cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese WD head clarification

Steve6l
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys I have a Reese weight distributing hitch with trunnion bars along with dual cam setup.

It was purchased in 2010 may but wether it was made in that era is unknown. It came with 1200/12000 bars

I'm trying to distinguish which hitch head I have and what the weight
ratings are on for it.

My trailer has a 1200 pound dry weight and is a toy hauler so when
loaded down hitch weight decreases a max of about 200 pounds so I have
picked 1500 pound trunnion bars to get the job done. I'm wondering if the head will work with them and be rated to support them.

I have done a lot of searching online for info on the head and have
found that is a HP head/3 piece weld (not cast) but not sure on which weight rating. (No sticker on it anymore) now I have seen pictures of identical heads with 1200,12000 as max and alsopictures with the sticker showing 1700,17000 max.

Main reason is I want to be safe and I want the hitch to be effective

Also with my gold dual cams I'm wondering which ones I might have?

With the dual cam system the 26002 retails for about $200 and the
26025 retails for about $450
Mainly I'm wondering here why the huge price difference from
retailers?(225%) is there a difference in quality?

From what I read online the 26002 originally gold and then changed to
silver. And once it changed to silver the 26025 was released in gold.
Kind of wondering which one of the gold ones I actually have?

Thanks for any help
Steve
46 REPLIES 46

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve,

Your weights on the truck look really good!!! And the fender heights are good too.

Yes, fender heights get you in the ball park, scales tall all!

The trailer being 3/4" nose down. At this point, tow with it for a while there. As you load the truck and the camper this may change a little. 3/4" down is not a disaster and is better than 3/4" nose high.

If after towing with it you find 3/4" low ends up being 1" low, then you still have 1 more bolt hole to raise the hitch head on the shank. This would put you approx 1/4" nose high.

IF and only IF, over time it stays at 3/4" low and you want to tweak, there is the 2" high rise ball OR throw 2, heavy flat washers under the ball if there are enough threads on the ball shank left. Cheaper than a new 2" ball.

You have done well!! We congratulate you! A + ! And now you know what change affects what and the stability in the rig.

Oh, the noise, with your heavy TW, yes the vase-o-line will all but about stop the noise. You will loose a very little friction holding power, but not much to the point you may never see it.

Good luck and happy camping and towing!!!

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Steve6l
Explorer
Explorer
well i have the htich finally dialed

i assume that the front end dropping is more of a ballpark figure and weights on the scale give you exact numbers, sort of like in racing at the drag strip, guys have certain horsepower on the dyno but since all dynos are different (just like trucks suspensions) until you get on the track to prove the time your horsepower is just a ballpark.

check and re checked the trailer 3 different times now, have the sway cam lobes perfectly centre on the bars, I angled the hitch head much more then before, grabbing the last tooth on the head so there are no exposed teeth. front end raised about 3/16" on one side lowered 1/16" on the other, i was however on a bit of a side slope where i checked.

scale measurement for front diff came in at 4730# not hooked up
came in a little lighter at 4550# when the truck was hitched with WD bars

rear diff was loaded with quite a bit of weight 3718# unhitched
and hitched up with WD bars 5100# hitched up with WD bars

here is two pictures of how i set up the hitch head

truck squat 1 1/4" at the ball when i put the trailer on it with the WD bars leaving it at a height of 30 3/4" about 3/4" lower then level. not sure if i should go to a 2" rise ball or not.

truck seemed to handle awesome on the highway, in town taking corners more tight the hitch does make a lot of noise, not unexpected but it does seem a bit excessive wondering how normal this is, going to try the Vaseline next time i go out.

i am kind of driving myself nuts i feel with checking and rechecking all the time, seems as if everytime i need to change something, starting to drive me insane, im going to leave the trailer and go from there.

on a side not with the new bigger raise shank the old crappy tailgate i have on there while my 2014 gets sprayed does not hit, hoping the new one will not either.

thanks a ton for your help john, i definitely would not have as solid an install as i do now without your help or as stable a tow rig.

next thing im not sure if you can help me cover is my varying TWs and how i can counter them

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Steve,

Here is the other larger rise/drop shank and dimensions.

