cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadmaster Sterling how long should one last?

getcarter
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 10 years old, but I was wondering how long should the Roadmaster Sterling last.

Thanks for any and all help
getcarter
wonderful wife
Sammy the dog
2005 CC 40ft DP toad 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe
7 REPLIES 7

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Parts for the Sterling are still listed. Main difference between Sterling and the Sterling all Terrain is the release mechanism. Main components are the same.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
pauldub:
Roadmaster would rebuild your bar for you. They have done my Stowmaster several times for free. As close to them as you are, I would have taken it to them for a day trip.
They like to look at their products to see how they are holding up and what changes need to be made.

The major difference is that the Stowmaster is still in the current lineup. The Sterling was replaced by the Sterling All Terrain in 2005. As such it's at least 12 years out of production and is considered an obsolete product. I would call Roadmaster to see if they will still rebuild the Sterling, and also ask about price. At some point they are likely to stop servicing them.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
pauldub:
Roadmaster would rebuild your bar for you. They have done my Stowmaster several times for free. As close to them as you are, I would have taken it to them for a day trip.
They like to look at their products to see how they are holding up and what changes need to be made.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked at the roadmasterinc site, towbars, and put "repair" in the Search Box. One of the items was 910003-30 which showed as Repair Kit for Sterling and Sterling All-Terrain. All it seemed to be, was two "Locking Springs." From there it was two new pins for the springs, two clips to retain the new pins, and four rubber caps that appeared to be mostly decorative. I suppose they'd keep dirt out of the area where the springs live.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sterling that is worn out, the legs are very sloppy and there is a lot of slack in the lockup of the leg extension. It's not the greatest design and has nowhere near the durability of the Stowaway towbar. Roadmaster wouldn't sell me the piece parts to rebuild the Sterling. They thought I should buy a new one so I did and I bought a Demco.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Ours lasted about 10 years and 100,000 miles before it was destroyed when the Jeep we were pulling was rear ended. That was about 4 years ago. At the time Roadmaster said they were no longer going to support that model since it was replaced by the Sterling All Terrain in 2005. However there have been members that have sent theirs back to the company to be rebuilt since that time.

If your is getting stiff or weak I would call Roadmaster to see if they still have a rebuilding program. It seems they were doing the job for around $200.00 plus shipping one way. They provide the return shipping. If the unit is beyond repair they generally offer a substantial discount off a new one.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My Stowmaster is over 20 years old.
Have replaced nylon bushings and buttons.
Keep it cleaned and lubed, you will never have to replace it.
I have had mine checked by Roadmaster. If you are up around Portland, Roadmaster is in Vancouver. They will check it out and do standard mantainance for free.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow