cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Senior pass increase

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
The senior pass is scheduled to increase from $10.00 to $80.00 but no date set as of yet.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/arizona/road-trips/2017/05/18/national-parks-senior-pass-price-increase/328559001/
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU
75 REPLIES 75

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"UH, who is da guvment?" AH...youse and me, Cummins?

Resetting a old and currently unrealistic price isn't greed, Wa8, and the senior pass requirement is age, not paying taxes. Rather than calling names, work with your representatives to change it back...but that's more challenging than ranting on this forum about GREED. Not specific either as to the "greed."

Any person with disabilities is entitled to be issued an Access Pass which has exactly the same benefits as the Senior Pass and is free regardless of being a veteran or not.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
suprz wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
If you served your country, you deserve whatever you can get. People are getting a lot more from the government for doing absolutely nothing. No one should begrudge a retiree for anything. Semper Fi.

Well said.
Semper Fi

^^^^ Let me bounce in here and X2 that!
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
If you served your country, you deserve whatever you can get. People are getting a lot more from the government for doing absolutely nothing. No one should begrudge a retiree for anything. Semper Fi.

Well said.
Semper Fi
Proud father of a US Marine

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paw paw, I believe your numbers...better First or Master Sergeant, to be accurate. What industry or government doesn't base retirement payments on highest income at retirement? Social Security certainly does. In the military, as you know, it's based on rank and service length. Not new...well known. My experience shows there isn't a "lifer" that doesn't know what another two years and/or increased rank won't do for the pension, and nothing wrong with that except complaining.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Supra, you are naive.

A military retiree/ veteran who is 62 or older likely entered the US military before 1975. If they served 20 years and retired before 1996, the HIGHEST ranked enlisted receives no more than about $2,200 per month. At the time of retirement their retirement pay was about $1,600.

(I retired in 1992, as an E-8, with 50% of my base pay - $1,087 - per month.

Military retirement pay is taxable income. When most military retirees reach Social Security age and start receiving SS payments, their military retirement is usually enough to make at least 1/2 of their SS benefit taxable.

Active duty military do pay SS just like everyone else.

I know military retired colonels/ USN captains who retired in the 70s who get less than $1,500 per month.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or..possibly exactly what this retired soldier needed to hear? You join, you stay, you take your chances. Lots of vets on this forum not complaining about what they do or don't receive from Uncle Sam for their service. "Out of line?" I didn't shout "fire" in a crowded theater or advocate sedition or any act illegal but you don't like my opinion. Read again our First Amendment.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Supra, you are naive. Was he wasn't disabled in the line of duty, he is a veteran that is now disabled. Huge difference. "Out of line" seems to be you disagreeing with me. I was considered "heartless" about sick call particularly after we mechanized...I'll grant you that.

Im not naive, and i do not jump to unsubstantiated conclusions as you did about someones military status, or their decisions when in the service. The way you responded to the OP 's statement was just plain rude, and unnecessary.

C_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
A little more info on pricing...the National Parks near me (Yosemite, Kings Canyon & Sequoia) are now $30 but going to $50 Jan 1 (I think that is the correct date). This should make the thought of a $80 lifetime pass a little more palatable.
Chuck

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supra, you are naive. Was he wasn't disabled in the line of duty, he is a veteran that is now disabled. Huge difference. "Out of line" seems to be you disagreeing with me. I was considered "heartless" about sick call particularly after we mechanized...I'll grant you that.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
I do not see raising a life time pass by seventy bucks, as much of a hardship on most of us older folk.

Perhaps by doing so it will keep the admission prices lower for the young families and allow them to continue to visit these fantastic places, and parks. That is what is most important, these young folks

Quite frankly I kind of cringe a bit when I see the family of 5 ahead of us in the 10 year old minivan, tent camping, and they get hit for full admission, while us old gomers in the nice MH they just wave through no charge.

The family of 5 still has a good 30 to 40 years of rising work income ahead of them. The old gomers who spent a good chunk of their "not going to make much more" money on a nice MH earned it the old fashioned way and deserve recognition for that reality;).

That being said a onetime 70 buck charge isn't' going to send me into a tizzy.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I do not see raising a life time pass by seventy bucks, as much of a hardship on most of us older folk.

Perhaps by doing so it will keep the admission prices lower for the young families and allow them to continue to visit these fantastic places, and parks. That is what is most important, these young folks

Quite frankly I kind of cringe a bit when I see the family of 5 ahead of us in the 10 year old minivan, tent camping, and they get hit for full admission, while us old gomers in the nice MH they just wave through no charge.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
We the people DO own the Government plain and simple. Does not mean we can all access everything we own.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"as a enlisted military retiree I do not get much of a retirement check"

Those were choices you made. First, to serve. Second, to stay in. Third, apparently to not advance in rank. Fourth, to complain about your retirement income.

LWIDDIS you are out of line! You failed to include in the quote that the person that posted that also stated he was a DISABLED VETERAN. Maybe he could not advance in rank. Unreal

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"UH, who is da guvment?" AH...youse and me, Cummins?

Resetting a old and currently unrealistic price isn't greed, Wa8, and the senior pass requirement is age, not paying taxes. Rather than calling names, work with your representatives to change it back...but that's more challenging than ranting on this forum about GREED. Not specific either as to the "greed."