Here you can see there is 5" from top bolt to top of ball. Note: This is the 3 piece head with 1 1/4" hi rise ball. Your new all cast head is about 1/2" higher. But you only have a 1" rise. So call your head 5 1/4" to top of ball from top bolt

And here is the sketch again on the small rise shank

Now the large drop/rise shank. Note: I have this in drop mode but you can see the dimensions from the top of shank to center of the holes. If you add 5 1/4" from the top hole you want to pick on that shank, it will tell you how high you will be above the top of the shank on the truck

And your truck, ground to top of shank is 21 3/8"

Since the actual hitch head has 3.75" between the bolts, you can really only adjust the head up in 3 positions.

So in shank rise mode using 5 1/4" on your 1 piece cast head with 1" high rise ball, and 21 3/8" truck height

Lowest position is: 10.5" top of shank to top of ball + 21.38 = 31.88

Next position up is: 11.75" top of shank to top of ball + 21.38 = 33.13

Highest position up is: 13" top of shank to top of ball + 21.38 = 34.38

Since your trailer is 31.5" ball height + 1.5" for squat = 33" ground to top of ball on the truck before WD. That larger rise shank in the second hole from the top should do it. And you can go up 1 hole and down one hole if you need. It should work out about perfect.

Now to the serrated washer tilt. This head is the older 3 piece head. My all cast head is at my sons house. As you can see, the slot cuts out a large part of the serrations as it is.
Full forward tilt

Full rear tilt

The serrated washer on full rear tilt.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve, OK now under stand your, no squat...

Sorry, I'm only listening to the words and troubleshooting from there forward. No worries, we will get it.

Steve6l wrote:
By not squat at all I meant I did not put any trailer weight onto the truck just had the ball hitched and was able to engage the snap ups with 7 links very easily. I had almost max head tilt already towards the trailer so it seemed odd.

Now after understanding you are are saying/trying to do, Well OK that is not yet a bad thing. We normally do not do the test you tried. The spring deflection rate on those bars might be very short in stroke. They are for sure stiff. It may only take 1.5 to 2" down of the head to create a lot of force. In fact yes I'm sure of this, I'll have to look for the squat number on mine.

This is what we where asking for the fender heights unhitch and hitched. We can then tell what is going on, or not, when you apply WD. You can see it in the numbers.

If you let the truck hold the entire dead weight of the camper, no tongue jack holding load, then the WD bar snap should be immense in pull up pressure which is why we want to jack it up. You can try this but do not attempt a full pull up with the pipe.

And if you try and do this and it snaps up easy, then there is for sure an issue as the bars are not loaded enough. Need more head tilt.

Your comment about "I had almost max head tilt already towards the trailer", I'm not seeing that in your pic. You have very little rear tilt.

This pic of yours, I'm estimating is about 5 to 8 degrees rear tilt.

Your hitch head can go all the way to 14 degrees rear tilt. See here, this is the older 3 piece head that goes to 15 deg, but your does 14. This is using the full radial slot

With the serrated teeth more so I was talking about the washer, can the washer every have teeth exposed to air. The washer in itself is smaller then the serrated patch on the head so the head no matter what will always have teeth exposed to the air.

This is OK. There will be enough teeth left engaged to do the work.

I will measure the long shank tonight and I have a spare head to show this. Or is it at my sons house... I'll look and take a pic if I have it. Be back later.

Sorry for so many questions
Steve

No problem, You are working through this trying to understand and create a good stable towing setup. We commend you. You keep working this unit the end and we will keep answering. Ask away.

Steve6l
Explorer
Explorer
By not squat at all I meant I did not put any trailer weight onto the truck just had the ball hitched and was able to engage the snap ups with 7 links very easily. I had almost max head tilt already towards the trailer so it seemed odd.

With the serrated teeth more so I was talking about the washer, can the washer every have teeth exposed to air. The washer in itself is smaller then the serrated patch on the head so the head no matter what will always have teeth exposed to the air.

Sorry for so many questions
Steve

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
I forgot to answer this

Steve wrote:
I think you said I want the front end to raise 1/8" to 1/4" vs un hitched right for 150# lighter? Is that correct?

