cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quiet hours

karead7
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to enforce "quiet hours"?

http://www.travelwithkevinandruth.com/2013/08/quiet-hours-1100pm-to-700am.html

I've even suggested to some late nighters that maybe I'll be doing some gas powered weed whacking around their site at 7:00am when quiet hours are over so maybe they want to get some sleep!
33 REPLIES 33

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
So from your blog, you seem to be in a position to enforce the rules by kicking someone out in the morning, yet you did not. Being in this position that you imply that you are in, you should already know the answer which may be calling the cops - or whatever the procedure is set by the CG owner. The continued presence of these troublemakers means that you didn't do your job - regardles of the poor wife and kids. Seems like a loss of a lesson learned for all to me.

I'm thinking this is just a way for you to pad the search engines with link backs to your blog.

All INMHO of course...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quote.....The problem of course is that I'm not allowed to kick anybody out at night. Because they've been drinking, it would be my fault if I was to send them out on the road half in the bag and they killed themselves, or worse, somebody else. Yep, thanks to all you lawyers, my fault.... End quote

There is a fix for that. Call the local police, and have them meet the drunk at the gate, and as soon as they pull onto the highway. They will be arrested. Seen it done, and it works, and you are liability free.

Also remember. You are getting paid to do a job. Not enforcing the rules is not doing your job. By not enforcing the rule, you are punishing the customers that are obeying the rules. Sounds harsh. But that is the way it is. And remember. If I don't do my job, They will find some one who will. Don't know about your boss though. But if he starts losing money, because his CG gets a bad reputation. Hes gonna look some where.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
I believe the general term "quiet hours" has evolved over the years. It used to mean not being load. Now it means, "go to bed". Happened twice in our visits to Oregon State parks. No drinking, no music, just family get togethers and talking around the camp fire - and still told to wrap it up since we could be heard from the access loop road.

Sounds draconian in nature to me. They are going too far.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the general term "quiet hours" has evolved over the years. It used to mean not being loud. Now it means, "go to bed". Happened twice in our visits to Oregon State parks. No drinking, no music, just family get togethers and talking around the camp fire - and still told to wrap it up since we could be heard from the access loop road.

MCIbus
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for quite hours and we pack it in at before hand and go inside. Depending on where I'm working I'm in bed before quite hours. Right now I’m working the NASCAR races every weekend I deal with loud and drunk people.

When I sing the papers saying I know the rules I get the cashier to also sing and to give me a copy making it a 2 way contract. If I do not follow the rules then kick me out. If you do not follow / enforce the rules then I will call my credit card company and dispute the charges on my card because I did not get what I paid for.

Last weekend I was at a NASCAR race working. Had a few groups drinking next to us drinking and making tons of noise. The camp host did not do much at 10:10 (quite hours 10:00 to 7:00).
At 10:20 I took some pics of the younger looking drinkers and called the cops for possible under age drinkers. Handed the cops the pics, there locations and the rules on quite hours when they showed up. It took less than 15 minutes after they showed up for the place to go quite. The cops took 2 van loads of people for a joy ride and I got my rest.
2011 MCI D4500

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
At one of our favorite campgrounds the Ranger comes around and has a nice chat about keeping quiet.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Let it slide, you'll end up with Detroit.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
as has been said I think the best way is to nip it before it starts and that is before quiet hours are in place.

A patrol of the park 15minutes before to see where the action is.

last CG I was at quiet hours started at 10PM. It was relatively quiet except for a site across the lane with 2 tents on it with 2 families. They were not there most of the evening but at just before 10 they started up what looked like a "bean bag tourney". They set up portable lights and started tossing bean bags. I got out of bed and immediately went to the office where the owners were closing up. I explained what was starting and he came down to check it out.

In this case maybe one could have closed down the office while the other drove around and they would have seen the same thing I did.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
karead7 wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
karead7 wrote:

I've even suggested to some late nighters that maybe I'll be doing some gas powered weed whacking around their site at 7:00am when quiet hours are over so maybe they want to get some sleep!

