cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To leak or not to leak (Slide Out Stories)

TecheMan
Explorer
Explorer
Please share your electric slide out leak issues also if your slides never leaked along with model and year of the camper. Also when the slide started leaking and how bad it was. This may help others in new purchases as we find out together what brands leak the fastest and worst and the ones that don't.
Thanks TecheMan
1997 24' coleman Sun Ridge Pop-up
1998 F-150 crewcab:E
40 REPLIES 40

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago with no leaks.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
$3000 worth of damage to our Rockwood Roo 23RS. Rear wall had to be replaced along with supports for rear slide. Dealer never found the actual leak but suspected the slide. Since no leak was found the insurance company claimed it was not their problem. No roof damage seen when skin was peeled off.

I sold the camper as soon as I got it repaired.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

germain
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Fleetwood Discovery, slide topper developed pinhole leaks, so top of slide pooled water. We were living in coach while building a house, and the extended exposure to water caused damage to
the insulation in the slide roof. Removed cabinets, sealed with Kilz, replaced insulation, put new ceiling in, put cabinets back up. Outside, sealed top of slide with Herculiner truck bed liner. Stays flexible and is very tough. Put new slide topper on.

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 09 keystone bullet 294 bhs and found water wicking up from under the slide due to the tarp like material. A well placed stranded picture hanging wire now draws water away from traveling under the edge and drips down.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
As far as i know it is not an issue. I've had 2 TT's with slides and no leaks! If you read it on the internet it is not necessarily true. I wouldn't have another trailer without a slide. My next RV will have atleast 2!

Deleted
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
in 7 years of owning our HTT with a 12' slideout, we have NEVER had any leaks.
getting a slidetopper a year after buying the trailer helps even more.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a downer. Our 04 Itasca Spirit C has developed TWO small leaks last couple of months. DW first noticed the over cab bed was wet on the driver's side corner. This of course means the large over cab window is leaking on the left side somewhere. Then she found a small wet spot on the carpet in the bedroom slideout on the driver's side between the bed and rear wall. I checked the slide seals with a light and magnifying glass but found no visible problem. Both bottom corners of the slide out seals look a little worn maybe so I'm hoping that's it. I have an appointment with local rv center to inspect it Thursday. Not concerned about the window since we'll just reseal it but the slide out has me concerned since these leaks can be tough to locate. BTW the leaks were noticed only after very heavy rains while slideouts were deployed but they never leaked before so maybe they're just wearing out. Fingers crossed.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
TecheMan wrote:
...skylight on the slide...

^ This in itself seems like a recipe for problems.

We have 2 on our current TT. Forest River calls it a Sunroom. we only had a small drip from ours once when a piece of sealing tape came up slightly in a corner. put some Dicor in it and pressed it back down and it has been dry for the last 6 years.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TecheMan
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
TecheMan wrote:
silvercorvette wrote:
I owned a 2006 Jayco with a single slide that has never leaked. I have had a 2009 Holiday Rambler Alumascape with 4 slides for less than a week with no leaks but I have driven in very heavy downpours and have been parked in heavy downpours with slides extended.
Wow congrats on the camper with four slides, how would I love to be able to pull something like that. That must change the camping experience from a comfortability standpoint.
Thanks for taking the time to share TecheMan

Our previous fiver had three slides, and they are great until they won't retract. Before buying ask the salesman to demo how to do it manually. Not tell you about it, but DO it. You will be quite entertained.
Thanks Silvercorvette that is great advice I will take you up on that. I'm ready to buy now and have been talking to a salesman via e-mail. But I got the Shingles and it has turned into PHN which has damaged the nerves and will last much longer. This is why I'm having time to do extensive research until I get better.
Thanks for you input I really appreciate it. TecheMan

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
TecheMan wrote:
silvercorvette wrote:
I owned a 2006 Jayco with a single slide that has never leaked. I have had a 2009 Holiday Rambler Alumascape with 4 slides for less than a week with no leaks but I have driven in very heavy downpours and have been parked in heavy downpours with slides extended.
Wow congrats on the camper with four slides, how would I love to be able to pull something like that. That must change the camping experience from a comfortability standpoint.

Our previous fiver had three slides, and they are great until they won't retract. Before buying ask the salesman to demo how to do it manually. Not tell you about it, but DO it. You will be quite entertained.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
Forget slide leaks. They are pretty rare and it would only be a little bit of water anyway. The big flood hazard is the on board plumbing, in particular leaving campground water hooked up and turned on. Many a sad guy has returned from dinner to see water coming out the front door because someone left a faucet open or a pipe burst.

We use campground water ONLY for filling the on board tank. If we leave, we shut off the pump and bleed off the pressure. If in a FHU site, always leave the gray valve open unless saving up gray water to flush hose after dumping the black.

If I am hooked up to water I have a pressure reducer to prevent burst pipes. If I were leaving the camper longer than it takes me to walk my dogs I would stay connected but turn off the valve.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

TecheMan
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

TecheMan
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
Previous TT:
2000 Fleetwood Prowler with one large slide. Must have leaked before we bought it in 2009. The carpet always seemed wet when we extended the slides. We noticed that the side wall of the slide (under the jacknife couch) was soft and moldy! Yikes! The dealer took it in trade anyway. We NEVER would have bought it if we had done our homework like you are and checked it out better before buying it.

Current TT:
2012 321RES Cougar High Country with 3 slides. All three slides are extended 100% of the time at a seasonal site. We're gun-shy and check for leaks all the time. So far, so good.

My advice is if you are purchasing a used unit, check for water damage anywhere near the slide(s), by touch, smell, anything. Water is the enemy! Good luck.
Yeh I agree totally but my phobia about leaky water damage will cause me to by a new TT and watch seals ,roof,windows,pipes,tanks,slides, and any other place water can come in monitor and if I know me I will be on the roof every month or so.
I'm also making perpetration for a permanent cover all the way to the ground before it ever comes home. I know I'm crazy huh.
Thanks Techeman