cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water filters

LVTOCMP
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about using an inline water filter for our next season of camping. We currently drink bottled water. The question I have is how do you know when the filter has completed the filtering process and you need to purchase a new filter. I am looking at using the blue inline filter.
Jerry
25 REPLIES 25

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
I'd strongly recommend AGAINST an RO system in an RV. Bulky, wasteful, ect.

to each his own .... we learned by testing the water (wife is a former chemistry teacher) during our travels around the country that there are way too many areas where the quality of the water is very, very poor .... we installed a RO system under the kitchen sink in our 5er about 4 years ago and have been delighted with it .... we haven't had to buy a single bottle of water since and it also provides us with all of the water needed for our portable ice maker .... we also use two whole hose filters connected in line between the CG water outlet and our camper .... the first has a sediment filter, the second a charcoal filter element .... having clear canisters makes it easier to monitor the condition of the filters

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We just use the cheap blue ones. Depending on how long we are camping for, we just usually change it out after a couple months. We don't drink any water in the camper. We buy bottled water. Even at home, we buy bottled water. We use the blue filter to more or less keep out possible sediment. You never know what the campgrounds or rv parks water source is.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

pdmac1946
Explorer
Explorer
Use a blue filter on city water inlet and fill a filtered water pitcher for in the fridge.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
I filter and soften my water, but will continue to carry bottled drinking water from a source I am very familiar with. If we run out we purchase gallons of bottled water at the grocery store, checking the source information on the label.

make our own bottled water. out of the fresh tank, into a bottle, into the fridge, then drink it.

Unless potable tap water has a really bad taste for some reason, IMHO bottled water is a terrible waste of resources and no need for it but to each his own. In the majority of cases it's just municipal water that's maybe filtered again then put into bottles.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
LVTOCMP wrote:
I am thinking about using an inline water filter for our next season of camping. We currently drink bottled water. The question I have is how do you know when the filter has completed the filtering process and you need to purchase a new filter. I am looking at using the blue inline filter.

replace it at the beginning of the camping season, usually mid feb or so. I fill the trailer fresh water through a filter and have a culligan filter/spout by the sink. Don't have bottled water, just drink from the fresh tank. Normally the culligan really isn't needed, but it is nice if we get to a place with lots of chlorine or iron in the water.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trlrboy wrote:
We did THIS.

i like what you did. mine is configured differently but should be adaptable. maybe some longer hoses or pipes.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the blue inline filter all season. I also have a whole house filter installed from the factory standard. I only put a cartridge in the whole house when I know I`m going to be camping with no water hookups that year and I`m running off the tank. besides either of those 2, I have a drinking water faucet w/filter mounted at the kitchen sink. either way I`m filtered.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
We did THIS.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
ge has a large 10 in housing, available at home depot that includes a remote unit that tells you it is time to change.about 70.00. it is a whole house filter intended for home use. it uses any of the ten inch filters.
they have all the hdwe to couple it to garden type hoses
i buy a charcoal/silver etc filter at lowes it is 5 microns it is about 30.00. they have lower flow filters intended for under the sink use of.5 micron that will fit plus the internet has so many it will confuse you

note i took off the cheap chinese zinc hose connector and installed a good brass quick hose fitting connect in it's place into the 3/4 in down to hose size fitting.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
ge has a large 10 in housing, available at home depot that includes a remote unit that tells you it is time to change.about 70.00. it is a whole house filter intended for home use. it uses any of the ten inch filters.
they have all the hdwe to couple it to garden type hoses
i buy a charcoal/silver etc filter at lowes it is 5 microns it is about 30.00. they have lower flow filters intended for under the sink use of.5 micron that will fit plus the internet has so many it will confuse you

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We use the blue in line filter for the past several years. Last year we had a water softner installed in storage area. Works fantastic and got rid of a lot of the water spots in the shower. I highly recognize it.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Bonefish wrote:
It depends upon the type of camping you are doing.

RO systems waist around 4 gallons of bypass water for every gallon of water you get.

The SteriPen only takes out pathogens but not any chemicals or soluble compounds that may be in the water (lead, PCB, benzenes, etc.).

You need combination type filers that take out solids, pathogens and carbon filters to take out water born chemicals.

I'd strongly recommend AGAINST an RO system in an RV. Bulky, wasteful, ect. I've owned a couple in the house and while they work OK, I've gone back to the simple 2-stage system you see in the home centers.

BTW, in the trailer, we use the Pur faucet mounted filter like the member above posted and it works fine. A light goes on when the filter needs to be changed. Only downside is it's a bit slow when working off the water pump but we can live with it. Simple solution IMO. If you want something different, just go with the basic canister style filter system, either single or dual stage.

I was NOT suggesting an RO system as someone previously said they had.
We have a two filters one a cartridge type which takes out turbidity, chemicals, patogens and a second one under the sink which refilters for drinking cooking purposes. This has been tested on a camp site where it was found that the water was pumped out of a lake and non-treated. We had been using it with no ill effects other that the first filter got plugged up and on inspection it was filled with minnows and tadpole pieces. :R

N3YMY
Explorer
Explorer
LVTOCMP wrote:

The inline filters in general are horrible and a waste of $$ IMHO.

Most of (all?) filter at 100 microns. You can drive a truck through that!

We use a two stage filter system: 1 micro particulate followed by a 5 micron KDF filter.

The particulate filter is in a clear tub, so you can observe the soluble particulate.

When it looks dirty, change it.

the KDF, we change it every 2-3 years...

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I take a low tech approach. I buy gallon jugs of distilled water in grocery stores as I travel. About 50 cents a jug, for coffee and cooking.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.