cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repair 4 diesel

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are stuck in Eugene, OR with our 2006 F-350 diesel and 5er. We are at a cg, but need a good mech a nic. Truck died coming off highway .
51 REPLIES 51

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad news! Got the truck towed this morning to Randall's Automotive which received high reviews on the internet. They gave me a loaner so I would not be stuck there. Before I left they evaluated the problem and told me that it was low oil presure and mightr be the High pressure oil pump. They would have to remove the top area of the engine to establish exact cause. It could be as simple as a tube that came off or the pump. The WORST would ba a $5600 bill. OUch!! I will know later today what is exactly wrong and how many days it will set us back. They said 3-4.

While it is apart is there anything else I should have done. Some had said to replace injectors and a ?EGR by-pass. Or should I do nothing. This truck is costing me more than any other vehicle I ever had and has had more issues than any other vehicle I ever had.

Swmpbgy1
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
My previous 2007 F350 6.0 died like that just outside OKC with about 55,000 miles. Towed to local Ford dealer. It was the cam sensor. Quickly replaced under warranty. But yours is probably out of the power train warranty.

At least if it is the cam position sensor, $30 part and 10 minutes to replace!!!

I hope that is what it is!

Swmpbgy1

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
My '97 7.3 truck would die on the road, then re-start after coasting to a stop. It was the CPS (crankshaft or camshaft position sensor, forget which one was being sensed). It was replaced for free by the dealer under recall and never had the problem again.

Even without the free repair, it wouldn't have been much money or difficult to install on the 7.3. The dealer told me the part is under like $150. I hear of guys carrying a spare CPS in their glove box and changing them out on the side of the road in a few minutes with minimal tools. I never investigated it myself.

I didn't know the 6.0 had that problem too. Our '05 6.0 never did that.

Another thing you can check is low battery voltage. If the voltage is too low, the truck wont start because of the fuel injection or glow plug system.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My previous 2007 F350 6.0 died like that just outside OKC with about 55,000 miles. Towed to local Ford dealer. It was the cam sensor. Quickly replaced under warranty. But yours is probably out of the power train warranty.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
6.0 Please keep us posted.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Or check online for a Ford Diesel Forum. Maybe someone there will have the info you need.

Let us know when you get the problem corrected and it's cause.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
GO TO
http://rvservicereviews.com/
Find your state and city and read the reviews
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind