cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing with ReadyBrake

lkentn
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Jeep Liberty and my first braking system was the Blue Ox Auto Stop (somewhat like Ready Brake) and the cable eventually broke since I had used it for many years with my current motorhome as well as another coach and toad. It finally gave up. Three years ago I had a Brake Buddy System professionally installed. I have had nothing but trouble with it. First thing was brakes were on going down a steep hill smelled brakes, not good. The indicator light in coach broke because made of very poor thin plastic. It would run my Jeep battery down when I used the 12 volt connection in the Jeep. Had a shop add a 12 volt plugin directly from the battery which the Brake Buddy blew out. Had a shop install a direct connector from the battery which I could unplug. That worked for a while until the Brake Buddy finally burned up inside and is unusable. My Jeep smelled bad inside for a while; I should be happy my Jeep didn't catch fire. I will throw the Brake Buddy away soon. There were many more problems with the Brake Buddy than I could list here it probably only ever worked less than 50% of the time ever. I want to go to the more simple Ready Brake system and have it professionally installed. They may even be able to use the Auto Stop tubing in my Jeep for the cable. Any thoughts?

Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.

Kent and Margaret
2004 Newmar Kountry Star DP 38'

2 REPLIES 2

lkentn
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't look into replacing the cable on the Auto Stop since the equipment was getting pretty old I was beginning to wonder if it was still trust worthy. That's when I switched to the Brake Buddy.

Kent and Margaret
2004 Newmar Kountry Star DP 38'

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious, about the Blue Ox Auto Stop you had before: When the cable broke, did you look into just replacing the cable with parts you can get at most hardware stores, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc? Thats what I would have done, I know a few people have done that with a Readybrake cable. 'Tis one of the cool things about a simple, mechanical, cable-operated brake system. Nearly anything that could break, you can replace easily and cheaply with parts you can but at many hardware stores. Not sure if that was the case with Blue Ox's Auto stop or not, though?

Anyway, as to your specific question: Have no idea if the tubing/sleeve is same size as Readybrake's cable, and could be used with Readybrake. I'd definitely check it and see once you get the Readybrake. If it is, you may not need a professional to do the installation. You could just slide the Readybrake cable into the sleeve, attach it to the brake pedal and you're good.

Did your old Auto stop include a break-away system of any kind, like Readybrake's Readystop product? If not, I would seriously consider getting a ReadyStop also, and installing that on your toad.

You're definitely making a VERY good decision, getting away from the electronic box type brake systems, and going to a Readybrake. It (Readybrake) is truly the only system I'll ever own. Soooo simple, no electronics to muck up, no drain on battery, no way for it to over-brake and damage your toad, AND costs considerably less than any other system. You just can't beat it. I just got done installing the Readybrake cable on our 2nd toad we just got, a Ford Fusion. Haven't tested it out yet, but will soon. Been using Readybrake on our other vehicle for 'bout a year now, it works great.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")