a non-gauge tank. You can buy 30 lb Flame King DOT cylinders (made in Thailand) for about $50 if you need new cylinders.

To answer two different questions that have been asked, the Mopeka sensors can be bought either with the aluminum spacer feet, or the urethane "halo" rings that go on the base ring. You cannot buy the sensors alone. Currently the halo rings are on sale for half price, so I bought two of the sensors with the aluminum spacer feet (about $10 cheaper than the sensor/halo combo) and then ordered the halos that are currently on sale for half price ($7.49 each) so I have both. I have not used the trailer since installing the sensors, but have no reason to think they don't work, given the reviews over the years.

The sensors are ultrasonic and mount with strong magnets on the bottom of the tanks. The app has pre-programmed settings for 20/30/40 lb tanks or you can select a specific height of fluid level in the tank. You can install them on a ASME horizontal tank on a Class A or C, or on the horizontal DOT cylinders used in some truck campers, you just have to plug in a number for the depth of the fluid. On the bottom of an exposed tank, I would use duct tape or similar as I do not trust the magnets to hold it out in the open.

The sensors have two different update time intervals, 3.5 secs and 10.5 secs. When you install them and pair them to your phone, you will want to change the setting from the default 3.5 sec to the 10.5 sec by holding the pairing button down again for 10 secs or so. This saves on battery usage and doesn't really affect the use of the sensors. I have found they work well with my phone up to about 30 ft or so. My trailer is fiberglass, not sure if an aluminum sided trailer would have any affect on signals.

Mopeka also makes a Pro sensor that will work on 500 to 1000 gal fixed tanks, and coupled with a WIFI bridge you can monitor the gas in a tank at a rental house, vacation home, etc that is far away.

There were problems with earlier versions of the sensors which have been corrected but I didn't want to chance getting some early sensors so I ordered the sensors and halos directly from Mopeka. Very fast service and I know I got the newest product. Yes I paid a little more.

Not sure what you can do with the app without a sensor paired to it, but you could download the app and play with it.

https://mopeka.com/
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Pressure in the tank will remain constant until the tank is almost empty, so a pressure gauge won't work. I've not used the Mopeka device. Does it indicate the level or just when the tank is empty?
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
This tank with a gauge actually works, the inline gauges are accurate when showing empty, but you already knew that.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
I have the mopeka and very pleased except for battery life. Seems like Iโ€™m always replacing the batteries. I donโ€™t know if the new ones come with the rubber/plastic donut for the bottom of the can or not. Mine came with metal feet which were a painโ€ฆreplaced with the donut and much happier.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies! Looks like Mopeka is what I'm looking for. I'll check it out.

I don't have room to attach a gauge because I don't have clearance on the door. I do have two tanks and leave one closed, but lazy old me would rather fill both tanks at once.

Thanks for the ideas!
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I use Mopeka ultrasonic sensors on my auxiliary 30 and 40 lb LP cylinders. They attach to the bottom of the cylinders with magnets and can be read with a smartphone app or a standalone monitor. AP Products is the distributor...

AP Products 024-1001 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
I just installed Mopeka tank sensors on my tanks. Seem to work very well.

Here it is on Amazon.

I bought two. You can label them in the app so you know which side they are on if you have two tanks.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have only used the indicator on the regulator that shows when to fill the primary cylinder.
Check daily during heavy use.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers first year 2010-11 volunteering in north Florida, first year winter RVing.
No snow no icey roads Volunteer next to us filled us in on how to make the most of our rv's abilities to keep us comfortable.
Nothing better than keeping one tank closed. Nothing better than having both tanks open on nights the weather bunny predicts freezing temps. If tank one goes dry tank #two kicks in to keep you warm, unless thats your SO's job.
So its no different than taking the dog for his morning walk
If the changer shows your on tank two your on a trip to the refill station.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Have not found a reliable propane level indicator. So I stopped trying and just do double tank. You are never away anyways from a propane seller as almost every gas station have them..

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pressure gauge inline on the hose, after the regulator. Pressure will drop slightly as the tank empties.

If you keep your tanks (dont swap them out for full tanks at gas station), then the monitor that tapes to the side will show the gas level. you pour warm water on the indicator and it shows where the top of the liquid propane gas is in the tank.
Mine get swapped out when it is not convenient to fill them so I don't bother with this.