cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Problem - Steering Pulling

jday1952
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco Melbourne with a Falcon 2 tow bar and tow a Chevy HHR. I've been using the Falcon 2 for 6 years and towing the HHR for the past 5 years without any issues. Today, after not towing for the past year (due to spinal surgery) I hooked up the HHR and started on a short drive. I noticed immediately that the steering pulled hard left. In fact, I had to keep the steering wheel turned about 30 degrees to keep the RV straight.

The wheel alignment on both the Jayco and the HHR are good and both drive perfectly straight on their own. The "pulling" only happens when towing. Because of this, I assume this must be a tow bar problem, but a visual inspection of the tow bar and the mounting doesn't show anything. Does this make sense to anyone and can anyone suggest how I might fix this? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

jday1952
Explorer
Explorer
The good news is that the tires on the HHR were the original tires (since 2010) and had 40,000+ miles on them. I was planning on getting new tires before our first real trip. The other day when I noticed the problem was just a local run checking everything out. Yesterday, I had new tires put on the HHR. Ready to head out this next week.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that even after a short drive you would have felt feathering on the front tires of the toad from them being drug sideways. But one thing for sure, you would have found the problem on a long drive when the 1st of both front tires blowed out ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
jday1952, we all have those moments, but I'm glad you took a time-out to post the problem before you burned the tires off your car. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy to hear your spinal surgery is behind you & you can return to enjoying your coach.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phew!

This really sounded bad at the start. Good thing it was so easy to fix. And that it was fixed before serious tight maneuvering tore something up back there.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

jday1952
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 thanks! I really feel stupid. I hadn't used the RV in a year because of spinal surgery, but during that year there was a recall on the HHR for a problem with the ignition switch. Before that I couldn't turn the key to the off position and remove it while the car was I neutral. Now I can. So without thinking that is what I did. It tows fine and straight now that you reminded me to leave it in the acc position and key in. Thanks again.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Does your ignition key need to be in the acc position to free the steering wheel lock?

If your steering locks even at a small angle it'll cause the pull you're experiencing.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
To bar not pulling the car straight down the road. Get someone to follow you to confirm that the car is crawling to one side.