cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Goose box Vs Anderson Ultimate 5th hitch

2014MegaRam4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I'm at a cross road with the truck and trailer and need a way to make room in the bed of the truck for my RDS toolbox fuel cell combo. I currently have the factory dodge picture frame adapter and a Reese 16K slide fifth wheel hitch which which I now have listed for sale as these will not fit in the truck with the fuel cell. I'm going with the reese RP30140 goose neck ball for the bed of the truck but I'm uncertain and looking for feedback on those who have the Anderson Ultimate 5th hitch or the Reese goose box Hitch. The Goose box is about double the price($1,000) of the Anderson hitch($500.00), and has good reviews. The Anderson hitch is reasonably priced, but I can only find limited information (outside of Anderson's publications) with very limited reviews. The Trailed is a Landmark Rushmore at 40ft in length, and a gross weight capacity of 16,250. All the information I have read appears to include a lot of false logic, (IE goose neck adaptors void the warranty and place additional stress on the trailer), which neither of these products do. I'm looking for real world feedback from those who have the product and what they can provide for positive and negative feedback including what they discovered after ownership and towing with the product that was no identified or thought about upfront.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Even if the Andersen had a locking mechanism doubt I would take the time to use it. Doubt less than half who tow lock their hitch.

The fact you can easily see the position of the handle out the rear view window works for me.;)
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2014MegaRam4x4 wrote:
Hello, I'm at a cross road with the truck and trailer and need a way to make room in the bed of the truck for my RDS toolbox fuel cell combo. I currently have the factory dodge picture frame adapter and a Reese 16K slide fifth wheel hitch which which I now have listed for sale as these will not fit in the truck with the fuel cell. I'm going with the reese RP30140 goose neck ball for the bed of the truck but I'm uncertain and looking for feedback on those who have the Anderson Ultimate 5th hitch or the Reese goose box Hitch. The Goose box is about double the price($1,000) of the Anderson hitch($500.00), and has good reviews. The Anderson hitch is reasonably priced, but I can only find limited information (outside of Anderson's publications) with very limited reviews. The Trailed is a Landmark Rushmore at 40ft in length, and a gross weight capacity of 16,250. All the information I have read appears to include a lot of false logic, (IE goose neck adaptors void the warranty and place additional stress on the trailer), which neither of these products do. I'm looking for real world feedback from those who have the product and what they can provide for positive and negative feedback including what they discovered after ownership and towing with the product that was no identified or thought about upfront.

Thanks

I don't remember the part # but if your referring to the gooseneck hitch that has the puck system that reese makes I have one but have only used it a dozen times but so far so good...rated for 30K lbs.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

crshman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

So 100# difference was a deal breaker for you on the B&W?

One thing amongst others that I don't like about the Andersen is how do you "LOCK" the RV to the hitch? What is stopping someone from pulling your T handle cable?

I tried to be as objective as possible in my review, in reality there were a few other factors at play specific to my situation.

I got my Andersen hitch on Amazon for $350 OTD, no taxes or shipping costs (Two day shipping with prime as well), I think that was a bargain. It's gone up a bit in price to $399

Additionally I was finding trouble sourcing the right sized B&W hitch for my situation (The 16k I don't feel comfortable with given my trailer size). Model RVK3255 (http://www.turnoverball.com/products/rvhitch/patriot-18k-fifth-wheel-hitch) was harder to find online at a good price and none of my local dealerships had it in stock.

Lastly, after having to lift out the old hitch alone, yes that was a deal breaker for me.

You do however raise a very valid point in terms of security. There is no way to lock the T handle cable.

Instead what I've done on occasion is to lock the safety chains from the trailer to my truck with a padlock. Fool proof, certainly not, but in sketchy areas it's an additional deterrent.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
crshman wrote:
I have the rail mount Andersen 5th wheel hitch.

I think amongst my favorite things about it are the weight and the smoothness.