On my V10 gasser this 1/8" to 1/4 is approx 100 to 150# lighter. On your 6.0 diesel, that puppy weighs more and the front end has stiffer springs. On yours, 1/8" may be more the ~ 100 to 150 and 1/4" may be more ~ 200 to 250#

One of these days I may get a oil burner verses a gas guzzler and then I can report better on the spring pack changes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Per the Ford truck manual for your vintage, you can if needed go to zero front end fender height change before and after. Even a litte lower. BUT the truck rear should never be above unhitched height when WD is engaged. Always want some squat back there. When Air bags come, this will even be all that much more important.

Your aux fuel tank is loading the truck more to start with. The spring dynamics are a little differnt.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve, Comments in blue

Steve6l wrote:
As nice as it would be if he sized them I think he just got bigger rims for his f350 so he used the stock 16" tires on the trailer rims. Haha OK another topic for another day. They may have lifted the camper too which is why it is so high. Maybe it rose 1" or 1.5" over stock height from 15" tires

For the holes I'm guessing they are 1 1/4" seperation just like the smaller shank. On the site it show 8 1/4" rise but I think earlier in the post you stated it was 10 1/2" rise got me a little confused.
I'll have to dig inot this but the Reese catalog is correct when they call out the rise of one shank over the other. In this case you have no choice on getting the "other" higher rise shank. They only make 2 of them in the 2.5 shanks. If you end up needing 1' more of up, (I hope not) the 2" hi rise ball is an option.

Im thinking Since it will give me 3" more over the 5 1/4" rise shank I have now and that was the exactly how much I had to go up in height for the ball to be 1" higher the then trailer level ill be good with the bigger shank inverted using the top hole. I agree this sounds right without digging in furhter

One question about my snap ups, I could just rest the trailer on the ball and not squat on it at all. And engage the snap ups with the bar very easily. If I jacked up the trailer only 3" I could snap them up by hand. Do I not have enough tension on the bars? Need more head tilt or less links? I think you said I want the front end to raise 1/8" to 1/4" vs un hitched right for 150# lighter? Is that correct?
OK something not really right here now. On a 1,400# TW with 1,700# WD bars, there needs to be tension.

When you said, drop the ball on and no squat at all, tell me the exact fender heights unhitched and then hitched. Are the helper springs touching both the front and rear frame bracket "before" you ever hitch up? A 1,400# dead weight on the ball with no WD, she should change downward by some amount. I am reacting to your "not squat at all"

It is common for folks new to WD hithes to not have enough tension on the bars. Not saying this in your case but it may be. If you are sitting on both rear axle spring overload spring hangeers (front and rear) on the frame before you ever hitch up, the dynamics will change a little on the truck. Going to 1/8" rise only on the front is an OK test, it for sure should be putting load on the WD bars.

Leave the links alone at 7 under tension for right now. They give you real good turning clearance right now. I would tilt the head back towards the trailer first. As a rule of thumb, 2 teeth on the head - 1 chain link of tension. So as a test, go one chain length less which is quick, see that front end difference there is. If it looks good, then go 2 head teeth back towards the trailer.(takes time) and go back to 7 links.

If you over drove the front end too far, then only go 1 tooth on the head and go back to 7 links. I do this myself but understand the head differnces. And you are now learning them too...

Also for head tilt the teeth on the head, can do you always want teeth to be locked into teeth? Once you get to max tilt have to take out a chain link and adjust tilt back again?
I have called and asked Reese myself on this as it comes up from time to time. That head can tilt back a full 14 degrees and use about all of the radial slot for adjustment to get to this point. And this is acceptable. The serrated teeth in the head then will not be fully covered by the serrated wsaher. Some teeth out in the air space. This is aceptable and not a requirement to use all the teeth. There are enough teeth left in engagement to hold the loads for the entire radial slot of adjustment. On mine I have 1 or 2 teeth exposed as well.

Thanks for the help John
Glad to help. We too learn from your situation.

Steve

Steve6l
Explorer
Explorer
As nice as it would be if he sized them I think he just got bigger rims for his f350 so he used the stock 16" tires on the trailer rims. Haha

For the holes I'm guessing they are 1 1/4" seperation just like the smaller shank. On the site it show 8 1/4" rise but I think earlier in the post you stated it was 10 1/2" rise got me a little confused.

Im thinking Since it will give me 3" more over the 5 1/4" rise shank I have now and that was the exactly how much I had to go up in height for the ball to be 1" higher the then trailer level ill be good with the bigger shank inverted using the top hole.

