cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tandem dolly experience

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I am purchasing a BB Wanderlodge, tag axle 40' MH. We have a VW Jetta auto, so need a dolly. We also have a sidecar motorcycle rig. I am thinking a tandem dolly, with the hack ahead of the VW would be the way to go.

Does anyone here have experience with this set up? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

RandandDoug
Explorer
Explorer
Just to update some. Both the Glide and the Heritage fit with plenty of room to spare. Easy loading and unloading, especially with the Condor wheel chock.
It does make us a bit long, but if we are going to stay anywhere for a length of time, I can unhook it and turn it sideways to the rear of the moho, or front if needed. That seems better than having to drop a 20ft or longer trailer just to reach hookups or fit in a spot. I think I could have dealt with either though with the same ease, and been happy with either set-up. The drawback to the tandem-tow dolly is not having the extra storage from the trailer. But as usual, I have found more than enough extra room to take all my nessesary items, not to mention the real important unneccessaty ones as well. Will be in West Yellowstone next week, so far this trip has gone pretty well.

RandandDoug
Explorer
Explorer
rthoma1 wrote:
I have a Tandem Tow Dolly I just bought it last month and only have one trip on it so far. I can say that the bike loads every easy and I did not notice any difference towing. We had a Kar Kaddy SS before I really like being able to take either our bike or Golf cart with us. I bought the 4 foot bed because I am only going to take one bike or a golf cart and I did not want the dolly to be any longer that in had to be because of space in some campsites. The only problem I am having with it is deciding what kind of trailer lock to use on it. The brakes are so big the cable through the wheel to frame will not work. I just don't think the $19 Wall Mart hitch lock would slow anyone down and at some events it may be a little too tempting setting unlocked.

I went with the master lock hitch receiver one I picked up at an auto part store, I will also keep the pin lock in. In some cases I may even run a good bicycle lock cable through the wheels. None of these would stop a thief, but put them together and it would sure be a hassle.
Seems as though I will have plenty of room on the rack for both HDs, am going to be loading it all up next week to go to a scale and check my weights. I think it is probably set right where I need it to be already.
Will be taking the long way from Tx to West Yellowstone in a couple weeks, good long trip with a few side adventures, hopefully will remember to update when we get there.

rthoma1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tandem Tow Dolly I just bought it last month and only have one trip on it so far. I can say that the bike loads every easy and I did not notice any difference towing. We had a Kar Kaddy SS before I really like being able to take either our bike or Golf cart with us. I bought the 4 foot bed because I am only going to take one bike or a golf cart and I did not want the dolly to be any longer that in had to be because of space in some campsites. The only problem I am having with it is deciding what kind of trailer lock to use on it. The brakes are so big the cable through the wheel to frame will not work. I just don't think the $19 Wall Mart hitch lock would slow anyone down and at some events it may be a little too tempting setting unlocked.

RandandDoug
Explorer
Explorer
Am getting ready to go pickup a used hdxl in a couple days. The only issue I think I will run into is the one we are buying has the 6ft by 8ft deck instead of the 8 by 8. We have an Electra glide and a heritage softail. It will be close, but luckily the chocks are mounted facing opposite directions. Hopefully wont have to remove crash bars or anything.
Next week will have it home and start playing with the thing.
Will update then. Looks like what we have needed from the beginning.

mikey52
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any experience with the set up, but I am also considering getting a tandem dolly to tow my motorcycle and vehicle. The units look like they would do a great job.
2013 Discovery 40x
2016 GMC Canyon
2011 BMW R1200RT