cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon plan changes!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the new Verizon rate plans HERE.

All plans have unlimited talk & text, you pick the data amount and pay accordingly. $20/month line fee per phone, less for other devices.

Dropped my bill $16/month.

The site shows you a before/after bill comparison, so it's easy to see how much you may save (or not.)

There are also now similar prepaid plans. Not too long ago Verizon did not support any 4G prepaid devices. Now there are lots. You can also use a phone you already have and get a SIM card kit for $50, with 1 month service included. 1 GB data is $45 and if you auto-renew you get another free GB.

Verizon is the ONLY carrier in my area with usable coverage, so I've been reluctant to switch to Straight Talk or other discount carriers. Straight Talk runs off ATT towers, and ATT coverage around here stinks. I've also found that Verizon has best coverage over all the country in rural areas(at least east of the Rockies.)
Very important for those of us who prefer to travel in the boonies.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
32 REPLIES 32

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
TXiceman wrote:
AS full timers, we need coverage, so we put up with the rates from Verizon. The carriesrs like Sprint, Tracfone, Straight Talk just do not have the needed coverage.

So you get what you pay for.

Ken

That's certainly the case in my rural area.

If you drive mostly on interstates, and live in a town over 100,000, the smaller carriers are fine. But not down here in the backroads and tiny towns.

Verizon now has a pre-paid plan for $45/month, just like Straight Talk. I may go to that soon.

So far as paying for a phone.... save $10/month (which almost anyone can manage) and you will have enough to replace a phone when it dies. Even including the $10/month, I am way ahead with Verizon's new pricing.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
YO coolman, thanks for the link.

We were getting 10G for what they now offer for 12. I just got of the phone and had a 2 G bump on our plan and all costs remain the same. :C

Well that was a crock. :M When we checked our bill we found out that on that plan they bumped the line usage on each phone. In reality it was $180 per year for the 2 extra gig. The sales guy was dumb in public or deceptive. We are back to where we started from.

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
My work provides me with a cell phone and ATT coverage. Works great everywhere I travel (I'm a professional truck driver). I also have a personal phone through T-Mobile, and my wife and two kids in college are on the same plan. For our phones we have unlimited text and talk and share 10G data. I never run out of data, nor do my young adult kids away at college. We pay $120 a month for all four phones. And yes we bought our phones outright and I will never again have a two year contract. Done with that. And for the record, where T-Mobile might not have coverage, they still work off the other guys towers. It's very rare my T-Mobile phone will not work and my ATT one will. That's just been my experience and I make my living on the interstate. Hans
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Verizon, love their towers hate their prices. Got Tracfone.
Same for me.
With Verizon 2 phones = $79/month.
With Tracfone 2 phones = $16/month.

I now have texting that would cost extra from Verizon and more minutes than my wife and I will ever use.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
The site shows you a before/after bill comparison, so it's easy to see how much you may save (or not.)

Last October when Verizon was running a special ("More Everything") after killing off Millenicom, I picked up a 40GB data plan for the price of a 20GB plan.

If I tried this with Verizon's newest plan, I'd end up paying about $100 more.

I'll stick with More Everything.

I'm with you...I'm not giving up my 40 Gig plan....
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
This again? How many of these threads are there running concurrently?

Mods are snoozing, LOL!

Prob belongs on *Technology Corner*..:?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
DSDP Don wrote:
I can guarantee you that Verizon, ATT, Sprint and others never make changes that they don't profit from. This latest change has been carefully crafted to save some people money, but in the overall picture will generate more money for Verizon. It's the American way!

and there ain't nuthin wrong with that.

Yep. Consider too that increasing the number of customers is one way to make more money, even if you make less from each. So it is theoretically possible for them to change something which also saves individuals money.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have switched to Total Wireless. Uses Verizon towers, unlimited talk and text and 5GB data. We both have android phones but type of phone does not matter. $60,00 a month includes both.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
AS full timers, we need coverage, so we put up with the rates from Verizon. The carriesrs like Sprint, Tracfone, Straight Talk just do not have the needed coverage.

So you get what you pay for.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had US Cellular, I think some time ago and Verizon bought them in our area.
Of necessity we had phones and plan that allowed us to roam off anyone's towers including GSM. Sometimes it was a pain to get on to other towers though.
They never told us they were changing to where we could only use their service.
I cannot be out of pocket. So I'm going to try to get them to reactivate my older phone.
If not I guess I'll have to pay two carriers.
two hundred fifty a month for three phones and MIFI is highway robbery.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Verizon, love their towers hate their prices. Got Tracfone.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
I can guarantee you that Verizon, ATT, Sprint and others never make changes that they don't profit from. This latest change has been carefully crafted to save some people money, but in the overall picture will generate more money for Verizon. It's the American way!

and there ain't nuthin wrong with that.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon is the most expensive wireless service in existence. Even with a slight reduction they are still too much compared to others.

If you want inexpensive check out Republic Wireless but if you want to stay with Verizon look into Total Wireless which is Verizon 3G.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:

Well yep.