One question about my snap ups, I could just rest the trailer on the ball and not squat on it at all. And engage the snap ups with the bar very easily. If I jacked up the trailer only 3" I could snap them up by hand. Do I not have enough tension on the bars? Need more head tilt or less links? I think you said I want the front end to raise 1/8" to 1/4" vs un hitched right for 150# lighter? Is that correct?

Also for head tilt the teeth on the head, can do you always want teeth to be locked into teeth? Once you get to max tilt have to take out a chain link and adjust tilt back again?

Thanks for the help John

Steve

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve, Comments in blue

Steve6l wrote:
well ended up not having to go to work after all until the 7th
Super!!

called the store i bought the straight line kit from and they are going to trade me for the larger rise shank which is awesome. im going to pick it up tomorrow and weather permitting attempt the install to get the TT perfectly level. Good deal. Yes a good dealer can be a big help. Good for you!

earlier on in the post john you had a hand drawn picture of the smaller shank hole sizes in relation to reciever, do you have the larger shank sizes as well so i know which holes to use right off the bat?
I do not "yet" have one made up. But..I have the large drop/rise shank in the shed and if I can get to it tonight I will create one and post.

trailer has LT tires on it Wow... someone before you must of worked through this. This is a big topic on tires. I myself converted to LT tires on the camper a little over a year ago due to tire issues. If they sized them right, they saved you a lot of "new learnings"

i will post back once again once i get the new shank set up, this time im going to make a spreadsheet for my heights and weights as last time i got confused as my 2x2 sticky note space filled up quickly ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ah yeh... Take a clip board and pad... after a few iterations of doing this all the numbers get mixed up. Been there, redone that.

Steve6l
Explorer
Explorer
well ended up not having to go to work after all until the 7th

called the store i bought the straight line kit from and they are going to trade me for the larger rise shank which is awesome. im going to pick it up tomorrow and weather permitting attempt the install to get the TT perfectly level.

earlier on in the post john you had a hand drawn picture of the smaller shank hole sizes in relation to reciever, do you have the larger shank sizes as well so i know which holes to use right off the bat?

trailer has LT tires on it

i will post back once again once i get the new shank set up, this time im going to make a spreadsheet for my heights and weights as last time i got confused as my 2x2 sticky note space filled up quickly ๐Ÿ˜‰

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve Comments in Blue

Steve6l wrote:

however hitch is not setup correct, as per your instructions of having hitch ball head 1"-1 1/2" higher
matter of fact i was out huge...Well Yes you are out. The large drop/rise shank has more adjustment but it will be up in the air. With your camper, may not have much choice. It will just be up there.

trailer level top of ball mount = 31.5"
hitch height top of square= 20 3/4" (slip tank empty, maybe 100 pounds of wood and tools if that)
tv Ball height = 29 1/2" (same weight as above, 1 inch raise ball)

A 31.5" ball height on that Fox. It's up there.... Must be the Toy hauler to have lots of ground clearance. Travel Trailers are not that high, well normally anyway.

now i was baffled when i got trailer level and realized it was a lot higher then the hitch and i wasted $150 on a shank that in the meantime is useless to me. The shank you have is still a good one, just maybe not for the camper. Do you tow anything else? or sell it to recoup some of the $$ Or be like me and have lots of hitches...

Snip...
now i got the TV front fender measurements once setup up to rise 1/4" on both sides, back end dropped 1 3/4" on driver side 2" on passenger side. dont know whats up with that just my measurements. this was later on into the event so numbers could have started to have human error.
The truck is not built dead even left to right. It is common to not have the 2 front or 2 rear fenders the same height. Just think of which side the main Ford fuel tank is on and there is nothing on the other side to offset it.

Point in fender heights is. The left side front and rear as a set and then the right side front and rear as a set.

the 1/4" rise in the front resulted in a 250# decrease in weight on the scales opposed to hitched without the WD bars.
OK this one I'm missing something or it was late and you did a typo. 1/4" rise resulted in 250# less weight on the front. OK that sounds possible.

Now the AS opposed to "hitched" with no WD? H'mm OK need more description. Did this get mixed up?

Was the 250# less from "un-hitched"?