I bought my 5th wheel and the previous owner threw in a slider hitch with the trailer. That thing chucked and bucked like a bull, not to mention it was loud as hell creaking all over the place. The Andersen on the other hand is smoooooth as butter and I feel like there is a very solid connection between truck and the trailer.

The hitch that came with the trailer had a lot of play. I would start moving forward and after a few inches the trailer would come with me....I didn't like that sensation at all. The Andersen doesn't have that, it's a single solid connection. The truck moves and so does the trailer.

I did some research and the B&W hitches came highly recommended but I really didn't want something as heavy. The slider that came with the trailer took two people to get it into the truck and mount it. The Andersen hitch is 45# and I can lift it with one arm.

A lot of people fret about it being a ball connection and needing safety chains, Andersen offers a kit to add chains to the setup. It's a bit pricey at $70 MSRP but it gets the job done, I opted for these as well just to make sure I was legal everywhere. (http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3230--ultimate-safety-chains-new-version.aspx)

I think the only thing I dislike about the Andersen hitch is that it's a bit harder to line it up and hitch up. With a regular 5th wheel hitch you just back up and you have a huge target to hit with the conventional hitch. The Andersen coupler has to line up with the ball precisely. It takes me an extra few minutes to hitch up (not the end of the world) but I figured I'd point it out.

Mind you, a lot of the issues I had were definitely due to the age of the slider that I got with the trailer. I'm sure a new B&W (or other brand) would have corrected all of my complaints (save for the weight) and everything would've been great.

All in all I'm very satisfied with the weight, customer service and price of the Andersen hitch.

So 100# difference was a deal breaker for you on the B&W?

One thing amongst others that I don't like about the Andersen is how do you "LOCK" the RV to the hitch? What is stopping someone from pulling your T handle cable?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

crshman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the rail mount Andersen 5th wheel hitch.

I think amongst my favorite things about it are the weight and the smoothness.

I bought my 5th wheel and the previous owner threw in a slider hitch with the trailer. That thing chucked and bucked like a bull, not to mention it was loud as hell creaking all over the place. The Andersen on the other hand is smoooooth as butter and I feel like there is a very solid connection between truck and the trailer.

The hitch that came with the trailer had a lot of play. I would start moving forward and after a few inches the trailer would come with me....I didn't like that sensation at all. The Andersen doesn't have that, it's a single solid connection. The truck moves and so does the trailer.

I did some research and the B&W hitches came highly recommended but I really didn't want something as heavy. The slider that came with the trailer took two people to get it into the truck and mount it. The Andersen hitch is 45# and I can lift it with one arm.

A lot of people fret about it being a ball connection and needing safety chains, Andersen offers a kit to add chains to the setup. It's a bit pricey at $70 MSRP but it gets the job done, I opted for these as well just to make sure I was legal everywhere. (http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3230--ultimate-safety-chains-new-version.aspx)

I think the only thing I dislike about the Andersen hitch is that it's a bit harder to line it up and hitch up. With a regular 5th wheel hitch you just back up and you have a huge target to hit with the conventional hitch. The Andersen coupler has to line up with the ball precisely. It takes me an extra few minutes to hitch up (not the end of the world) but I figured I'd point it out.

Mind you, a lot of the issues I had were definitely due to the age of the slider that I got with the trailer. I'm sure a new B&W (or other brand) would have corrected all of my complaints (save for the weight) and everything would've been great.

All in all I'm very satisfied with the weight, customer service and price of the Andersen hitch.

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue as you....got a converta ball with a built in rubber cushion. Into year three and no issues. I've taken the tin off the underneath of the fifth to check the frame......no cracks or distortions.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I waa a non believer myself on why goose necks shouldn't be used on 5vers. Since I live very rural in horse country many people use goose neck balls for 5vers. I can look at the used 5vers on dealer lots with damage from using goose neck balls. Large ripples in nose cone. 5vers aren't built on sturdy chassis like horse and stock trailers. JMHO