cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To stock or do not stock

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
We keep our rv stocked with everything we may need so we can leave at a moments notice. Perishables we put in just prior to leaving. Living in hurricane country this becomes our back up plan. I have a check list for each area. All food stuffs are noted with expiration dates plus we rotate items into the stick and brick so that camper stuff is always good to go.....We have friends who never keep anything in their camper and go shop when they get to the campsite. We camp it may be an hours drive to a store. Just too much work if you ask me....
34 REPLIES 34

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YEP........
5vr parked next to house
Fridge On

Only thing needed to go is load grocery bag of perishables & hook up to truck.

Heck....some afternoons you might just find me chilling out in 5vr.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
dewey02 wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
It's a good idea....BUT if you live in freezing areas (our previous home town got to 32 below in the winter)....you don't want to leave liquids in the rig. ๐Ÿ™‚ Trust me...they'll freeze unless you have heat in it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh -- it's not the freezing that's bad, it's the thawing that creates a mess.

Good point. Our TT is in winter storage 30 miles away right now. No food, clothes, or liquids in it (except antifreeze).

Agreed, lost a couple cans of Coke one winter!

This is like the "How long does it take you to get ready for a trip?" Posts.

It takes us about three days, BUT we do these three days right after returning from a trip. Replenish any non-perishable foods, filling propane, doing the laundry that needs to go back into the 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
amandasgramma wrote:
It's a good idea....BUT if you live in freezing areas (our previous home town got to 32 below in the winter)....you don't want to leave liquids in the rig. ๐Ÿ™‚ Trust me...they'll freeze unless you have heat in it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh -- it's not the freezing that's bad, it's the thawing that creates a mess.

Good point. Our TT is in winter storage 30 miles away right now. No food, clothes, or liquids in it (except antifreeze).

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
gwalter wrote:
ScottG wrote:
We do the same thing you do. It only takes us 15 minutes to be ready to go.

X2

X6 or so!

Not sure about your 15 minutes and out the door though. Currently with 5er at the storage lot our best time has been 75 minutes! That is from the time I walked out of the office until we were pulling out of the storage lot headed for the Campground!
This included getting perishables into tote, and loaded into fiver, Hitch installed in TV and rear tires aired up to 70#, getting back seat set for the dogs, plus the stop at home in the middle of the eight mile drive to the storage yard.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
I usually hide a couple of logs under the firepit to use for the first nite if we get in late and haven't found the firewood stack yet.

Roy Ken

Be careful Roy. The EAB police are gonna getcha!:)

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared"
You never know when or why you might need a food supply, place to cook, place to sleep, or any of the essentials that a travel trailer can provide.
And there may be some events where you just need to hook up and get out of town!

Yes, we keep it stocked and ready to go, except for any foods that won't hold or refrigerate well.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the season I am pretty much already stocked up and ready to go. We live out of four or five of those ACTION PACKERS (LOWES) and these get added just before we hit the road.

I can put all of these across the back of my front deck on my OFF-ROAD POPUP. I also have a couple of the 7-gallon Aqua-tainer totes to capture our gray water and a couple of fresh water 5-gallon totes.

We also carry one of those 32-inch fire pits we can situp closer to the patio... I usually hide a couple of logs under the firepit to use for the first nite if we get in late and haven't found the firewood stack yet.

I carry one of those folding two wheeled carts too. Sometimes water is pretty far away from the camp site... I can drag off gray water and bring back fresh water hehe...

Everything else is pretty much stored in the floor area and cabinets of the POPUP trailer during the season.

Our clothes and Cole Road Trip goes in the truck bed. My 22-inch HDTV goes into the trailer floor area. I carry a 5-day ICE CHEST in the bed of the truck loaded down with ice with a 4-inch deep closed box with lid sitting on top of the ice for things we don't want to get water logged.. meats etc...

My back seat usually gets loaded down with groceries from a WALMART when get close to the camp site...

This photo shows my truck bed pretty much filled up for the camping trip. Actually between the 5X8 Front deck on the camper and the truck bed we can carry some serious camping supplies - all covered from the elements...

Load this area down and cover with tarp...

This is pretty much our routine.

My OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer is also our POWER PLANT when we lose power at the house. I run Extension Cords from the trailer into the house to run the important thing like HDTV and fridge and a couple of lights. The 120VAC fan on the fireplace is important too haha... Will run our trailer battery bank down to around 12.0VDC over night and then re-charge back up the next morning using my 2KW generator for three hours - just like we do when camping... A great PLAN B to have at home. SOmetimes we runout of gasoline for the generator but can always suck out gas from the cars when this happens. We only have one local gas station with emergency power here in our county.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We stock our RV in late March and remove all food stuffs in late November, hopefully before our first hard freeze. We keep clothing in the RV, ready to go ALL the time. Our bedding/linens/towels, etc are brought in, washed, dried and packed into the space bags and stored in the RV.

When spring arrives, we will re-stock with everything we need and clothing and are ready to go in about an hour. Thereafter, 10 minutes to grab meds, phones, laptops, perishables and we are out the door.

Our pots and pans, utensils, shampoos, televisions, etc. are left in the RV over the winter. I was bringing in the body wash, shampoo, and that type stuff, but forgot it one fall. It was fine in the spring, so I started leaving it or I would forget it. It's never full, so plenty of room for expansion. The pots and pans, utensils, plates, bowls, etc. are washed on the first trip of the year, just in case any critters have made their way in there.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
From mid-March through October we are stocked and ready to go, and since TT is stored in our backyard always plugged in, we can be on the road in a moment's notice. Since most of our trips are without hook-ups we keep our FW & WH tanks filled all season as well.

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
We have used, and will use again if needed, our fiver for hurricane evacuation, but we don't keep it stocked with food and clothing. A hurricane is not like a tornado that occurs quickly with little warning. One has hurricane warnings days ahead of the hurricane actually striking that allows you ample time to load up and go. When you evacuate stay off the interstates though. Plot your escape on secondary roads, if possible, as they will not be grid locked with traffic.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
For everything that has to be taken to the RV before departing for a trip - 10% of the items will be forgotten, and have to be purchased on the road.

Keeping the RV stocked minimized the chances of forgetting something important.

I always kept clothes in the TT before we went full-timing. The wife didn't.

One night I had to postpone going to bed and drive her to Walmart so she could buy underwear, which she had forgotten to pack. And since it was a COE park, we had to park the truck at the gate and walk over a mile back to the campsite.

In Texas, we tend to do things differently than some places. We would stock the rig in September, and clear everything out in early June. Because late June, July and August are simply miserable for camping with daily temps over 100. We have camped every Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and Mar since we got our first TT.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We also stock the trailer at the beginning of the season and empty at the end of the season including bedding and towels etc. Just bring perishables and personals and can be ready to go in 20 minutes.

BillPenn
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with rk911... Most of our camping trips are 2-3 day weekend trips. The easier it is to get ready, the more often we will go.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing about an RV is that it's a great secondary shelter if you ever have a catastrophic emergency such as a home fire, hurricane, earthquake, etc. We leave ours stocked with everything but perishables all the time. We could move into it without any preparation at all, and have at least 10 days provisions.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)