If it is indeed 250# from when NO WD is engaged and hitched, something seems amuck.

realistically what i learned today is you want my ball height 3" height to be proper. i can see how trailer being level will make towing "nicer" on the TV
Yes, level is best. However you can only adjust within 1 hole on the shank. So if WD is sett correct, then you move the hitch head up and down the shank to get:

Ideal= dead level (not always doable)
Next ideal is "slight" nose down as opposed to a lot of nose up?

Meaning if you have to choose 1/2" high or 1/2" low, go 1/2" low. If you are 1" high, that is too high, come down 1 hole. If you are 1" low you can be better being 1/4" high then the full 1" low.

Being a lot nose high can on some campers aggravate sway in certain windy conditions. This is not an absolute, but a guide. The wind hit the high up top and may create instability.

That said, being way too low means the trailer axles can be a lot of uneven loading. The front can be carrying a lot more then the rear. This is where level is best. Both axles are loaded as even as they can be and the wind on the roof does not create instability. In your case, your camper roof if not so blunt nose like a lot of TT's. You have a long taper, it may reach different. Or not

this is now hooked up with TV ball originally at 29.5" i did not get the measurement after it squat prob important but oh well.

these next two are just how my setup looks right now the way i will be towing tomorrow, took 3 tries to get the cam lobes dialed in.

While you still have some setup to work through, the install is good. You now have a good base to adjust from. Good job!

as frustrated as i got today and how mad i was i bought the wrong shank, i made it work i think and it should not have any negative effects besides there being more weight effecting my tounge and the trailer not riding level.
Long term, work towards getting the camper more level. Your axle loads will thank you.

i really do not like how the truck squats, im definitely going to opt for air bags in the near future, then im guessing you set up your WD perfectly once and then just adjust PSI on the bags to obtain the exact same height as original setup.
Before you make the jump to air bags, suggest you stick with the adjusting to get the WD dialed in. Air bag are going to change a lot of things and they really should not be used to make up for improper WD adjustments. Air bags used right, can offer a number of good benefits for large changes in truck bed loads, but only after the WD hitch is set up correct on the lower weight in the truck bed.

if my theory is correct this would be an awesome way to deal with my varying loads and not wanting to readjust hitch all the time. learning a lot about this hitch and i really appreciate your help for that john, will be a lot easier to fix in the future or adjust knowing exactly how the hitch is working.
Yes, is you add 400 to 500# more in the truck bed from nominal "after" WD was originally optimized, then the Air bags can help the rear squat, but only to lift the difference the new added weight gave. If you lift more then the nominal setup, you start unloading the WD and the DC friction lock.

When you get a moment, post your weights and your actual fender heights. I can see more from the raw data on what is going on with the truck.

fwiw in my opinion this hitch greatly improved my confidence behind the wheel. i went on the highway and got the girl moving to 85 mph, felt comfortable, didnt stay there long just wanted to see, without the hitch on i was scared to break 60mph, now cruising at 70mph is a breeze. i cant wait to have it setup perfectly and get bags in there to add a whole new component to the ball game that i have no understanding on how it will effect.

Good for you! Your learning and starting to understand what does what. There is still some more tweaking on the hitch and then there is tire pressure, both on the truck and the camper. The camper needs to be air up to max side wall pressure cold. The truck, that is an experiment. Start with door sticker. I'm running 18" tires LT275/70R18's, the front I tow at 66 psi the rear 76 psi. The brand is Continental Contrac. For a highway tire they do well and the side walls are stiff which is needed for towing.

Tire brand/type and air pressure can make and break a good stable towing rig. But first get the hitch dialed in. .

Oh and one other thing, odds are high you have ST tires on the camper. They are only rated to tow at max 65 mph. Above that the heat will start the tire degradation process all that much faster. Trailer tires... that is another complete post in itself.

Your doing good. We commend you. Most do not take the extra effort.

