cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

road side service a waste for me?

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to decide if Roadside service is worth the money prior to leaving for vacation this year. It will be about a 3500 mile round trip with our truck and TT. I have looked at all the popular carriers and am having a hard time justifying spending that money when I dont really see what it is they do, that I cant.

For example, why wait an hour for someone to come change a flat tire on my truck or trailer when I can do it and be back on the road in a fraction of the time?

My truck is new and included roadside service with the purchase.

I feel that Im pretty handy and usually fix anything that goes wrong with the trailer like a faulty pipe or other issue like that.

Is there something that I should consider that Im missing?

For 180.00 I could buy a new tire myself and have it mounted on my rim and not pay the labor costs that the "assistance" people still require you to pay.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs
47 REPLIES 47

GTO66
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before I started to travel much I took my chances.As others have stated its the ones that require a tow that will pay for itself.I also have a motorcycle which is covered with the rv plan and I worry more about a flat on that.If my truck was new and I stay close to home for the most part I would probably chance it.

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 CTD and a lance camper. GSRA came free for a one year period. this year the truck died and I needed to be towed was towing a boat at the time.

GSRA paid for the towing for both truck/camper and boat. tow operator said the charge was around $600 for both truck/camper and boat.

my auto insurance has towing on it but does not cover the truck/rv or boat towing. the $79/yr was a bargain.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't have it a couple years ago. I almost purchased it before our trip to Destin Forida, but decided against it at last minute. Truck was covered with ford as truck was newer. So we are there over Easter. My wife has a habit of locking the door when she unlocks it. Just turns the key back all the way around. She came out of the TT and closed the door. Both sets of keys were in it. Cost us a lot more on an Easter Sunday for a locksmith to open it than a membership cost. Of course ford would not cover it. Lesson learned.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
6.7 tow rig wrote:
ReadyToGo wrote:
Well I can say that the OP had his mind made up before he posted.
Myself, I have used roadside assistance a few times. The tows have paid for the cost for many years.
No, RA will not be good for him until he wishes he had it. That might be a few years down the line. Then he will be posting about how wrong he was.
Of all the insurance one can carry, RA is the one that will be used by RVers.

Or not..... hence the reason I posted asking specific questions. But thanks for the useless commentary anyway.

We looked at Coachnet and GoodSam this morning seeing which one offers the best deal. Thanks for all the other replies though, it offered some helpful insight

As you may have surmised by now, this place THRIVES on judgmentalism and personal attacks!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
moparmaga2 wrote:
Had a rock go through the radiator in The Yukon Territory in Canada on the way to Alaska.

Anyone want to take bets on how much a 277 mile tow to the nearest town with a Garage (Whitehorse) in the Yukon Territory cost?

Try $5000 on for size

Geico roadside assistance paid for it all. Best $12 per year ($1 per month) that I have ever spent. Of course, you have to have Geico insurance to get this.

Also: it's not available in all states, and it's CERTAINLY not $12 everywhere! (They quoted me $65/year, and that ONLY covered cars!)
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
wbwood wrote:
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Well we just Signed up for GoodSam platinum plus. Thanks for all the replies. It helped me see some things that I was overlooking for sure

Hope you wasted your money and never have to use it.

Me too

Each year , when the "Bill" came due, for my Premier RVplus, I asked myself, was it worth it............well...................I got the answer in June................. YES.....In a Big way.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Well we just Signed up for GoodSam platinum plus. Thanks for all the replies. It helped me see some things that I was overlooking for sure

Me too
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I agreed with the OP until I needed a $600 Tow on a flatbed when my trailer broke a leaf spring. Tow was something like 100 miles or so.

Like the OP, I feel I can fix just about anything on the side of the road and carry the tools to do so when we go on a long trip.

ERS is included in our trailer's policy with Progressive and is not too expensive anyway.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

MrWizard
it's insurance
if you never get sick, you don't need medical ?

the cost one tow on a week end, or that tire failure on BIg rig

is many times the cost of an ERS plan
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
To me, the real advantage of roadside service is the unlimited mileage towing to a repair facility. For example, if you had a broken trailer axle, you wouldn't be able to repair it on the road, and its not towable either. That becomes the problem of the ERS folks, if needing a dolly, etc. And the ERS covers all of my vehicles and provides me with free trip planning, maps, etc. So in my case, I feel its good value.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have GS ERS Platimun and hope they make lots off of me. If I never have to use it it will be just fine by me.

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Oooooohhhh now I get it "brand new trucks" don't break down...lol lol lol
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Are you going to tow it yourself as well? Does the included new car roadside assistance cover your trailer?

No roadside doesnt include the the trailer, but my main question is, am I paying 180.00 so someone can send me a tow company that I could look up myself on the computer? If this is all that Im getting I will save my money.

I am asking if I am overlooking something.

Example, the poster above stated that he called road side service and they directed him to dealer to fix his melted spare tire. I like that, BUT, I am assuming it still cost him additional money once he arrived on scene and the work was completed correct? Your one time fee does't include labor cost right?

Welll.......................here is/ was MY Situation..........................I Take TOP quality care of my stuff..................I bought a NEW to me truck, a few months ago.....................FLEET maintained, DOT inspected........Whole nine yards................I looked over the logs, repairs before i bought the truck......Took it on a few trips///...................with my 5er, and headed towards Iowa, for a vacation/Rally.

TWO hours south of where I live.................. long storry short, the clutch failed, going up a hill, on a freeway exchange ramp..............(Yes, new clutch, and Transmission 63 thousand mies before I bought the truck).

So, Sitting DEAD in the MIDDLE of the Freeway........................I call my Road service company..AAAA Premeir Plus, RV Service....................They send TWO heavyduty Trucks................ a HUGE Flat bed, for my DUALLY crew truck,
And a Massive wrecker, for my 5th wheel trailer.........................they tow me 10,15 milles to their shop...set me up in their yard. and I spend the night .

Next day, they work on my truck, and 24 hrs later, another new clutch, and some u-joints I am on my way.

MY TOW Bill...................is ZERO...........................Am I Glad I kept my AAA Plus Premier RV service...........................YES,.....................that would have been a very expensive tow.

So................................You figgure ALLoptions.....................I would have NEVER thought, it would happen to me.......................but it Caught up to me .
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member