cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoked out of Labor Day Camping trip

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
We headed up to Bass Lake for camping and a boating weekend. Got to Bass Lake Friday and everything was great clean air, could smell the trees and a great dinner at Ducey's. Got the boat ready to put in the water in the morning. Woke up and smelled nothing, but smoke. I thought to myself I thought there was an open fire ban due to the Yosemite fire. As I walked out of the camper everything was inundated with smoke. The smoke was so thick it looked like a layer of fog. Apparently, overnight the winds changed and the smoke from the Yosemite fire began blowing into the Bass Lake and Oakhurst area.

Well both of our kids are Asthmatics and as soon as DD woke up the coughing started and so did the inhaler's. It was a no brainer, packed up our stuff and headed home.
17 REPLIES 17

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
sowego wrote:
We have had smoke from the western fires in our home location. Yosemite is over 1500 miles from here so no where can say they will be in the clear. Now the weather pattern has shifted and its not as hazy.

But 1 year ago we had our own fires to contend with. We had the Region 23 Complex fires to our north and east--4 fires within 100 miles of here, some just 5 miles away. On a few days the sky was just orange but most of the time the southern summer breezes kept the air clear at our house. At no time were we in real danger. Our worst nightmare will be if another lightning strike fire starts to our SW or West. So far this season we've been fire free but until we get more moisture we are all a bit on edge.

Be safe everyone and do me mindful that big fires will send smoke hundreds of miles so try to stay out of the path of that wind!

I grew up in SW Wyoming and had really bad smoke from Yellowstone, then again from Ft. Robinson not much later.

We get several smoke-days a year from both Colorado and New Mexico fires at our sticks & bricks; don't really have the option of packing up and leaving. Something we end up dealing with. We just run the HEPA filter at max during those times.
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

2dogtravellin
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Lake Tahoe the air has been awful for about 3 weeks. First it was the American Fire, now it's the Rim Fire. And I agree: this fire will burn until the snow flies, but at least they're containing it.

I don't blame you for bailing. I wish I could but this is home.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The money being thrown at this fire will burn until the snow flies.....Good luck to us all.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
My sister in law is camping in Mammoth and with wind shifts they had the Yosemite smoke the other day.

Ray

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
We have had smoke from the western fires in our home location. Yosemite is over 1500 miles from here so no where can say they will be in the clear. Now the weather pattern has shifted and its not as hazy.

But 1 year ago we had our own fires to contend with. We had the Region 23 Complex fires to our north and east--4 fires within 100 miles of here, some just 5 miles away. On a few days the sky was just orange but most of the time the southern summer breezes kept the air clear at our house. At no time were we in real danger. Our worst nightmare will be if another lightning strike fire starts to our SW or West. So far this season we've been fire free but until we get more moisture we are all a bit on edge.

Be safe everyone and do me mindful that big fires will send smoke hundreds of miles so try to stay out of the path of that wind!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Bishop and surrounding areas are clear and not that far from Fallon. Good luck.........

We thought about Bishop. We lived there for several decades. Our son and his family are still there in Chalfant Valley.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to us at Yellowstone. When the store 1/2 mile away closed due to the fire getting too close we packed up and left along with everyone else in the campground we were in.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Bishop and surrounding areas are clear and not that far from Fallon. Good luck.........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
We have been smoked out for a week here in western Nevada. Some days worse than others. We thought about taking off to find clean air but we are still here.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
We've been lucky with the Rim Fire as far as air quality. All of a sudden the winds changed and the entire Central Valley is in the "Hazardous" Air Quality Zone. Good choice to leave. Hope they can get some containment on that fire. Yosemite is unbelievable and hate to see it burn.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

sele
Explorer
Explorer
son has asthma so I know what you are going through smart move there is always next time As you know going home is better than the ER
scott

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
smoke that thick you would be crazy to stay in that. smart to move!

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
That is a real bummer. My wife has asthma, so we`d of had to do the same thing.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

et2
Explorer
Explorer
That's too bad. I actually thought this was going to be another campfire story. Wasn't there another campground to go to?