Have a good camping trip

John

steve

Steve6l
Explorer
Explorer
well john im beat,
spent 7 hours today leveling, checking, re checking, moving to a different parking lot, doing it all over again, moving to a flat piece of road, checking again to make sure my measurements were perfect. went to scales once installed and verified my weights were alright.

however hitch is not setup correct, as per your instructions of having hitch ball head 1"-1 1/2" higher
matter of fact i was out huge...

trailer level top of ball mount = 31.5"
hitch height top of square= 20 3/4" (slip tank empty, maybe 100 pounds of wood and tools if that)
tv Ball height = 29 1/2" (same weight as above, 1 inch raise ball)

now i was baffled when i got trailer level and realized it was a lot higher then the hitch and i wasted $150 on a shank that in the meantime is useless to me.

anyways i took lots of pics for you to see, i used a 4 foot level, on 4 points on the frame as well as inside on the floor to determine level. took pics as best i could in 1 inch increments from trailer level with ball height all the way up to trailer level and even 1 inch higher. the ground i used to determine my final heights and level is going to be the spot i continue to make adjustments to keep a constant.

in the meantime i need to tow about 350 miles tomorrow and i need the hitch setup as trailer feels super unsafe without it.

now i did not adjust head tilt at all from where i guessed off the bat, and couldn't go any higher without buying more stuff and at 9pm at night that wasn't going to happen, as well as not having the time before i leave in the morning.

now i got the TV front fender measurements once setup up to rise 1/4" on both sides, back end dropped 1 3/4" on driver side 2" on passenger side. dont know whats up with that just my measurements. this was later on into the event so numbers could have started to have human error.

the 1/4" rise in the front resulted in a 250# decrease in weight on the scales opposed to hitched without the WD bars.

i now flushed the black, grey and water tanks, have them totally empty as im towing to full hook ups, filled my propane bottles for all of this process. ended up giving me the same tounge weight right in the 1400# ball park.

realistically what i learned today is you want my ball height 3" height to be proper. i can see how trailer being level will make towing "nicer" on the TV

trailer length is 21 feet from center in between axles to the ball.

first picture TV ball(29.5") 1" higher then trailer(28.5")

TV ball(29.5") level with trailer(29.5")

TV ball(29.5") 1" lower than trailer(30.5")

TV ball(29.5") 2" lower than trailer(31.5" trailer is now sitting in this picture perfectly level according to my level)

TV ball(29.5") 3" lower than trailer(32.5")

TV ball(29.5") 4" lower than trailer(33.5")

this is now hooked up with TV ball originally at 29.5" i did not get the measurement after it squat prob important but oh well.

these next two are just how my setup looks right now the way i will be towing tomorrow, took 3 tries to get the cam lobes dialed in.

these last two are just more pictures i took at how the camper sits level (TT hitch height of 31.5")

as frustrated as i got today and how mad i was i bought the wrong shank, i made it work i think and it should not have any negative effects besides there being more weight effecting my tounge and the trailer not riding level. i really do not like how the truck squats, im definitely going to opt for air bags in the near future, then im guessing you set up your WD perfectly once and then just adjust PSI on the bags to obtain the exact same height as original setup. if my theory is correct this would be an awesome way to deal with my varying loads and not wanting to readjust hitch all the time. learning a lot about this hitch and i really appreciate your help for that john, will be a lot easier to fix in the future or adjust knowing exactly how the hitch is working.

fwiw in my opinion this hitch greatly improved my confidence behind the wheel. i went on the highway and got the girl moving to 85 mph, felt comfortable, didnt stay there long just wanted to see, without the hitch on i was scared to break 60mph, now cruising at 70mph is a breeze. i cant wait to have it setup perfectly and get bags in there to add a whole new component to the ball game that i have no understanding on how it will effect.

steve

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve,

Here is about turns and the crash point. Your longer hitch shank allows the truck and camper to turn sharper then those with a shorter shank.

That said there is a crash point. Yours will be right about at the 74 degree point on a left turn. You might get a little bit more but not much.

You need to slowly back up, or go forward, and with a spotter watching the hitch, "stop" before the crash point while turning. Then in the truck look at your mirrors. Burn in your brain the image of the side of the camper and in what relation it is to the side the truck. You do not want to be going that far or something can break.

On my truck and wheel base, I have 4 x 4, I can crank the wheel hard and do a 180 turn and never approach this point going forward. BUT, if I back up or go super slow I can go beyond this point. Here lets see what I am talking about.

Here is 74 deg with my prior K2500 Suburban. Look at the hitch. The inside WD bar is starting to go under the frame a lot.

Here is another view, same turn

And here is the outside WD bar. About ready to pop over the cam

And in my case, on the older 3 piece welded head, My WD bar hit the ball nut. And chicped the head. The WD flying out sounded like a shot gun going off follow by the sound of spring steel hitting the concrete, bang...

