cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Door Won’t Open When Sunny

Rowehowe
Explorer
Explorer
My 1986 PACE Arrow has this problem, seems to be getting worrse, where when its hot out (especially sun baking on the door), then the door won’t open. The only thing, up until today; that would fix it is putting a sharp durable pointy metal poker into the door latch from the outside and prying it open. I have damaged the door and screen over the last few times this has happened.

Before I foundout it was easiest to pry with a pin, it took my 5 hours of unscrewing everything and banging the hinges with a hammer (ruining the aligned connection between the screen door and the regular door). Well the pin I usually use just snapped... I have had a lot of RV problems, probably hundreds, but this one in particular has no solutions I can find online and is always the differential between if I can leave the RV locked or not aka I’m forced to chill in the hot RV till I figure it out. . I am currenrly going in through the driver door, and it sucks. Its uncomfortably hot out in Carlsbad today, as well. Any tips appreciated. -Austin
6 REPLIES 6

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have expanding wood products due to water then you have much larger issues than a stuck door.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Rowehowe
Explorer
Explorer
I got it open with a little more force, I am getting to the bottom of this. From what I have read online (for regular house doors), there is expanding water in the foam/wood surrounding and inside the door, and when it heats up the door (or surrounding walls, not sure) literally expands. It was to do with the latch mechanism, but for most people that means a peg or bolt has broken, and for me I believe its just because the door is expanded. Thank you for the replies!
-Austin

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Turn around.

Sorry.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this a latch problem or a door/frame fit problem?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
There’s no “shinny” spot on the door or frame showing where it’s hanging up? Once open, closing it slowly doesn’t indicate to you where the problem is? From the outside and from the inside?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad