cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart etiquette?

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I understand it is common practice to not deploy any slideouts when over-nighting at a Walmart but our new unit a Rockwood 2304 DS is a murphy bed model and to let down the bed down to sleep we have to let out one of the slides.
In your opinion do you think this would be wrong to deploy the slide to sleep as long as we stay along the outer rim of the parking lot with the slideout extended over the outer grassy area?
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
91 REPLIES 91

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
TrailerTraveler1 wrote:
We've stayed overnight in WalMarts across the country. We always call ahead and ask. Then pick a spot as far out of the way as possible (sometimes over grass is not available) and put out our slide-out. No chairs and no grill. Of course, our Lance 1685 at 20'9" is not exactly a whopper taking a lot of space anyway. But the slideout always goes out. We also always go into WalMart and buy something ... even if we don't need anything.

The only "problem" we've ever had was on a Saturday night in a small town where apparently "the" place to hang out and cruise was the WalMart parking lot. It was a bit noisy for a few hours. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a similR situation one night at a WM parking lot when several rowdy youths were racing around in Their cars and causing mayhem. They even had the nerve to rap on my door and giggle as they ran away. Never had that problem in any other WM lot after that. Usually was pretty peaceful.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I posted this, but don't see it so ...
I was at the WalMart in Rohnert Park and asked the security patrol if they no longer allowed overnighting. I asked because I didn't see any RV's or trailers in a lot that usually has many.
He said they don't allow it anymore due to abuse. People were disconnecting the parking lot lights and using for their own power source and overstaying their welcome ... I don't know what the facts are, but that's what he told me.

The absence of etiquette by some does not mean we are less obligated to practice etiquette, manners, consideration and the golden rule!

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
Some rest areas along I-5 in Washington and Oregon also seemed to be homeless camps. I wonder how many rest areas are closed or turned into picnic/parking areas (no restrooms or garbage cans) due to regular maintenance costs or added costs for chasing away permanent occupants and illegal dumping of household garbage in the cans.

mlts22 wrote:
That happened at WMs in several Texas cities... they became a de-facto CG for rigs barely road-worthy, problems with drugs and petty crime start happening, and WM finally hands out out trespass notices and makes that location into a no-overnighting location. The WM nearest me has always been an overnighting prohibited location from the get-go (although they do not own the land and facilities, so it likely isn't in their control.)

This does concern me. Texas ripped out virtually all its rest stops and turnoff points in the past few years, so if someone needs to rest, the only real alternative was hitting a WM on a trip, which worked until recently. Wonder where people will go if WM decides to just do a corporate "no overnighting" policy across all locations. I personally have never overnighted at a WM, but there are plenty of reasons why it is useful, especially if there are no CGs around, CGs are full, or just taking a rest and want to park for a few hours.

I know in Austin, come SXSW, some people will park in people's driveways and stay there until the police arrive and give them a formal notice to leave, then move one driveway over, and stay there. The only way to get rid of them is to have a "tow away zone" sign in plain sight on the property.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
BigRabbitMan wrote:
jake2250 wrote:

On my way fishing early last week, passed by a WM, three Sheriffs cars and big wrecker cleaning the lot just before 5 AM!

I would be interested in where this occurred as I am formerly from Northern CA and frequently stay at a Walmart or two when visiting friends and relatives in the area.

Roseville Sacramento area

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:

On my way fishing early last week, passed by a WM, three Sheriffs cars and big wrecker cleaning the lot just before 5 AM!

I would be interested in where this occurred as I am formerly from Northern CA and frequently stay at a Walmart or two when visiting friends and relatives in the area.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
jake2250 wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Walmart encourages Rv'ers to overnight in their parking lots (where local ordinances don't forbid it) if you need to. I am going to continue to accept their hospitality.

You should check with that particular WM, that practice has been canceled at most WM in Northern CA.

Abuse of the privilege has ruined it for all!!!
I won't ever be in CA so that won't be an issue for me.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
hooligan wrote:
After all the shoulda woulda and I never- It comes down to Walmart policy.
Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

Ask the manager...

This says it all! Not ALL WalMarts will allow you to park. Check the local ordinances and ASK. How difficult is that?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Walmart encourages Rv'ers to overnight in their parking lots (where local ordinances don't forbid it) if you need to. I am going to continue to accept their hospitality.

You should check with that particular WM, that practice has been canceled at most WM in Northern CA.

Abuse of the privilege has ruined it for all!!!

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
It does not have to be a church, home depot, lowes, kmart, church, mall etc.. I have stayed at all these places without a problem.

As long as the town doesn't have an ordinance against overnight parking, parking in large parking lots shouldn't be a problem.

The nice thing about WalMart is they have a policy encouraging the use of their parking lot for overnight parking for RVs. Even in a town that doesn't ban overnight parking, a concerned LEO might be knocking on the camper door in the middle of the night if parking somewhere else.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walmart etiquette?? :H

The two words don't belong in the same sentence.

Deploy your slide and get some sleep.

Need more proof? don't say I didn't warn you...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Anyone tried a graveyard parking lot? Nobody is going to get up & bother you there.

In NYC, locally, most of the boroughs have a nickname. Brooklyn is the "Borough of Churches" and Queens is the "Borough of Cemeteries". Lots o' veddy exclusive gated communities in Queens that I'll pass on for as long as possible;).

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Anyone tried a graveyard parking lot? Nobody is going to get up & bother you there.

You obviously don't watch the same movies I do.... ๐Ÿ˜‰

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
some churches are putting up gates.
here in my neck of the woods that is starting to become the norm

It does not have to be a church, home depot, lowes, kmart, church, mall etc.. I have stayed at all these places without a problem.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K