Your newer head may allow you a few degrees more before this happens. Now this was all "left turning" the more natural way to turn or back up as it is on the driver side.

Turning right, you can only go 65 deg and then the friction sway bar arm is going to hit the A frame. See here

The hit

And if you are using the friction sway bar setup, you hit the ball coupler going LH turn.

So all that said, I have never broke anything since... that one sharp turn in my driveway. Ya know, we too learn the hard way...

So now I do this with the F350, take the bars off and do this hard 180 which requires back up and turning and going forward. No more binding.

Since I have the heavy hitch equipment and the F350, I can do this. But I would not be towing down the road this way. Put the WD bars on.

Hope this helps

John

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve,

Comments below

Steve6l wrote:

first thing is you said max turn of 77 degrees or so, i can go plus of 90 degrees turning forwards with my truck without hitting trailer. i took a few pictures just to show you below. now is this going to be a problem with the wd setup?
Yes, if you turn that far something is going to break. I'll post in the next post the issues and some tips on how to get around some of it.

also my driveway is super sloped and curves with slopes. how does the wd work with steep incline changes, im talking downhill then uphill creating a giant "U" and dont forget to throw the sharp turn in there? will i risk breaking the hitch?
The hitch loads up and unloads when you go up and over. Go Slow!!! when you get to this extreme situation. Like going up and over a high up RR crossing. Going up is not as bad as just crossing over and going down until the trailer wheels make it over the hump and the back down on the flat. Go slow, let the truck lift from the increased back flex condition and drive on. If you do this real fast, and with 1,700# WD bars, issues may come. Small campers with lighter frames have to be even more carefull. I have not had an issue with this, but I know to go slow over these extreme situations.

i tried to mount the dual sway and snap ups, symmetrically to ball center, dont know if this is proper but made sense to me for either side of the frame to be "torqued" on in the same spots.
i tried to get the chains installed as vertical as possible pretty much touching the LP tanks. oh well should work.
While vertical is best, with the DC there is more forgiveness with a slight chain angle. And since you bolted the snapups on, they will not slide forward. If you did not have the DC, then being vertical is a lot more critical as on the standard WD hitch, no DC, the chain swings with the WD bar in a turn and can bind up in the snap up during large turns.

dual cam brackets got pretty flush to bottom of frame with 2 washers per bolt thanks for the recommendation
Good job on the fit up to the frame. No sq corner bind and flush with the bottom. You get an A +!

in this picture you can see the u-bolt it has some give and seems as if there was more pressure down on the bar it would pull out seems a little mickey mouse again to me, is this proper or should it be changed?

You need to tighten the U bolt up more. Take up the slack, the chain needs to pivot on the U bolt but not a lot of excess. See here on mine. If you think the nut is going to back off, double nut it

one more question is this the way the dual cam should seat i took the hanger chain off to get a better picture, seems as center as i can make it?

For your newer WD bars, that is correct. The round cam fits in the V of the WD bar and touches front and rear. The V finds the natural center of the diameter.

See here on mine. The 1,700# WD bars have a different bend in the V however the same end result. The V finds it's natural home. Don't pay attention to the dimensions, they where from another post we where working on about spring force in a turn. Does not apply here. The pic was right for your question.

Also here are some tips for setting up the DC

Once you get the WD set, and in this process get the DC "close" just not way off as being way off does change the spring tension.

To set the DC you have to track the truck straight for a good 100 feet. Site an object in the distance and head straight to it.

Find the spot

Turn and head to it

Then the trailer will track straight behind the truck, stop at the ~ 75 to 100 foot mark, get out.

Bend down and look in the DC chain plate. Get a flash light.

This is "Wrong" There is an air space on the back side. Measure the distance you think you need to move that side. Then go check the other side. It may be different and the opposite direction.

Once you know how much each cam arm needs to move and in which direction, jack up the truck and camper, take the weight off the chains and unsnap the chains. Adjust the cams, lock the nuts, hook back up, drive around and check again. It might take you a few times to nail it.

im going to be off to a flat parking lot here in a few hours, the one i found was alright but not perfect and had a bit of a side incline, im hoping i can find better, it seems its very hard to find perfectly level parking lots these days. i guess i have to adjust head tilt, and get my heights today see if its even going to work.

thanks for your help, steve

Good luck and your welcome

John