cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

W/D Hitch Set-Up Help

Paul-V
Explorer
Explorer
So I bought my new toyhauler last week when I still had my old Nissan Titan Pro4X. I picked up the trailer and they set everything up on the truck and trailer and showed me how to connect it and so forth. Just this past weekend I decided I wanted a bigger truck and bought a new Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi.

Obviously this truck is taller and I know I have to lower my ball height to compensate for this. However; on my shank I am at the last two holes and can't go any lower. I went down to my local RV stealership where I bought my camper and they said they can't assist me with what I will need until I hook up the new truck to the trailer and take it down there. I asked since I plan to carry multiple quads and it has a fuel tank on the front if I should load all that up so the measurements can be taken that way. They said no, do it empty. But, I have also read to do it loaded so you know how level it will be when under realistic towing conditions?

So my question is, knowing that my new truck is taller, should I just bite the bullet and buy a longer shank ($122) or just load it up and hope it sits level with the additional weight? Below is the trailer with old hitch.

4 REPLIES 4

Paul-V
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered a 14 inch shank to give me plenty of options, I was about 5 inches higher with the new truck.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing, went from a Ram 1500 to a Ram 2500. Called Eaz-Lift and they gave me the model number of the insert required for the new truck. Looked up the model number on Amazon and ordered a new insert of $87.00. They delivered the insert in two days.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paul-V wrote:
Obviously this truck is taller and I know I have to lower my ball height to compensate for this. However; on my shank I am at the last two holes and can't go any lower.

In addition to taller height, the Ram probably has stiffer tires and suspension. Compared to the Nissan, that would mean less squat with the same amount of weight, and possibly more ball drop needed.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure where your dealership is. But you would be better off to load the trailer, and then setup the hitch. and yeah, with a higher sitting truck. You will probably need the larger drop
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers