Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips for people with back pain

AlexCaro
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone!

I love to travel and spend time somewhere outside the city. Unfortunately, the past years have been a disaster for me because I can't spend a night without my bad. I used to work as a carpenter, got a back injury, and now suffer from lower back pain. It's very hard to spend more than 6-7 hours in the car. I even tried using a massage seat covers, but it didn't help. My therapist advised me to buy a good pillow that I can use in the car during a trip. Maybe you have the same problem and can suggest any tips to make a car trip easier to 'survive'?

Regards, Alex
16 REPLIES 16

Stevebx
Explorer
Explorer
For years now I have used a rolled up towel- hand towel size, roll up tightly the long way, secure the ends with rubber bands - I place it across my lower back, very low, which helps a great deal when I drive. I tried all the seat cushions, back cushions, you name it and they didn't work. My truck seat has adjustable lumbar, and that doesn't help. The simple rolled towel does the trick and you can adjust its location every so often to alleviate any pain. I think a PT gave me that idea. I stop every two hours so the dog and I can get out and stretch, which also is important. Good luck, I know how miserable back issues can be.
Steven Brewer

AlexCaro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot for your suggestions! I do agree that pills are not the right answer. The injury wasn't that bad to do a surgery, but my doctor gave me special gymnastics to reduce pain, which I have to do every day. At first, it was hard for me to sleep on the back or just to sit, I didn't know what to do. So my friend bought me a pillow for reducing the pain. I can't say that the pain is completely gone, but, at least, I can sit without problems. So I decided to try out other types of pillows, found an article with a description of pillows for back pain, and bought some of them. Unfortunately, not all of them worked great, some made even worse. For example, I didn't like the body pillow because it was uncomfortable to sleep with, or maybe I just couldn't find the right position. The best for me were cervical support pillow and wedge-shaped pillows. Even my cat prefers to sleep on a wedge pillow.

As for gymnastics, I'm trying to do the exercises twice a day and it does help. I feel better now.

we3
Explorer
Explorer
I have added to my driving hours by adjusting the seat throughout the drive. For me changing pressure points makes a huge difference. I will not purchase a vehicle without a 6 way seat. Also I carry seat cushions that are different thicknesses to also change the pressure points. I also have had surgery and worked well for me.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had back pain from light arthritis. I make frequent stops and move around, get the blood flowing.
A friend of mine was almost killed in a wreck in the early 80โ€™s. He has been on opioids for years. His back x-rays look like a hardware store. About three years ago he tried CBD drops too. Now instead of a pain killer three times a day itโ€™s cbd twice a day. If he really over does it heโ€™ll take a half pain pill, but it takes a lot of strain to require it.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Do what the Dr/Orthopedist says.
If you want to self treat, exercise or at least stretching REGULARLY.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on back issue. In my case having a stable/firmer driver seat made a significant difference ... that's kinda opposite from the pillow recommendation from your doctor. You may just have to experiment to find the right solution. In the interim .... occasionally pull off the road and relax/walk.
Kevin

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Get to a neurosurgeon. Have MRI. Then discuss your condition and treatment options. You don't have to do anything that you don't want to do after that. Pain pills are not the answer.

good advice. that's what I did, see my post above. I went from pretty much constant pain affecting what I could do, to something that I noticed on occasion and back to normal activities. No surgery, no pills, just physical theraphy to mitigate the cause and keep it under control.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Get to a neurosurgeon. Have MRI. Then discuss your condition and treatment options. You don't have to do anything that you don't want to do after that. Pain pills are not the answer.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
My wife uses a tapered seat cushion.

My advice: I started having some back pain along with leg pain in my right leg. Then my hip. Had trouble sleeping, driving, sitting. Thinking I was due for a hip replacement I went to a well known hip Dr. After exam, xrays, and MRI the consistent conclusion from all was no, hip was fine. BUT problem was spinal stynosis (sp?) in my lower back. He did not recomend surgery but insisted on physical therapy. I went to the same physical therapist I had for my rotator cuff therapy. She looked at the data, showed me where the problem was, explained what caused it, and what therapy could do. her first excerise I started on started the road to recovery. Did therapy twice/wk for a few months and the pain is basically gone. I get occasional "twinges" but as long as I do some excercises each week and pay attention to what the therapist said, I'm back to normal.

So, my advice get a checkup from a orthopedist and see what they have to say.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
I've been taking CBD drops sublingually since February and haven't needed any pain pills or even advil, etc. since then. Might work for you.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps it's obvious, but different cars have differently shaped seats. It may be worth your time to go to various car dealers and see if you can convince them to let you spend a few hours in the seat of various makes and models; perhaps you'll find one that's less aggravating.

Maybe also try travel by train? Chicago is about as ideal of a jumping off place for a train trip as anywhere in the US, what with it being a key Amatrak hub. Trains allow you to get up and move around much more freely than cars, planes, or RVs.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Take some napoxen before your drive. Back pain is not fun. Keep the drives shorter also. You have to keep trying stuff untill you find something that helps you. Unfortunately, everyones problums are diffrent as are the cures. Good luck.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I suffered from back pain for 46 years, having been diagnosed at age 20. My doctor told me surgery was my only option, but wait till back surgery was more refined. So at age 66, I found a wonderful surgeon. Had my surgery and for the first time in my adult life, I'm out of pain. I ended up with 3 fusions, 2 rods, 6 screws, and 2 cages. I feel none of that and haven't had a pain pill since my surgery 3 years ago.

If surgery isn't an option and you certainly don't want to take pain killers and drive, I suggest as others have, to drive fewer hours, stop often to walk around a bit. Also, and I do this now, wear a back brace. I don't wear it for pain, but it keeps me upright and prevents slouching which contributes to pain and discomfort. I actually have two that I use. I had one I purchased years ago and then my surgeon's PT gave me one.

If you want a surgery opinion, I used a doctor in Indianapolis. He was wonderful and I knew people who had had surgeries done by him. I see you are in Chicago, so that's not far. If you are interested, PM me. My sister is waiting on an appointment for him as we speak. She is looking at surgery and her grandson is as well. He is a neurologist and neurosurgeon. Don't go to those spine doctors who advertise on TV.

I had an inversion table, a home gym, had tried shots, pills, PT, massage, acupuncture, etc. You name it, I tried it. When I saw the doctor, he said. . . surgery is the only cure. He was right. I was hesitant about going under the knife due to all the horror stories, but I was to the point where walking was difficult and impossible at times, I limped badly, and had hip problems due to the limping. So glad I had the surgery.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now I do not know enough about your back problems to make a strong suggestion but I do know about mine... I've had a couple of falls in the 16 foot range (you hit the ground at about 20 MPH when you fall that far) one causing a break to two vertebra (L1 and 2) and have had increasing back pain for 30-40 years that I'm sure of (The falls were closer to 45 years ago)

Now Traction (I thought) would help.. I know back belts weight belts and such helped. but I felt Traction would do better.

There are two Traction systems I choose one.

One is the "inversion" devices like the Teeter Hangups.. Big Bulky and ONLY traction

The one I choose is the Dr. Ho Belt.. This is a compresson belt with air bladders YOu pump it up and it provides both compression support AND traction.

Works fairly well... Not 100% cured but I'm way more comfortable now

Will this help you... I do not know, since as I said I don't know the cause of your back pain.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times