I read your blog. You let them stay, so in fact you did not "enforce" the rules. I understand your compassion for the family.

He knew it was a empty threat. What did the man learn? He can do whatever he wants!

Of course you are correct. However, that site was awfully quiet for the rest of the week. He seemed to have known what the consequences of another warning would have been.

Good job. I didn't notice that you gave a notice of what would happen a second time. So, in fact, you did accomplish the goal.

As campground hosts we use proactive methods. We introduce ourselves to every camper and during that time we mention rules regarding dogs if there are any on site. We also mention that quiet time is at 11:00 p.m. and is enforced. We tell them that can stay up all night if they want but must be quiet. They are not kids and I won't tell them to go to bed. I feel that is too confrontational.

We tell them if any other campers are too loud please notify us. This gets the point across, nicely. Of course, not every camper is going to listen, and often alcohol is part of it. (2%) If they continue, after two warnings, it is time for local law enforcement.

This works for us.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We just got from a week at a campground that had "Quiet hours" to include "generator hours" during certain hours of the day. They were also volunteers. Here is what they did that I thought was good. When checking it they asked if we knew what the quiet hours and generator were? Of course we said Yes, just read the rules.
I think that sort of set the stage for everyone. Of course I bet they get some meat heads but don't know how they deal with them. Very quiet campground.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that some campgrounds here in the east are doing is having the person who rented the campsite sign an acknowledgement stating they understand quiet hour rules and the pet policy & pet clean-up rules. The check in person reviews the rules and witnesses the signature. I have seen this done with all campers regardless of age, type of rig, number of people in the unit.

It makes the person that signed responsible for the group and all pets. No-way to deny understanding the rules after signing.

Not sure what happens if you violate the policies, I have never tested it, but it does stipulate ejection from the park and loss of any pre-paid camping fees.

The contract combined with a presence of roaming security personel at night must work as many of these parks are as quiet as a grave after 10:30 or so.
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
At a privately owned Campground the DW and i go to about once a year, i have on more than one occassion saw the owner-manager nicely tell loudmouth and drunks too leave no matter the hour! We have become friends with the owner and he will always warn them once after that all bets are off. Now i have even on a couple of occassions when it was very apparant they couldn't drive they were provided with courtesy transportation to the local Hilton cross bar hotel. :B

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
karead7 wrote:

My suggestion would be to ENFORCE the rules. And not to ever let things slide for some idiot for any reason within legal limits. Remember if you think he is an idiot, probably his family and friends already know he is an idiot.

In your blog, you wimped out. What are you going to do when he shows up again with his family, and does it again. He disrespected you, your guests, and your campground rules. I would have thrown them out in the morning. And if he refused to leave, then call in the authorities. And not only that. But blacklist him from returning either for a time period or forever. Because if you don't, you might find that your good guests will blacklist your campground. Why? Because you don't enforce the rules, and you allow idiot guests to over run good management. So it becomes bad management. Then you get a bunch of idiots for your clientele. While the good guests go somewhere else. Is that what you want?
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

karead7
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
karead7 wrote:

I read your blog. You let them stay, so in fact you did not "enforce" the rules. I understand your compassion for the family.

He knew it was a empty threat. What did the man learn? He can do whatever he wants!

Of course you are correct. However, that site was awfully quiet for the rest of the week. He seemed to have known what the consequences of another warning would have been.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't care if someone is drunk, that is not an excuse to allow unacceptable behavior to continue. At my parks they get told to wrap it up, go inside and be quiet. If that doesn't work, they get told to quiet down immediately or they are gone. When it is apparent they can't drive, time to call the authorities. A night in jail, combined with a few fines and some towing bills for their vehicles might go a long way to preventing them from have a repeat performance. BTW, we have never had to do step three. If you are firm with people about quiet hours, and get to them before it gets completely out of hand, even if that means reminding them about the rules before quiet hours begin, you will be ahead of the damage curve and almost always able to keep things in check. We run tight ships, it isn't for everyone, but there is no way to have a park that caters to everyone.